IGNORED

Quick Release Tour Pack?

Anyone ever attempted to make the rear trunk set up as a quick release?

I am thinking about it for a winter project. Just another thing added to my to do list for the winter if possible.

I would love to have this option along with the rear seat as a quick detach also.

I don't understand why Japanese manufacturers have not caught on to these type of feature. These features are what make "Harleys" so attractive.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::goodpost:

"""""and it was STANDARD on our Mk1's!!!!!!!""""""

Ya still gotta buy the docking plate and hardware for the HD's to convert them over to quick release but I TOTALLY agree that NO ONE - bar NONE - has the "make it like you want it" parts availability like HD does. Plus, no joke, their quality is second to none even in their clothing..

Grubs,, I have always thought that if I somehow found a path away from these MK1's and on to a 2nd Gen the first thing I would have to do is undergo the project you are speaking of.. Matter of fact,, I also often thought that if I landed a MK2 Gen1 I would have to transform it into MK1 too..

GOTTA BE DOABLE GRUBS!! :fingers crossed:that you share your project with pics and stories when you do it cause I KNOW there are folks here who would appreciate it - mayself included!!

By the way,, helped my neighbor tear apart his Ultra Limited not long ago to install the quick release dock for the trunk on his scoot.. Seemed like he had just under a grand in hard ware for the job and it took as couple hours to complete the job (not bad).. WOWZY did that change the look = instant bagger and a GORGEOUS bagger too!! Seems like Mom Yam had it right with our MK1's and this would be standard on all touring bikes, I mean,, COME ON,, it's only been 34 years :sign20:

• 3 weeks later...

I just wish the side saddle bags had a quick connect. Sure is aggravating messing with those phillips (and I know someone on here had a wingnut solution) head screws to make it easier to clean my whitewalls.

I have considered manufacturing me 8 studs that will accept some sort of pin to make the task quicker. But that would be for a day that I have zero to do, which seem to be very scarce.

• 5 years later...

Grubsie, I made ( or had made)  a quick connect tour pack for an '05 RSTD I had years back. I found a tour pack from a bike junk yard.  I then used the brackets from the RSTD removable backrest. I had a body shop fabricate a rack to attach the  brackets to the tour pack.  I had a car audio place wire up the speakers and wham! A quick release tour pack for a RSTD that looked stock. I wish I still had it. Totaled the bike way back. Hope that helps. I know it's been a long time but maybe it will help someone... 

Yamahalarry. I had purchased a set of quick release bolts from Yamaha way back as well. I believe I found them in a royal star accessories catalog I got with the bike I had. They were a bolt with a big round plastic head you could remove by hand. Hope this helps someone.