IGNORED

$36,000 indian dyno results

cruiserlover

wow.For $36,000 you can get an Indian with 111 cu inches and get a whopping 72 hp.Or you can buy my 99 venture for $3,000 and get 98 hp.Decisions, decisions.

Seems to me one is rated at the crank and the other at the wheel ... which one do you think is the crank?

FWIW my Vic was dyno'd and showed 89.02 HP and 107.48 Tq At The Wheel

btw, do you have a link to the ad for your 99?

Oh well horse power is overrated anyway. 😂😂
Seems Yamaha apparently over rated the torque and would not even rate the HP on their new Yamaharley. Good thing the Puckster investigated and found that huge "emotional" engine was relatively gutless compared to a real Venture.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/d/99-yamaha-venture-wttwts/6341086586.html

One test back in 99 showed the venture tested at 98 crank and 79 rear wheel.probably right.

That shaft drive does soak up a bit of tq and hp. I think installing as set of gen1 vmax heads/cams/intakes and you will still stay a bit under the $36k mark and have around 150-160 hp at the crank. Another great consideration is our bikes churn out their 98hp higher than the Victory will even rev. The higher the revs are when peak HP (HP being equal) comes on the quicker things go.

That shaft drive does soak up a bit of tq and hp. I think installing as set of gen1 vmax heads/cams/intakes and you will still stay a bit under the $36k mark and have around 150-160 hp at the crank. Another great consideration is our bikes churn out their 98hp higher than the Victory will even rev. The higher the revs are when peak HP (HP being equal) comes on the quicker things go.

no need to change both cams.Only the vmax intake cam is different.personally the stock hp of my venture is absolutely perfect.I can be at 80 at a blink of an eye, cruise at that speed all day long.I live in the metroplex.I speed up to pass cars and before i realize I am at 90.More horsepower would be unnecessary and wasted.The ugly beemer bagger claims to have 160 hp.80 is plenty in my opinion.

Seems Yamaha apparently over rated the torque and would not even rate the HP on their new Yamaharley. Good thing the Puckster investigated and found that huge "emotional" engine was relatively gutless compared to a real Venture.

Thanks a whole lot Cammy - ya woke me up out of a fine Autumn, much needed beauty sleep:rasberry:

Oh well,, here now,, may as well join in the :biker: :stickpoke: :witch_brew:fun :178::big-grin-emoticon:

I still maintain/have a theory as to why Mom Yam failed us on stating any form of HP rating on the new scoot.. If memory serves me correctly,, HP doesn't cross over the torque curve on all gas engines until just over 5 grand = that is a given I believe. Also, in spite of the fun fact that not everyone agrees with this other theory I maintain, I theorize that because of the longer stroke and the dangers of pistons/rods coming unglued because of the piston speeds needed to cover those longer strokes (I think Mom Yam is using what I am trying to say here to make sure the new Venture motor stays together during long distance runs by staying within rpm parameters = who would want a Transcontinental vehicle that had to be rebuilt when CTFW transcontinentally?) Mom Yam chose to rev limit the new scoot at 4500 RPM for durability purposes and = 4500 R's is way short of the cross over point where HP goes greater than Torque so if they did state it = Mom Yam knew it's poor level of HP would be a liabilty and NOT an asset..

I know I have said this numerous times but my seat of the pants fun meter tells me that the new scoot is somewhere in the stock 88 inch HD Twin Cam motor range, mid 60's maybe.. If anyone is peering at that gorgeous Venture motor (and it is purdy thing IMHO = never said I didn't think those great big air cooled V-Twins were not purdy - WOWZY are they gorgeous) thinking ,, hey Puckster = I rode a Strat/Roadliner or Raider and that motor is farrr from putzy I gotta say,, I hear that BUT = this new one, thru items mentioned herein is neutered = big time!! That's my story and I'm stickin to it..

Oh well horse power is overrated anyway.

IMHO,, depending on the application I totally agree with you.. Gonna drag 40 ton of Iron up a mountain = HP is wayyyy over rated... On the other hand though,,, wanna do 170 mph and be in danger of getting body slammed if your not careful how hard ya wick er up when running er thru the gears = HP is farrr from over rated :big-grin-emoticon:..

Personally I still wish Mom Yam would of taken that 1700cc V-max motor and,,,,, ahh,, never mind,,, I am gettin to old for any of it anyway... :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by cowpuc

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/d/99-yamaha-venture-wttwts/6341086586.html

One test back in 99 showed the venture tested at 98 crank and 79 rear wheel.probably right.

Hey Cruise,,, is your posted scoot in our clubs classifieds?? If not,, it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bike = GOOD DEAL IMHO!!

Another point in comparing to the 36,000 dollar Indian (I still find those kind of numbers even hard to type :detective:) is that I have a sneaking hunch that just for the difference between 36k and the real out the door cost of that 36k scoot, a person could probably buy your bike, plus put insurance and plates on it and still enough cash left over that he could go out and CTFW for a good long ways for free!!!!! :banana:

Hey Cruise,,, is your posted scoot in our clubs classifieds?? If not,, it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bike = GOOD DEAL IMHO!!

Another point in comparing to the 36,000 dollar Indian (I still find those kind of numbers even hard to type :detective:) is that I have a sneaking hunch that just for the difference between 36k and the real out the door cost of that 36k scoot, a person could probably buy your bike, plus put insurance and plates on it and still enough cash left over that he could go out and CTFW for a good long ways for free!!!!! :banana:

I have tried to post for sale here.It wont let me do it.

None of the V-twin cruisers have hp ratings given out by the manufacturer because they are usually low. Those crankshaft counterweights in the new Yam engine while keeping it from vibrating too much really affects how quickly it will rev. Riders who buy V-twins aren't interested in having the fastest bikes and I hope it sells well. But, Harley sales are decreasing and that is the market Yamaha chose to compete in. If this model is produced 14 years like the Gen 2, I'll be surprised.

None of the V-twin cruisers have hp ratings given out by the manufacturer because they are usually low. Those crankshaft counterweights in the new Yam engine while keeping it from vibrating too much really affects how quickly it will rev. Riders who buy V-twins aren't interested in having the fastest bikes and I hope it sells well. But, Harley sales are decreasing and that is the market Yamaha chose to compete in. If this model is produced 14 years like the Gen 2, I'll be surprised.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

IMHO, the reason they have such low HP ratings is because of design, especially if walking into big inch country where accumulation of bore/stroke is only being spread between 2 cylinders so the Cubic Inches are totally dependent on those two parameters (bore/stroke).. The longer the stroke the more distance there is for a piston to travel at any given RPM.. The longer the distance (stroke) the faster the piston has to travel in order to complete a revolution of the crank (RPM). The faster the piston has to travel the closer it gets to terminal velocity (still think that is around 4500 feet per second or something like that).. Terminal Velocity (where the pistons come unglued) is an absolute. Another absolute is found on all dyno graphs of internal combustion engines.. Another fact there is that all engines have a point where HP = Torque and that is somewhere around 5 grand (just over if memory serves me correctly).. Therefore, if a motor is a long stroken v-twin that is rev limited at 5 grand or below the HP rating is going to show low - not something most manufactures want to advertise.. In order to see larger HP ya HAVE to spin em above 5 grand as that is the beginning point of HP to brag about = this zone is deadly for big twins IMHO...

Close ratio gearing (like in a semi) and low rpm's, shifting a lot to get her rolling and idle down the highway at 2 grand and 80 mph though.. Potato potato potato till the corn grows but, if your looking for performance in the way of grin bustin get up and go,, aint gonna happen, for any long distance anyway and then :sign busted:

• 2 months later...
wow.For $36,000 you can get an Indian with 111 cu inches and get a whopping 72 hp.Or you can buy my 99 venture for $3,000 and get 98 hp.Decisions, decisions.

And for purchasing this 36k Polaris Indian you'll receive a hard shifting clunky transmission and a 36000 BTU heater between your legs at no extra cost. Don't ask me how l know.

Yes those were the oval pistons. 8 valves per cylinder. Two connecting rods per piston. Basically mini V8s. They also had a 6 cylinder 2 stroke screamer back in the late 60's. The RC166 I think. 250cc and almost 70hp. 20,000+ rpm with pistons the size of a wine cork.

And for purchasing this 36k Polaris Indian you'll receive a hard shifting clunky transmission and a 36000 BTU heater between your legs at no extra cost. Don't ask me how l know.

Evidently money can't buy everything. For that amount of money it had better shift like butter. As far as the heater goes I hope your done having kids cause that kind of heat would fry the family jewels.:crackup:

Got a 1000 HP?? :think:Don't do ya a bit of good if ya cain't apply it to the road!!!:Avatars_Gee_George::backinmyday::backinmyday: From a Hole Shot Expert!!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

What a time for the Warden ta walk by!!! :bang head::bang head: I've told her I don't do that stuff anymore!!:backinmyday::innocent-emoticon:

Can you say BUSTED.:buttkick::rotf::rotf:She knows better and you just proved it.:bowdown: Your better off telling her you'll be acting like a kid till the day you die. That way when she walks away muttering under her breath something about you never growing up you can stand up and say "Yeah and damn proud of it".:duck::happy34:

I have a good friend who bought a new Indian Roadmaster when they first came back into production many years ago. It was a beautiful looking bike but was never dependable. It would brake down continuously. It would quit running and one of us would have to tow him back home frequently. I myself towed him with my old 83 venture. He finally had one of his Harley buddies tear down the engine. There were parts that were assembled in the wrong places ie pushrods, rockerarms . He finally gave it away to one of his nephews and he put a SS motor into it I was told. I believe it cost him $28,000 when he bought it new. For that kind of jack I would have been jumping up and down at the dealership to fix it right but they never seemed to be able to. So you were not the only one bit by Indian.

Can you say BUSTED.:buttkick::rotf::rotf:She knows better and you just proved it.:bowdown: Your better off telling her you'll be acting like a kid till the day you die. That way when she walks away muttering under her breath something about you never growing up you can stand up and say "Yeah and damn proud of it".:duck::happy34:

But she got that big iron skillet!!! :Avatars_Gee_George: