IGNORED

As to-do list grows, fears begin to rise up as to when to continue on and when to sel

The list...

Collector and exhaust are shot

Clutch slave cylinder needs to be rebuilt

Needs all new brake lines and rebuilt cylinders, should I upgrade to generation two forks and front brakes

Gas gauge needs repaired

I've already been shown how to weld and get my headlight switch working

And now we come to the plastic parts which are not good but I haven't seen anything better online.

These are all things that are more than I feel like I can tackle in an unheated garage and I'd have to buy more tools than what I have now. I'm about $2,700 total into it now.

36,500 total miles. Transmission is rebuilt, front fork seals rebuilt, valves adjusted new valve cover gasket, carburetors rebuilt, new TDI box.

I love how this bike fits me and rides. I just torn as to my best decision to be able to ride all next year

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The list...

Needs all new brake lines and rebuilt cylinders, should I upgrade to generation two forks and front brakes

Gas gauge needs repaired

And now we come to the plastic parts which are not good but I haven't seen anything better online.

These are all things that are more than I feel like I can tackle in an unheated garage and I'd have to buy more tools than what I have now. I'm about $2,700 total into it now.

36,500 total miles. Transmission is rebuilt, front fork seals rebuilt, valves adjusted new valve cover gasket, carburetors rebuilt, new TDI box.

I love how this bike fits me and rides. I just torn as to my best decision to be able to ride all next year

Hmmmm I got 5 in tinker total over last 2 yrs.....

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Oops not meaning to hijack... But compare your prices to what same part Harley costs that's what kept me going... Specially knowing I could leave them at go!!

That's what drew me to my Venture in the first place. I am as hardcore anti Harley as anyone you will ever meet. I just have never understood why I want to shake my liver and spleen like that only go slow!

The list...

Gas gauge needs repaired

$2,700 "into it" I take includes the cost to buy the bike...

There comes a point where you put more money and time into something just "because"....no reason other than you want to finish what you started, that it is worth more than money.... whatever that reason.

So you have an '83 with low mileage that still needs work. If you try to sell a 34 year old motorcycle....are you likely to get $2700 for it? Tear it down and part it out and what you have done makes absolutely no difference in what you can get out of it.

You have two choices : cut your losses and sell it for parts and get as much as you can out of it; or, finish the repairs that are required and enjoy the pleasure and satisfaction of riding what you rebuilt next summer.

Second option you might have more into it than it is currently worth, but for the next few years you'll be able to ride it, and sell it for more than a non-running bike.

My vote is to finish the rebuild.

There comes a point where you put more money and time into something just "because"....no reason other than you want to finish what you started, that it is worth more than money.... whatever that reason.

So you have an '83 with low mileage that still needs work. If you try to sell a 34 year old motorcycle....are you likely to get $2700 for it? Tear it down and part it out and what you have done makes absolutely no difference in what you can get out of it.

You have two choices : cut your losses and sell it for parts and get as much as you can out of it; or, finish the repairs that are required and enjoy the pleasure and satisfaction of riding what you rebuilt next summer.

Second option you might have more into it than it is currently worth, but for the next few years you'll be able to ride it, and sell it for more than a non-running bike.

If it fits you and you love it . . . See above

If it fits you and you love it . . . See above
The problem is I struggle with the idea of paying my guy to go ahead and finish her all up, and he could start on it right away and have it ready for me soon, as opposed to the summer when he was backed up five to six weeks at a time. I would be more confident with him doing the work and my maintaining from there once it's a solid and safe riding machine. I'm challenged because I'm mechanical, not a mechanic. I knew there'd be tinkering to do and things that I can do but I know in my heart of hearts that I'm 70% Rider, 30% fixer.

The problem is I struggle with the idea of paying my guy to go ahead and finish her all up, and he could start on it right away and have it ready for me soon, as opposed to the summer when he was backed up five to six weeks at a time. I would be more confident with him doing the work and my maintaining from there once it's a solid and safe riding machine. I'm challenged because I'm mechanical, not a mechanic. I knew there'd be tinkering to do and things that I can do but I know in my heart of hearts that I'm 70% Rider, 30% fixer.

The 70% rider is low on the Yamaha... I would say 85% rider and 15% mechanical.. I have heard time and time again I rarely get these bikes for parts as they are too reliable... So far my bike has been 90/10 to 98/2 first number rider second is mechanical with that just being maintenance.... But do what suits ya. Just know when this makes me cringe but I understand... Your mechanic is done you should have very solid bike for years to come.

Look at what you will have when it is repaired to the point it is reliable. How much would a full dress touring bike cost in any other brand? I see 1500 Goldwings for sale for $4k or more that have over 100k miles on them.

Three years ago, I bought my 89. It looked as perfect as an 89 could and only had 5,914 miles on it. I paid $3800 for it. But it didn't run perfect. It has had some carb issues, ignition issues from corrosion, the slave cylinder is leaking and now the fork seals are leaking and the speedometer is howling. But, there isn't anything else on the road like these Ventures. Nothing beats the sound of that V4 being wound out! Yeah, I'd like a newer reliable touring bike but I don't ride enough to justify what one would cost.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Do the work. Establish a maintenance baseline. Then enjoy riding for the next few years with little or no maintenance at all....

I vote for you to stick with it too. I spent all last winter picking away at mine with a space heater next to me. My goal last winter was to get my 83' in a safe reliable road worthy state, with less emphasis on the aesthetics. After spending the whole summer riding it, i can say it is a good riding/running motorcycle that hasn't really given me any hassle. I too have more $ into the bike than i could sell it for, but sometimes one needs to look at what its worth in :) not in $$. I am mechanically inclined but my experience with older motorcycles is very limited and i am learning all the time. Dont be afraid to dig into the old beast, most rebuild kits for the clutch and brake parts are fairly inexpensive and the way i look at it is if you pay attention while taking something apart you can probably put it back together and if you can't somebody here will be able to guide you.

Clutch cylinder- fairly easy to get to...just buy a new one, they dont cost alot more than a rebuild kit and from what I've read the rebuild kits are hit and miss

Brakes- new lines are fairly simple, i delinked mine, have 2 lines coming from the right hand master cylinder, one line going to each front caliper which i rebuilt myself on my workbench with Yamaha parts in an afternoon

Fuel gauge- probably one of two things here(or both)1. the sending unit on the top of the tank needs romoved and inspected, it can be tested with a multimeter as per the instructions found in the service manual on this site here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?3384-First-Gen-Service-Manuals

If it checks out ok with a meter put it back in the bike, if it doesnt, you may need to follow the following procedure...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?10519-Fuel-Sending-Unit-Adjustment.

Once all the above is established with the sending unit and it is back in the bike try it out, if its still no go...

2. The back of the dash needs to be re-soldered, again something that isnt that hard, i did mine but if you arent comfortable with it someone at an electronics repair place should be able to do it pretty quick and cheap http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?33328-Information-Display-Repair

I can't comment on the exhaust and collector because i haven't had to go down that road yet but im sure someone here should be able to help, check the local classifieds for somone parting out a bike like yours

Don't get discouraged, focus on each job one at a time and you will get there

Edited by Grez007
Added links

If you are mechanical, perhaps you should consider doing more of the time consuming but relatively easy disassembly and assembly instead of paying your mechanic a bunch of money to do it. Get him to fix the things you can't figure out for yourself. Lots of the things that need to be done aren't that difficult once you know how. There is an enormous amount of "how to" knowledge on these forums.

You would need to be rich to own an old bike and pay someone to do all the work on it. People who don't want to work on their bikes get rid of them before they turn 10 years old and dealers don't want to work on them. I bet a new bike could be purchased for the amount the maintenance of an old bike would cost if it was farmed out to a shop.

There are people on this site that have done everything on your list. If you get stuck while doing something the solution is just a posting away.

As mentioned above, unless you have a lot of spare cash to spen on a hobby, owning a 30 year old anything is probably not for someone that is not willing to dive in to do the work. Fixing up your bike will be a labor of love, not for profit, you will never get back the cash you spend. With all of that said, My vote is to keep it and let us help you along.

As for tools, getting new tools is always a good thing, Many super special tools can be borrowed or rented. If you don't already have it, the first tool should be a good set of JIS screwdrivers. There are NO Phillips screws on your bike, they are all JIS.

There are people on this site that have done everything on your list. If you get stuck while doing something the solution is just a posting away.

As mentioned above, unless you have a lot of spare cash to spen on a hobby, owning a 30 year old anything is probably not for someone that is not willing to dive in to do the work. Fixing up your bike will be a labor of love, not for profit, you will never get back the cash you spend. With all of that said, My vote is to keep it and let us help you along.

As for tools, getting new tools is always a good thing, Many super special tools can be borrowed or rented. If you don't already have it, the first tool should be a good set of JIS screwdrivers. There are NO Phillips screws on your bike, they are all JIS.

Cptriker1 sounds just like me only louder! See his post:

Update 10.19.17 The unending hell...

I also don't have access to another set of hands in the garage.

I've made my decision, I'm going to go ahead and have my guy give me quotes on the work. I will do the soldering on the dash and things like that. I put another hundred miles on yesterday afternoon and I just really like this bike. 36500 miles justifies having the work done professionally this time because she has so much life left to live. Besides I couldn't get anything but another Yamaha because I may never find a group of guys like this one! Next year... Maybe we will meet face-to-face?

Thanks all!

Cptriker1 sounds just like me only louder! See his post:

Update 10.19.17 The unending hell...

I also don't have access to another set of hands in the garage.

I've made my decision, I'm going to go ahead and have my guy give me quotes on the work. I will do the soldering on the dash and things like that. I put another hundred miles on yesterday afternoon and I just really like this bike. 36500 miles justifies having the work done professionally this time because she has so much life left to live. Besides I couldn't get anything but another Yamaha because I may never find a group of guys like this one! Next year... Maybe we will meet face-to-face?

Thanks all!

This Is from @skydoc_17 to someone else who has had his bike for over 25 yrs!!!

In the beginning, I was my own worst enemy, I punished myself for not taking my time and doing a good job. As I have gotten older, I have "slowed my roll"! Now, I take my time, I take a break when I get tired, or mad, I don't skimp on the quality of parts I use, and I have found that most of the time, I fix things ONCE, without breaking anything else, and without beating myself up, and I end up with the results I was looking for. This method works really well for me, perhaps it will work well for you too. Sorry to get so "windy" in my explanation of these vital maintenance projects, but I want you to feel that you can do these jobs yourself, and if you need help, ALL of the members of this forum are here to help you! Who could ask for more than that!

Earl

I am confident you can do this work Ty. I was mechanically inclined just cause I like to tinker on things. But before joining this forum never resodered computer boards or took a gas gauge sending unit apart.. Thanks @Freebird for that gas gauge works well!! Never thought about replacing my battery cables but that is thanks @yamagrl for that. I paid someone to rebuild my carbs and clean them. But they just wasn't right. So I bought my own set and the CD everyone recommends... I really thought I knew what I was doing but needed a bit of help. So far I have put 24 into this site and 20 dollars into the carb and engine rebuild CD. So 40 Vic all together which has saved me 1000's. Now I have my exhaust pulled waiting on oil pan gasket and filter. Plus I found I had no problems with my exhaust just pipe fitment and a couple of orings. Really not hard to do IMHO. Specially with the guidance found here. I even tackled going all led to lighten load on the charging system plus added pulsing brake light. All of which with confidence from this sight. Shrevk will be hibernating all winter so why not get in there and attempt on your own. Then you will know what and how and gain confidence as you go. Just my 2 pennies worth. But these bikes are trully a labor of love.

Forgot to put in there that I didn't know jack about bikes... And this site laid that to rest also why I went with the Yamaha v4 then the cruiser style ninja in sheep clothing...

One aspect in my mind that you guys don't know about is that Mark will give me a part list and let me bring in parts that he knows are hard to find find or that I can get better pricing on

I dont know you guys,, gonna sound like Pt 4 of a Grumpy Old Man movie but think I will say it anyway.. Fact is,, I think Ty,, like all the rest of us, needs to examine closely what exactly he is trying to obtain thru this experience. I know from personal experience that wants, needs, desires and all that change over time.

Case in point,, my next door neighbor had a gorgeous 1500 carborated Wing that he purchased from his brother in law to help him out.. Bike was extremly low mileage for an 89 = under 25k and just beautiful.. One day my neighbor, who hadnt ridden in years decided he and his wife were gonna go CTFW with Tip and I for an afternoon and off we went.. Not to far into the trip and he/we discovered that, because of sitting for a while, the Wing had developed a nasty dead spot when taking off from a corner.. No problembo I says,, you and I will pull the carbs and clean em (thinkin old school Wing).. After looking closer at the Wing design I/we found out that Honda decided to go to a 2 barrel carb buried between the frame spars that someone who's hands were in much better shape than mine would have to dismantle = couldnt even get a screw driver between the carb and frame hardley, talk about tight.. A later trip to a Honda shop/mechanic to clean the carb resulted in a 1250 dollar bill.. After getting that resolved the bike sat for another 6 months with only an occasional start up just to keep things operating. When asked why, my neighbor said it was just to much bike for he and his wife, she simply could no longer tolerate sitting on a bike saddle for more than 1/2 hour a day - MAX.. They sold the thing this spring at a major loss and picked up a little Motor Home to do their CTFW(S) on..

Thinking out loud here Ty,, maybe do a little soul searching about exactly what it is that you. personally, are trying to accomplish here.. You wanna ride and tinker on an old scoot that every seal, bearing, wire connection and moveable part as well as stationary part is over 30 years old? We are here for you if that is the case.. You got a ton of cash and wanna turn to labor costs of 100 bucks an hour and beyond = lots of wealthy folks do just that and I tip my hat to em. You do that and you will be just as welcome here as any one... You decide to bail on the project,, take loss,, pick up a smaller, newer, V-Twin Honda Shadow or one of those Honda 800 Pacific Coast things that look like they would run forever and just jump on and go = yep,, still 100% welcome here and still to all and any VR Event or rally.. Shoot,, pick up a new left over Yamaha big scooter,, no shifting, easy to mount cause its step thru and head to the Sturgis Rally after doing one of our Maintenance Days - I would be glad to camp next to ya and wouldn't feel at all uneasy about cruising next to ya on a good all day CTFW..

Just a simple matter of figuring out what is gonna make you happy and fulfilled in your CTFW experience..

All that said Ty,, dont think I ever did hear whether or not your thinking of touring 2 up once ya get a bike where ya want it? That alone could make a big difference in the deciding here IMHO.. Toss another person on there and yea,, you are pretty much gonna find the need for a full blown touring scoot in your man cave..

I will say this,, from my perspective,, bikes are a lot like the people that ride em,, the older they get the more inclined to need maintenance in area's that one would not even think maintenance should be needed.. Hmm,, that was kind of profound = kind of sorta? :big-grin-emoticon:

I dont know you guys,, gonna sound like Pt 4 of a Grumpy Old Man movie but think I will say it anyway.. Fact is,, I think Ty,, like all the rest of us, needs to examine closely what exactly he is trying to obtain thru this experience. I know from personal experience that wants, needs, desires and all that change over time.

Case in point,, my next door neighbor had a gorgeous 1500 carborated Wing that he purchased from his brother in law to help him out.. Bike was extremly low mileage for an 89 = under 25k and just beautiful.. One day my neighbor, who hadnt ridden in years decided he and his wife were gonna go CTFW with Tip and I for an afternoon and off we went.. Not to far into the trip and he/we discovered that, because of sitting for a while, the Wing had developed a nasty dead spot when taking off from a corner.. No problembo I says,, you and I will pull the carbs and clean em (thinkin old school Wing).. After looking closer at the Wing design I/we found out that Honda decided to go to a 2 barrel carb buried between the frame spars that someone who's hands were in much better shape than mine would have to dismantle = couldnt even get a screw driver between the carb and frame hardley, talk about tight.. A later trip to a Honda shop/mechanic to clean the carb resulted in a 1250 dollar bill.. After getting that resolved the bike sat for another 6 months with only an occasional start up just to keep things operating. When asked why, my neighbor said it was just to much bike for he and his wife, she simply could no longer tolerate sitting on a bike saddle for more than 1/2 hour a day - MAX.. They sold the thing this spring at a major loss and picked up a little Motor Home to do their CTFW(S) on..

Thinking out loud here Ty,, maybe do a little soul searching about exactly what it is that you. personally, are trying to accomplish here.. You wanna ride and tinker on an old scoot that every seal, bearing, wire connection and moveable part as well as stationary part is over 30 years old? We are here for you if that is the case.. You got a ton of cash and wanna turn to labor costs of 100 bucks an hour and beyond = lots of wealthy folks do just that and I tip my hat to em. You do that and you will be just as welcome here as any one... You decide to bail on the project,, take loss,, pick up a smaller, newer, V-Twin Honda Shadow or one of those Honda 800 Pacific Coast things that look like they would run forever and just jump on and go = yep,, still 100% welcome here and still to all and any VR Event or rally.. Shoot,, pick up a new left over Yamaha big scooter,, no shifting, easy to mount cause its step thru and head to the Sturgis Rally after doing one of our Maintenance Days - I would be glad to camp next to ya and wouldn't feel at all uneasy about cruising next to ya on a good all day CTFW..

Just a simple matter of figuring out what is gonna make you happy and fulfilled in your CTFW experience..

All that said Ty,, dont think I ever did hear whether or not your thinking of touring 2 up once ya get a bike where ya want it? That alone could make a big difference in the deciding here IMHO.. Toss another person on there and yea,, you are pretty much gonna find the need for a full blown touring scoot in your man cave..

I will say this,, from my perspective,, bikes are a lot like the people that ride em,, the older they get the more inclined to need maintenance in area's that one would not even think maintenance should be needed.. Hmm,, that was kind of profound = kind of sorta? :big-grin-emoticon:

Been chewin on all your encouragement! I'm going have to sit down with the real keyboard instead of this Tapatalk app on my phone. I'll share the story of how this new relationship for me began. It'll help me to remember and has helped me to formulate a plan. In the meantime as a man who was only married 15 years out of his 59, I found this to be funnyc6f701d72d501c64137d4ffe032e4396.jpg

Been chewin on all your encouragement! I'm going have to sit down with the real keyboard instead of this Tapatalk app on my phone. I'll share the story of how this new relationship for me began. It'll help me to remember and has helped me to formulate a plan. In the meantime as a man who was only married 15 years out of his 59, I found this to be funnyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/c6f701d72d501c64137d4ffe032e4396.jpg

The only thing this tought me was