IGNORED

I have entered the twilight zone

Well this is weird. Awhile ago I posted about my battery and high voltage. with your help, I replaced the voltage regulator and all was right with my world. Well coming home from work at a stop light my radio starts to cut out and I noticed my lights dim on the car ahead at the light. I revved up a little to keep the bike from stalling. I made it home ok. After I turned it off, I immediately turned the ignition back on there was nothing at all. I tested the battery and that was fine. I then checked my fuses and pulled each one, including the main and they were all good. Just for giggles and laughs, I turned on the ignition and everything came back on.

What the heck happened? Can a fuse just work itself loose? Even if it did how would the bike keep running? I await your input and knowledge.

Thanks, Paul

So the way Yamaha wired these things the poor ignition switch has most if not all of the voltage go thru it. The contacts are not real large, but worst part is the arch when contacts are skipped across each other. So you had over charging going on now it is sounding like possible switch issues. All is not lost. Over in the 2nd gen tech section look for switch repair. Its a good detailed guide on how to clean it up and repair the switch.

• 2 weeks later...
Never under estimate the strange effects that a bad, corroded or loose ground cable can inflict. Along with all the other things you do don't overlook the simple stuff.

I too thought switch but I can remember some dirty grounds really causing me to scratch my head and increase my vocabulary.

The time that you were running high voltage you were stressing a lot of things. The ignition switch would be one of the things taking a lot of abuse, and we already know that it a weak link when everything is working correctly. Because of the high voltage in the system the amps going thru the switch are also high, it is the amps that take out the switch. So it is very realistic the the switch as damaged by the high voltage/amps and it now gave up.

On the other hand, never underestimate the importance of good grounds, it is entirely possible that some weak grounds were fighting the high voltage to help save some of the other components on the bike.