IGNORED

v-max rear questions?

I'm thinking this is my next project. A few questions for the experienced among us.

I see a few rears out there with and with out drive shafts for sale. in the $95-$195 range. There is one a few hours from me right in the middle of that range.

1. reading the install and looking at the pictures. IS this a housing to housing swap, or do I pull gears the pictures look one one the write up seems to be the opposite way?

2. Not clear on the drive shaft issue, use the one from the V-max or the one on my bike?

3. which housings do swap? to fit my 2007 RSV?

The VMax housing is not machined for the speedo sensor. You would have to have it machined to do a direct swap. RSVSportmax removes the gears from the VMax rear and installs them into the RSV housing. I suppose you could do it yourself but there's more to it than just pulling out the gears and sticking them into the other housing. It's is outside of my knowledge base to do so. There are clearances and backlash that have to be properly set. When I did it on my '99, I took the easy way out and just did the exchange with RSVSportmax. That is the way that I will do it the next time also.

If I remember correctly, I used my existing drive shaft. I'm almost sure of that.

The VMax housing is not machined for the speedo sensor. You would have to have it machined to do a direct swap. RSVSportmax removes the gears from the VMax rear and installs them into the RSV housing. I suppose you could do it yourself but there's more to it than just pulling out the gears and sticking them into the other housing. It's is outside of my knowledge base to do so. There are clearances and backlash that have to be properly set. When I did it on my '99, I took the easy way out and just did the exchange with RSVSportmax. That is the way that I will do it the next time also.

If I remember correctly, I used my existing drive shaft. I'm almost sure of that.

And if I can even remember?? I thought I'd read that FJR finals could also be used, but not so. However the gears can. Here's a link to a nice right up from someone who's been there.

http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/36418-final-drive-swap-6th-gear-solution.html

I have an extra Vmax pumpkin I'm sick of looking at. I figured it would be a hot item for folks doing mostly city riding, or those that like to launch the bike, but 0 demand so far. I think the stock Venture is pretty much perfectly geared to match the engine and for nice relaxed long open road jaunts it cant be beat. Not much of a city bike though. I'm more likely to throw a Venture pumpkin onto my Vmax than the other way around, but I dont live in the city.

I have the FJR1300 final drive in my 87'VR but it was not a direct swap. I had to machine custom bushings to get the spacing right so I could tighten up the rear axle shaft without binding. On both the First Gens. and the Second Gens. you would use the drive shaft from your bike for the swap. The Vmax drive shaft is too long, and the FJR drive shaft is even longer yet due to longer swing arms on the Vmax and FJR. Unless you are skilled in the "set up" of a ring and pinion gear rear end I would suggest you go with the assembled unit. It's not the skill level of the install of the gears but the access to the shims, and the use of dial indicators that makes this project something more than a "shade tree" project. An improperly set up final drive will result in a final drive failure, or a rear wheel lock up.

If you love "chugging around" in 5th gear at 50 mph then the Vmax final drive swap is not for you. If you enjoy "carving" the twisties, or you pull a trailer, or ride two up with max luggage a lot then you will find the Vmax final drive upgrade very helpful. When installing the final drive, pay particular attention to the placement of the bushings, caliper brackets, and spacing washers. Misplacement of ANY of these items will cause the rear wheel to bind, or the rear brake caliper to be out of alignment with the rear rotor. Don't forget to lube the driveshaft splines and the splines on the rear wheel inner hub before you reinstall the final drive. This would also be a good time to swap out the rear brake pads and forget about the back of your scoot for a while. Just sayin".

Earl

I purchased a V-Max rear for my 2000 Ventura. The rear just replaced the existing one without any problems, something Yamaha should have done.

A world of difference.

There are a few discussions and pictures of the exchange on this site.

labill

SO the link for Blue ridge MX is down the site is no longer available, Does anyone have alternate contact info for that company or john furbar or others who would do the Vmax gear change for me?

I talked to John last week. He knows his website is down and is trying to get it fixed.

Here's his Facebook page for contact info. https://www.facebook.com/RMSportMax/