IGNORED

Preppers

Condor

After posting to the reloader thread I got to thinking... you all know how dangerous that is... And thought a good subject to talk about this winter around a log burning in the fireplace is....

How many preppers do we have lurking within our midst. Do you consider yourself a 'BOAKYAG' person?? Or a semi Prepper, or a full blown survivalist??? It's always interesting to see what folks think will happen if the 'Poop Hits The Paddle', and just how much and why they Prep???

:97:

When the shlt hits the fan we'll all be in big KaKa. If we have lots of stuff in prep, it won't be long for the whole neighbourhood to show up for their share. People act different when they are hungry and know where there is food,,, all the rights we think we have, will flush down the drain asap. Even if we grow our own garden, the produce will disappear before it's even half ready for the picking, even a shot gun will do little in deterrent. The way I see it, if the fan gets stopped then we'll all be in poop together and will have to figure a way to push the flush handle.

After posting to the reloader thread I got to thinking... you all know how dangerous that is... And thought a good subject to talk about this winter around a log burning in the fireplace is....

How many preppers do we have lurking within our midst. Do you consider yourself a 'BOAKYAG' person?? Or a semi Prepper, or a full blown survivalist??? It's always interesting to see what folks think will happen if the 'Poop Hits The Paddle', and just how much and why they Prep???

:97:

Back when the sky was falling during the massive Y2K crisis our neighbor went and bought, besides other essential items, $1000 worth of toilet paper (SERIOUSLY!!).. Because we live on the outskirts of the civilized society, our area was hit much weaker than most area's that suffered thru that time period and, as far as I know, that person still has a good supply of that product. I know where he keeps the stuff so I probably will just depend on his preparedness and my savvy negotiating skills for me to be able to attain the necessary clean up material for this next poop hitting the fan incident.

While Tip and I have never been Kayaker's, we do still have our little 12 foot row boat and a set of oars along with a couple shot guns and, of course, everyone knows we still have Tweeksis so I guess, technically speaking, we do subscribe to the "B"uy "O"ars "A"nd "K"ayak's, "Y"amaha's "A"nd "G"uns theory of handling such life altering events!!

Excellent thread Jack!!

When the shlt hits the fan we'll all be in big KaKa. If we have lots of stuff in prep, it won't be long for the whole neighbourhood to show up for their share. People act different when they are hungry and know where there is food,,, all the rights we think we have, will flush down the drain asap. Even if we grow our own garden, the produce will disappear before it's even half ready for the picking, even a shot gun will do little in deterrent. The way I see it, if the fan gets stopped then we'll all be in poop together and will have to figure a way to push the flush handle.

If it hits the fan I won't be here to worry about it. We live close the the main target ( Washington ) that when it hits we will be gone any how. Now if it is non nuck I will shoot first and then keep on shooting.

At first I didn't consider myself a prepper, but I bought quite a bit of good for 25 year dried food from an estate auction about a year ago on the cheap. Later on I ran into some more of the stuff and was very happy I got it when I did. Folks were bidding up to retail... didn't make sense?? Since then I've added water, emergency first aid kit, hand warmers, canned LP stove and the LP, and a whole container of essentials... like t-paper and seat etc. I found all this stuff at auctions. So I guess I'm now a mild prepper. I also have a few guns and ammo that will reach out and touch someone. Remember.. when it comes to protection...distance is your friend...

Wouldn't say we're "Preppers" but my wife always has a good stock of food in. Not for any particular reason just if we can't get out etc. Water would probably be more of a problem. As for defending what we have, here in the good old frozen North we're not allowed to do that!!!

we do subscribe to the "B"uy "O"ars "A"nd "K"ayak's, "Y"amaha's "A"nd "G"uns theory of handling such life altering events!!

Excellent thread Jack!!

Now that's creative. I was thinking more along a line that had KISS in it... :-) On the neighbors cache of t-paper. Y2K was almost 18 years ago, and if your neighbor raised a few daughters it'd be gone by now.... :whistling:

My wife is the anti hoarder. She throws everything away. EVERYTHING. I have had to go buy something we needed more than once because she threw away the last one shortly after getting it. I had to section off a part of the basement and mark it my no wife zone just to keep my hunting, fishing, camping, important paperwork, children, exct from getting tossed out. I'm not preped for anything more than a weekend. If that.

SWMBO is a hoarder, including food. The first couple weeks we'll live like kings eating what is in the freezers before it spoils.

The back yard is full of venison, rabbit and squirrel and I have the tools to harvest them. There are enough sides in the pantry to keep them company on a plate for a very long time.

I have the tools to keep at least the small hordes from taking what is ours.

Biggest issue will be drinking water. Probably only have enough on hand to last a couple weeks.

If you REALLY want to be a Prepper, here's what I suggest! Get yourself a copy of the HOLY BIBLE and read it! Have a good talk with a few Evangelists about just who this guy Jesus Christ is, and then decide for yourself if he is who they say he is, and accept Him as your Lord and Savior in your heart as well as your head! Put your whole trust in God to provide for your needs and safety! Then reread everything that deals with the Second Coming of Jesus to this world, and learn about the event that is referred to as the "rapture" although that name never is mentioned. Find out that being a "Prepper" should be living a life of dedication to God and HIS wisdom and you will never have to worry about what happens to this world, it is already decided!

That being said, nowhere in the Bible does it say we need gun control so if you feel the need to arm yourself then go ahead, and make up a "bug-out" kit and have a survival plan and a stash of food, or learn how to survive in the wilderness. You never know when these skills will come in handy if you ever get stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

For myself, when the Zombie Apocolypse happens, I'm going to be alongside Jesus riding a horse and slaying Zombies with blood rising up to the saddle...

IMHO the biggest need post disaster, is knowledge! Not food Not ammo not even a good knife. All of those are useless without the brains to know how and WHEN to use them.

I know several "Preppers" They all boast about there "Stash". But, when you ask them Do you know how to prepare freeze dried food, skin or dress a carcass, dress a serious wound? I get blank stares, or Wife can cook, partner is nurse ect, then I ask if its a disaster and they don't make it what do you do?

IMHO the biggest need post disaster, is knowledge! Not food Not ammo not even a good knife. All of those are useless without the brains to know how and WHEN to use them.

I know several "Preppers" They all boast about there "Stash". But, when you ask them Do you know how to prepare freeze dried food, skin or dress a carcass, dress a serious wound? I get blank stares, or Wife can cook, partner is nurse ect, then I ask if its a disaster and they don't make it what do you do?

I sort of look at it this way... It's better to have the tools and try to figure them out, then to have no tools at all..... You can be a McGuiver without a pocket knife, and all the smarts won't do you a bit of good... IMVHO....

Alright guys let the rest of us iron the secret code. what the heck is BOAKYAG"???:confused24::confused24:

If you are still a youngen when the poop hits the paddle, the interpretation may be = Bend Over And Kiss Your A"nkles" Goodbye (slightly edited in case the youngens reading this is are still riding a PW50 - Family Site and all that ..

If your bending over days are behind you like in my case than perhaps a "Puc's Interpretation" will better serve your future needs if/when the poop hits the paddle = Buy Oar's And Kayak's, Yamaha's And Gun's

In the spirit of staying with this thread, it occurred to me that perhaps the varmints in our club who travel the vastness of our desert regions on less then perfect scoots can back me up and/or speak more precisely to what I am about to say.. IMHO, WATER,,, yep,, good old fashioned - clean drinkable WATER should be on the top of anyone's list if you truely want to prepare.. That probably sounds crazy but, IMHO,, it is amazing how fast things can go down hill (less than 24 hours with no water can be problematic with DEATH in less then 3 days in a desert setting) when no water is available.. Here,, during the modern days of my lifetime,, I have personally rescued more than one person out in the desert regions who's car/bike had broke down and they needed water NOW! I have also had people openly laugh at the gallon jug of water that hangs on the side of my scoot and when asked "what is that dorky looking thing?" replied with a grin "you have obviously never camped or had a break down in the desert have you"..

Truthfully,, it was very common for people to "fast" (go without eating) for +30 days back in the Biblical days and, in modern times - hunger strikes are known to go on even longer than that BUT = WATER,, water is an absolute!!!

All that said, I want each of you preppers who are members here to remember something.. Ol Puc has a pretty good supply of drinkable water in storage right out his front door (Lake Michigan) that he keeps under lock in key just in case.. My plan is to use this water supply for bartering purposes BUT,, if your an upstanding member here in our MC club and crisis happens, you can depend on me for your H2O needs..

The End - well not yet,, but cha never know :missingtooth:

Actually Puc was pretty close, but....It actually comes from an old Indian chief. He really liked to drink tea. One day he drank so much the next morning they found him dead in his TEEPEE..... Just before he died he was understood to mutter... BEND OVER AND KISS YOUR AZTEC GOODBYE...... Or so the story goes... :stickpoke::backinmyday: :beer:

bccfb1d0e5c2bef26b6701c8a01d5960--war-bonnet-american-life.jpg

Actually Puc was pretty close, but....It actually comes from an old Indian chief. He really liked to drink tea. One day he drank so much the next morning they found him dead in his TEEPEE..... Just before he died he was understood to mutter... BEND OVER AND KISS YOUR AZTEC GOODBYE...... Or so the story goes... :stickpoke::backinmyday: :beer:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bc/cf/b1/bccfb1d0e5c2bef26b6701c8a01d5960--war-bonnet-american-life.jpg

:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::crackup::rotf::rotfl::hihi:

In my younger life, I was sure WTSHTF, that my hunting, fishing and outdoorsman skills would make me one of the few survivors left with the task of repopulating the planet for the sake of humanity.

Even when 911 happened I went to Wal-Mart that day and bought them out of ammunition in every caliber I owned a weapon. I still have boxes of shells laying around. My mindset at that time was that we were at war on our own soil and I needed to get ready for the hoards marching up my driveway.

Presently, I'm thinking more about alternate utilities so I can live off the grid as long as possible. We have well water, wild game out the back door and I'm thinking generator for power with maybe wind or solar backup.

But, truth be known, at this stage of life, I'm thinking why bother,?

BongoBobby seems to have a good plan.

I think that we are relating quite personal here, in other words: are you ready, or what are you going to do, or how can you handle it if it should happen.

Now throw in the rest of humanity, as Puc says, water is most important, but food will be a close second, and with today's mentality, that's tomorrow, because I am hungry and haven't eaten since this morning! How will you fare out in your neighbourhood? If there is little water and no food, then what's the use of staying or holding to rules? Folks will soon realize what's important, as do the refugees leaving Syria, Myanmar, Haiti, or many other places around the world. There is no future, only death where they are now, so they move on. They are at least somewhat looked after and that is better than where they were, but if they need to and have the tools, they could or would start shooting very soon.

I think that we are relating quite personal here, in other words: are you ready, or what are you going to do, or how can you handle it if it should happen.

Now throw in the rest of humanity, as Puc says, water is most important, but food will be a close second, and with today's mentality, that's tomorrow, because I am hungry and haven't eaten since this morning! How will you fare out in your neighbourhood? If there is little water and no food, then what's the use of staying or holding to rules? Folks will soon realize what's important, as do the refugees leaving Syria, Myanmar, Haiti, or many other places around the world. There is no future, only death where they are now, so they move on. They are at least somewhat looked after and that is better than where they were, but if they need to and have the tools, they could or would start shooting very soon.

Gotta agree with you and Puc. Water is most important in survival, but there are rivers lakes and streams all over the place except in the middle of some of our desserts... Puc is specially endowed with his Lake Michigan. The second would be protection. Let's face it in a global catastrophe it's gonna be total anarchy. Food would be third. More so if you live in an inner city. Not so much on a ranch or farm on the rural outskirts. The rural'r the better. The forth would be forming territorial alliances. Neighbors, friends, and family. That's the way I picture it if​...TPHTP.... IMHO

I just ran across this prepper list, and to be totally prepared I'd need to add a warehouse out back. I think I'm more of a KISS prepper???

http://www.freedompreppers.com/preppers-checklist-net.pdf

Edited by Condor

So what does a semi-prepper do when he's bored?? He goes out and buys another rifle..... Like Larry Potterfield from MidwayUSA... How many do you need?? Just one more.... :-) :whistling:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110944http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110945

Interarms Whitworth 375H&H Number #3

NICE!!!!:thumbsup:

Speaking from a prepping in case we went 3rd World all of a sudden though,, I think I would go shopping for one of these little critters.. ( http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719722056 ) I like the idea of being able to easily tote a thousand rounds and, I also like its durability factor..

Ya know,, something else maybe being missed here has to do with medical supplies.. I got a hunch that if the power grid went down so normal sewage handling abilities went south - it wouldnt be long and lack of food may be the worst of our worry's,, maybe,, possibly..

I had a buddy (more like a brother, his mom and dad gave me a place to stay after I left home and lived on the street when I was 15) who was really into being a prepper sort.. He had a small farm set up where he raised animals for meat and did his own thing..

He scratched his arm on a barbed wire fence, didnt take immediate precautions and caught some kind of strange flesh eating bug. After a few days of home treating the wound (like we all like to do) it sort of got out of hand and he went to the E.R... The Docs were totally :scared:,,, admitted him, scheduled him for immediate amputation,, survived 3 days after amputation!!!! Less a week after the scratch and my buddy was a goner = HORRIBLE!!

Sometimes I think we forget how close to having those microbes and insects and stuff take back over we are.. Things like Small Pox, Polio, Ebola and stuff are right there just waiting for us to drop our guard... My daughter who is a Pathologist does a lot of work with the CDC and I love picking her brain about that kind of stuff when she comes home to visit. She does a lot of blood work studies in dealing with all kinds of nasty nasty Cancers but WOWZY, some of those other things that are out there just waiting to wipe out man kind are even more spooky..

I think the word "prepper" is like the word "biker" in it brings about an emotional response or conjures up some preconceived notions about what that person would be like. I'm neither of these things but I ride every chance I get, and I have all the things I will need to survive if/when the **** hits the fan.

It might be a sound idea to be prepared for adversity given the times we are living in. People give less of a f98k now than ever before, WWIII is sure not outside the realm of possibility, or even likelihood. We absolutely cant rely on our own gov to not make whatever happens exponentially worse. So yea, I believe that emergency supplies should have bugout items, including a surplus of ammo. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, there is no conspiracy, things are just looking pretty dim on both national and international fronts. I feel like it would be foolish not to have some preparedness, just in case.