IGNORED

My sidecar build

mantree91

I bought my venture after a motorcycle wreck that almost took my leg and had me in physical therapy for almost a year. Even with all the PT I was not strong enough to ride the monster with my bum leg. Being in my early 20s I couldn't justify building a trike, this was my chance to build a sidecar. This year I put up the bike for the winter and was thinking I would do some of the upgrades I have been planing. This year I hope to build a new front end to make steering easier. I also want to give a single carb swap. There are also a few electric upgrades I would like to preform such as a new stereo and clean up the wiring.b1ecb1a3575a3e919265141a6042a832.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Electrical upgrades list

New speakers (marine speakers off amazon)

Fix the air ride controller

Dual antennas

New stereo

Cleen up the fuse block

Fix the tail lights

Secure all wiring

Install a car battery in the side case

Glad to see you are on the way back.

With the battery in the stock location it is a common upgrade to use #4 AWG welding cables for the starter. If you are moving the battery to the rear, or even to the side car I would consider going up to #2 AWG welding wire.

OK silly side car question, I have often heard people refer to "flying the car". I have seen photos of the side car up off the ground in both right hand and left hand turns. Which if either is "correct" and is either considered the safe or proper way to take a fast corner?

Glad to see you are on the way back.

With the battery in the stock location it is a common upgrade to use #4 AWG welding cables for the starter. If you are moving the battery to the rear, or even to the side car I would consider going up to #2 AWG welding wire.

OK silly side car question, I have often heard people refer to "flying the car". I have seen photos of the side car up off the ground in both right hand and left hand turns. Which if either is "correct" and is either considered the safe or proper way to take a fast corner?

My plan was to run a heavy cable from the right saddle bag to a stud where the battery is now then just a big frame ground for both.

It's not a stupid question "flying the chair" happens in turns towards the sidecar. The proper way to deal with this is accelerate gently and lean your body over the sidecar to help bring it down.

• 9 months later...

I finally fixed my front upper mount. It is a 1/2 rod end bolted through the upper bolt hole on the frame dropout. This was in answer to the never tight frame clamp that came with the sidecar. 8ad84315cbd2a2afd27b5d9a6cc2c023.jpge146ea1e33f53c0e6c138688842125c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So what is your expectation by switching to a single carburetor?
It is the first step in larger grand plans to build a efi set up for the bike. I just moved in to a new house and there is a vmax sitting down the street with the dreaded 2nd gear failure that I could use as a template of I can talk the guy in to selling it. For now I would use a webber progressive carb.

Ambitious is the EFI. The study of this will expose you to a lot of theory. While there is a lot of stuff to read on the net about it, it isn't easy to find well written or explained information unfortunately. Time is on your side and not unlike many of us who had the itch decades ago when better seemed to always mean bigger;) EFI opens endless possibilities.

A quick comment on a leg injury; I climbed for many years some referred to this line of work as "steeple chasers" one of our crew was involved in a workplace accident. He was launched 30'ish up and about 200' across, as I write this I remember every second of it. Later that year I had an accident that also placed me in rehabilitation, he and I got to spend a lot of time together. After a year and a half he had gained about 80% back. A couple years later the old crew got together for a party at a lake in the woods, where do you think this guy called out hello from, the top of a freaking tree. He was showing the guys he had gained back all his use of his rebuilt leg;) We, all were still traumatized by the memory of the whole event, but he had moved past, somehow putting the whole episode behind him. So change can hurt in all kinds of ways but, it can also open all types of new doors we may have once moved too quickly past to see;)

Patch

Ambitious is the EFI. The study of this will expose you to a lot of theory. While there is a lot of stuff to read on the net about it, it isn't easy to find well written or explained information unfortunately. Time is on your side and not unlike many of us who had the itch decades ago when better seemed to always mean bigger;) EFI opens endless possibilities.

I ride year round so the efi would be nice as the temps dip south of freezing plus the self tuneing aspect and you can run a megasquirt as a flex fuel.

A quick comment on a leg injury; I climbed for many years some referred to this line of work as "steeple chasers" one of our crew was involved in a workplace accident. He was launched 30'ish up and about 200' across, as I write this I remember every second of it. Later that year I had an accident that also placed me in rehabilitation, he and I got to spend a lot of time together. After a year and a half he had gained about 80% back. A couple years later the old crew got together for a party at a lake in the woods, where do you think this guy called out hello from, the top of a freaking tree. He was showing the guys he had gained back all his use of his rebuilt leg;) We, all were still traumatized by the memory of the whole event, but he had moved past, somehow putting the whole episode behind him. So change can hurt in all kinds of ways but, it can also open all types of new doors we may have once moved too quickly past to see;)

Patch

I am almost back to full strength but the fused joints in my foot will never go back to the way they were. That said one of the first things I did when I was out of the boot was get on my wife's 250 rebel and go for a short ride (the vibrations hurt like none other)

I was working on an EFI conversion for the stock Venture carbs. I had most of it worked out except for the $$$$. I was also going to use the Megasquirt in kit form to save a few $$ or the Microsquirt. Either unit is capable of handling the EFI duties as well as the ignition duties and that would also allow COP coils and have fuel and ignition coordinated. Now that my venture is for sale I have pretty much dropped the project other than to see if I can actually make the needed custom parts jusat cuz the machining part is fun.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?128079-EFI-for-the-Ventures

I was working on an EFI conversion for the stock Venture carbs. I had most of it worked out except for the $$$$. I was also going to use the Megasquirt in kit form to save a few $$ or the Microsquirt. Either unit is capable of handling the EFI duties as well as the ignition duties and that would also allow COP coils and have fuel and ignition coordinated. Now that my venture is for sale I have pretty much dropped the project other than to see if I can actually make the needed custom parts jusat cuz the machining part is fun.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?128079-EFI-for-the-Ventures

I would be using the micro squirt. I did see the websight that you are talking about I also saw someone efi on a vmax using gsxr throttle bodys. I was thinking of doing a intake manifold with the injectors in the runners.

I had a short clip of a project I worked showing injectors at low rpm; unfortunately I can't seem to find that clip.

Anyways get the fuel injected as close to the head ports without disturbing air flow will reap the best results especially at higher rpm.

You can experiment with intake lengths for torque if you like but again, that changes at higher rpm where air volume dominates over velocity... fun stuff

The engine should meet expected base lines beforehand or, the results and tuning become a mess.

You can't help but learn through the exercise, especially if time is on your side.

Patch

I had a chance to look closer today at the link. I think they did a very nice job with the conversion!

Likely or possibly moving the injector bodies closer to the intake ports was impractical for this project?? I would prefer the stacks above injection where I could tune air flow and reduce drag and separation.

Thanks for posting that;)

I am thinking you could use the factory rubbers so it would be about the same spacing. The microsquirt would go in place of the CDI since the microsquirt will controll spark and fuel. This setup should give good performance with less maintenance.

• 5 months later...

Finally rebuilding the forks. Have to wait for new parts to come in so I cleaned and sanded the fork lowers since the factory clear coat was coming off. I also had to remove glue that the previous owner had used to hold on some fork protectors. I am going black with them.14b5bd86baacefa993d8d0633dde9743.jpg

I think they came out pretty good. I am replacing all exposed hardware with stainless and the drain screws were replaced with some socket caps as the old ones were pretty badly stripped. I couldn't find the gasket that is suppose to go on them so I used a o-ring.

743f2d3c3a1c0b37b985291171f73697.jpgdec49c6027969551f3f4b32afbdebfb8.jpga59aab0ce16004c71344d4415815532a.jpgdd13a44514adbef0db2c5c2fe2e3db47.jpg

Edited by mantree91

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...