IGNORED

Barons Tach install - no RPM

About 8 or so years ago, I bought a used Baron's 2" mini tachometer with front brake master mount, actually from this group.

I did not get a ROUND-TO-IT with it, so it sat on the shelf in the shop with old mirrors, horns and other MC parts.

So, I picked up a new to me 2006 RSTD last month (6K miles) , to eventually replace my 2006 RSTD (110K miles).

And with all the stuff that is moving over from old to new bike I decided to add the tach on the new bike.

I pulled the tank and hooked it up, by the article in this VR library, cross checked with the Baron's install PDF, but it is not working. I also checked with a few knowledgeable friends on the wiring, seems good.

This unit has 4 wires, red and yellow (which were married together), green and black. It does not have the optional lighting module box. From the previous owner,,, sorry don't remember who,,, the wires have the double bayonet connectors for the coil, the black ground has a ground eye connector.

I hooked the yellow and red to the coil positive (Yamaha red/black wire), the green to the coil negative (Yamaha white wire) and the black ground to chassis ground(tried a couple locations).

The tank is still off the bike but has gas in the carbs to test. When I turn on the key (with kill switch on) the unit lights up and I see the needle post to full and then back to zero. But when I start the engine, it does not register any RPM's.

I redid the connectors on the tach with fresh. tried again, same. I took a jumper cable and hooked the black ground directly to battery ground,, same.

I can add the tank again, as my carbs are about out of gas. But I do not think hooking the gas gauge connector will have any effect.

I thought about swapping the wires on the coil but I'm sure I got it correct. (I do not know if reversing the tach wires on the coil could damage either?

I thought I had seen a conversation on this very problem somewhere (here or Facebook) but cannot find it.

My other test would be to install the tach on my OLD RSTD to see if it works over there. (ironically, I had pulled and reinstalled that tank the day before.)

So,, VR friends, anyone got any input on this. It may simply be that the tach has gone bad, it has been sitting 8 or so years?

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Du-Ron, thanks.

No diagram, but wired as noted on Barons PDF page one. And also following Freebird's article in the Second Gen tech section here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?8810-Tachometer-Install

No add on, no modules. What is "single fire adapter"?

This is just the bullet tach, with 4 wires. Put red and yellow to coil positive (red/black) and the green to coil neg (white) and then the black

ground to chassis.

That matches the Baron's instructions for "without module".

Like I said, I'll pull this and try it on my old RSTD which is 6 feet away.

Thanks, Mike G.

#EDIT - I just went back and looked at the Baron's PDF. I see the adapter at the bottom. It sounds like I need to check into it. But looks like Barons is unmanned anymore.

video below...... says a single fire system needs the tach adapter, a dual system does not. Which do we have on the RSV/RSTD?

It sounds like I should not need it,, but?

But the tach came from someone on this forum, so I "assumed" it was complete. Might be that the PO took it off his bike and did not know the adapter was part of it. ???

Du-Ron, thanks again for pointing it out. Mike G.

Barons tach adapter also available from Dennis Kirk:

https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/243/index.html

Video from Barons

Edited by Mike G in SC

No add on, no modules. What is "single fire adapter"?

A little more research into the pdf shows that the adapter is not needed on the Venture

tachadapter.jpg

However in Freebirds post, he did use the adapter. He called it the control box.

I believe you will have to use it.

A little more research into the pdf shows that the adapter is not needed on the Venture

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110722

However in Freebirds post, he did use the adapter. He called it the control box.

I believe you will have to use it.

DuRon, Thanks, I see that now on the PDF ("not needed,,, Royal Star, RSTD").

The control unit, I thought, was a different module to control the variable color in this unit. But perhaps it's function is needed one way or another. Seller did not include it when I bought it.

I am in Facebook messenger contact with Baron's. (As their email and phone number are no good, but they have an old FB page.)

It may be John B, don't know. He believes the unit is likely bad and has told me I can ship it to him to test. But, he may sell me a used unit at a fair price.

He said my model is old and they do not make the variable color anymore.

He sent me the below picture which, in effect says I don't need it (most carbureted bikes). Old technology on an old bike! who knows..... I'll update this when I get resolution.

Again, thanks, Mike G in SC

Barons tach wiring.jpg