IGNORED

New Project

stickhandle2

I picked up a new project bike a couple weeks ago and I figured I would start to do some work on it. The bike is a 79 Yamaha XS1100 Special, let's just say it isn't so special right now. My main issue right now is the front brakes are seized so the front wheel won't roll to move the bike around. My question is the bike has dual discs and I am trying to remove the calipers so I will be able to move the bike around the garage.

With the Ural, my RSV, our daughters xj750, a friend's son's GS 450 and another RSV that will in the garage for the winter, the ability to move the xs1100 would make life easier.

Any hints, I have tried tapping the caliper with a hammer and piece of wood, but it is stuck there pretty good.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by stickhandle2
Typing on a tablet

You got bolts out??? LOL!!:Avatars_Gee_George: Sounds like you are on right track. Maybe a little harder Tap?? Try to pry pads back any?? Squirt them with I don't know what would be best. Sure some others been thru this. I never had set stuck that tight or I just got bigger hammer.....:think:

Tapping dont work,,, I like the smackin em with a big ol honkin rubber mallet myself.. Personally I like to leave the caliper bolts in as they may somewhat protect rotors from getting bent should I need to go to a more advance form of smackin in a second stage smack.. For second stage I like to use a hunk of 4x4 against the protrusion on the caliper where the piston would be and a 5 pounder at about 1/2 throttle,, smack,,, SMACK..

I usually open the bleeders too to reduce the chances of fighting hydraulic pressure..

Good smack and they will come loose.. Now frozen brakes in drum,, actually had a set of them puppies I ended up having to cut open = talk about a mess..

I like Carl's idea but cha know what,,, it's amazing how good just brake fluid will also penatrate that stuff too if ya dont have the fixin's Carl's talking about...

ALLLL RIGHT!!! so building an addition can wait for a while then yet?

Funny you say that Carl, Tammie and I have talked about building an addition to the garage, and yes it would be to store the bikes and some other stuff, leaving room in the garage to work on what ever needs to be worked on or to just sit back and relax.