IGNORED

Strange whine on my 1st Gen

windrider1983

To preface this question, I have done a number of maintenance items on my stock 83 Venture over the last year, and just recently got it back on the road. Here is the list of what I have completed:

[TABLE=width: 527]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Repairs/Maintenance beginning Summer 2016 thru July 2017[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD] re-solder computer module to main circuit board[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD] Replace rear wheel bearings[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD] Change final gear oil, clean and lub drive shaft[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD] Replace spark plugs and wires[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD] Replace all coolant hoses (7) - these were the original hoses[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD] Rebuild water pump[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD] Flush and refill antifreeze[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD] Replace all brake lines and hydraulic clutch line with braided stainless steel lines[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD] Clean calipers and replace all brake pads[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

To do all that, I had the entire faring off the bike, saddlebags and tailpiece – pretty much everything except the trunk (only the second time I have done that – the first when my brother-in-law repainted it). But anyway, I finally got it all back together in late July. The bike is largely a hobby for me, and I typically ride it to work during the good weather here in Ohio.

So the first week or so went fine. Then I noticed a new sound one morning, and it has recurred on multiple occasions. It doesn’t kick in until I have been cruising about 60 or 70 mph and then suddenly I hear a significant whine coming from the front of the bike. It is a fairly high frequency but not ear piercing, and definitely loud enough you immediately hear it and know its not normal – like something is vibrating quite fast and sounds like metal. It remains at a constant pitch and intensity regardless of engine RPMs or whether I shift or disengage the transmission, or brake, or anything else I have tried to do to figure out what it is. The one consistent thing is that it doesn’t start until I have exceeded 60 MPH, and it magically quits when my speed drops to about 30 MPH. At first I suspected the cooling fan, but the noise seems to start before the point when the fan normally kicks in. The fan is working the same as it has in the past in that it starts when the needle is almost touching the red . Of course I can’t hear it when cruising, but it often comes on when sitting at a traffic light or when I pull it into the garage just before shutting it off – so it is running as it always has.

I searched the forums for some clues, and did find a post about a spot weld on the fan cowling coming loose and allowing the fan blades to start rubbing. So this past weekend I pulled the radiator cover off (and the associated side panels) and took a look at the cowling – everything seemed tight and locked down, at least what I could reach with a long screwdriver to pry it a bit to see if anything seemed loose. The fan blades spun smoothly – just could not see anything that was out of place. So without putting the covers back on, I took it out for a run up the freeway about 10 miles, running around 70, with a short stretch at 80, and no noise. This was late Saturday morning with the ambient temperature in the low 80s, so it was plenty hot the whole trip. So I wondered if one of the covers was just not on properly and was vibrating at high speeds. So back home I let it sit and watched some football, then put the radiator cover and side panels back on, taking care that everything went where it belonged and fit snugly. I noticed that the turn signal module that is loosely zip tied to the frame under the faring was a little sloppy, so I tucked it back up out of the way a little further with some packing material, just in case it was doing some weird vibrating thing (though I could not imagine it making that much noise, even at 80). I then took it out again and repeated the trip – it was even warmer then, but still no mysterious noise (and I could hear the fan cycle on when I stopped at the end of the off-ramp waiting for the traffic light to change). So I got back home with no conclusive evidence that I had solved anything, but hoped I might have.

So I rode it to work this morning – about 7am – reasonably cool out (mid-60’s), and I was no more than two miles on the outerbelt when the noise kicked in again (around 65 MPH). The temperature gauge was still below where the fan normally kicks in, so it really does not seem to be that, at least not when the fan is running. I encountered some traffic as I continued toward downtown, and as I slowed below 30, it quit. I did have it up to about 60 once more for a short time but the noise did not come back. On the ride home this afternoon, plenty hot, and had it moving a few times near 70 or maybe a little above – no noise.

So I am out of ideas. Any thoughts or suggestions, or links to other possibly related posts would be greatly appreciated.

Do this test, try disconnecting the speedo cable down at the wheel and pulling the cable out of it, screw the outer cable back on and ride it like that for a few times while the temps are cool (usually when this drama shows up).. Sure sounds like a sqwaking speedometer to me!!

If this works, there are ways to lube the speedo and get max life out of it.. I resurrected one on a prior bike a number of times before it blew up (the speedo) out in Texas at just over 270k miles = they sure dont make speedometers like they used to I guess

:sign yeah that:

Mine did the same this past spring.

If we're right you'll be pulling the instrument cluster. Consider replacing the lamps in the cluster while it's out. A week after I did mine I had to pull it all back apart to install $10 worth of lights.:doh:

On the '83 I first experienced a 'groan' when I first took off in the AM on a cool morning. First happened up in Susanville on VWest3. Scared the living cr@p out of me. New2me bike..first long trip... After stopping a couple of times it went away until another cool morning. Some members suggested it was speedo cable related, and I lubed everything I could think of. No luck. I finally found the upper speedo attachment to the instrument cluster was very loose and almost falling off. Got in there and tightened it back down and life was good again... Plus I had a very well lubed speedo cable... :-)

I have to agree with all of the above sounds like speedo. I never had a speedo cable squawk, but every couple of years my speedo will start squawking. I have a tool that a member here made for greasing the speedo head. quiets it right down every time. You do not have to pull the fairing to get to it. if your hands are real small and limber you can follow the speedo cable up from the bottom and disconnect it from the head. I can only reach far enough to touch it but can not reach to actually get it off, but by just pulling the headlight I can get to it. Worst case is to have to pull the windshield and the cover over the instruments then it will be right there looking at you.

Worst case is to have to pull the windshield and the cover over the instruments then it will be right there looking at you.

You can remove the LH turn signal and get to it too.... Might be a little easier than pulling the headlight... But gotta agree if anything major needs to be addressed pulling the cover is best... And might as well replace all the insturement bulbs while you're at it...

Do this test, try disconnecting the speedo cable down at the wheel and pulling the cable out of it, screw the outer cable back on and ride it like that for a few times while the temps are cool (usually when this drama shows up).. Sure sounds like a sqwaking speedometer to me!!

If this works, there are ways to lube the speedo and get max life out of it.. I resurrected one on a prior bike a number of times before it blew up (the speedo) out in Texas at just over 270k miles = they sure dont make speedometers like they used to I guess

Thanks to all for the comments - I guess I am relieved that it's probably not anything too serious. I will try pulling the cable and see if that eliminates it. I have had the instrument panel completely off, recently to re-solder the computer module, and before that to replace all those bulbs. What is the best lube for the cable, and is it the same as what you use to lube the speedo gear? I watched the video from Bluesky but didn't catch what he used on the cable -said he used Yamalube Racing grease (lithium based) for the gear.

So if the speedo does go bad, am I looking at replacing it with a salvage one, or are new units available? Come to think of it, I do have an entire instrument cluster from an 86 I believe (came with something else i bought a few years back - buried in the crawlspace with other miscellaneous parts). I am assuming that the entire cluster is not compatible, but the speedometer itself probably is?

It will probably be later this week, or the weekend, before I can try anything, but will post back with any results.

Thanks again everyone.

I have to agree with all of the above sounds like speedo. I never had a speedo cable squawk, but every couple of years my speedo will start squawking. I have a tool that a member here made for greasing the speedo head. quiets it right down every time. You do not have to pull the fairing to get to it. if your hands are real small and limber you can follow the speedo cable up from the bottom and disconnect it from the head. I can only reach far enough to touch it but can not reach to actually get it off, but by just pulling the headlight I can get to it. Worst case is to have to pull the windshield and the cover over the instruments then it will be right there looking at you.

So did you use actual grease in the speedo? Isnt that stuff to thick? I used synthetic bicycle chain lube sprayed into the hole where the cable attaches and it worked for a while..

Was the device you used for greasing the speedo basically a grease zerk on a screw on tube so you could pump grease into the speedo after screwing the zerk adapter on where the cable attaches?? Got any pics?? Dont seem like that would be to hard to make,, using an old speed cable outer casing = put a zerk on one end = could reach right up in there and screw it on and grease er up if thats what we are talking about Fool...

Come on ya lop eared varmint - spill the beans!! Give it up!!

Thanks to all for the comments - I guess I am relieved that it's probably not anything too serious. I will try pulling the cable and see if that eliminates it. I have had the instrument panel completely off, recently to re-solder the computer module, and before that to replace all those bulbs. What is the best lube for the cable, and is it the same as what you use to lube the speedo gear? I watched the video from Bluesky but didn't catch what he used on the cable -said he used Yamalube Racing grease (lithium based) for the gear.

So if the speedo does go bad, am I looking at replacing it with a salvage one, or are new units available? Come to think of it, I do have an entire instrument cluster from an 86 I believe (came with something else i bought a few years back - buried in the crawlspace with other miscellaneous parts). I am assuming that the entire cluster is not compatible, but the speedometer itself probably is?

It will probably be later this week, or the weekend, before I can try anything, but will post back with any results.

Thanks again everyone.

Aerosol white lithium grease. Shoot it down the cable till it drips out the bottom. A little up into Speedo good too.

So did you use actual grease in the speedo? Isnt that stuff to thick? I used synthetic bicycle chain lube sprayed into the hole where the cable attaches and it worked for a while..

Was the device you used for greasing the speedo basically a grease zerk on a screw on tube so you could pump grease into the speedo after screwing the zerk adapter on where the cable attaches?? Got any pics?? Dont seem like that would be to hard to make,, using an old speed cable outer casing = put a zerk on one end = could reach right up in there and screw it on and grease er up if thats what we are talking about Fool...

Come on ya lop eared varmint - spill the beans!! Give it up!!

No need to do all of that, fine oils will dry out to fast, using aerosol white lithium grease you can squirt some down the cable housing and ram rod the cable up down a few times to get it all sqouze up and down the housing real good then squirt a few drops in on the Speedo gears. Then you'll be good to go for another 100k miles.

No need to do all of that, fine oils will dry out to fast, using aerosol white lithium grease you can squirt some down the cable housing and ram rod the cable up down a few times to get it all sqouze up and down the housing real good then squirt a few drops in on the Speedo gears. Then you'll be good to go for another 100k miles.

Actually, in all the thousands of miles I have chased around on these 1st Gens I have never ever had problems with the speedo cable itself.. My issues have always pivoted around the infamous speedometer itself going SQWAUUKKKKKKKKKKK at just the right time and the right intensity to scare the living daylights out of ya = even if ya pretty much know its coming :big-grin-emoticon:

Shooting oil up into em without dismantling the varmint is difficult and WD40 just does not last that long. Even taking the cable shroud and putting oil in it and hitting it with compressed air can have minimal affect.. Dont know if any one else ever experienced this one but the one on Tweeks that failed down in Dennison Texas just before Squid and I repaired her failed stator on the way to California via Big Bend NP had the needle all of a sudden take off and start whirring around inside the speedo like a clock from the Twilight zone = telling ya Bob, coulda powered a small air plane with that thing.. Then,, BANG = show was over!! Nursed that speedo for over 270k and then BANG...

@FlyingFool - I am still riding these 83's and the one I got now has a working speedo = was that grease you pumped in there?

cowpuc

The fitting I have that was made by another member just screws onto the back of the speed and has a grease Zerk on it. I use what ever is in my grease gun that I use on the front steering linkage of my cages. Ill see if I can find a pic of this tool.

edit

Here are the threads, Hopefully Freebird will be able to find these old pics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?67738-Only-3-left-Speedo-Bearing-Coupling-Grease-Tool

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?65506-Anyone-have-a-broken-1st-Gen-MKII-speedometer-cable

Edited by Flyinfool

cowpuc

The fitting I have that was made by another member just screws onto the back of the speed and has a grease Zerk on it. I use what ever is in my grease gun that I use on the front steering linkage of my cages. Ill see if I can find a pic of this tool.

edit

Here are the threads, Hopefully Freebird will be able to find these old pics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?67738-Only-3-left-Speedo-Bearing-Coupling-Grease-Tool

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?65506-Anyone-have-a-broken-1st-Gen-MKII-speedometer-cable

So you remove the speedometer cable from the back of the speedo and screw this grease delivery tool onto the stub where the cable attaches?? If so,, do you recall approxamitly how many pumps on the grease gun handle to shoot into that puppy?? Till the grease comes out below the speedo needle or into the trip meter :big-grin-emoticon: = sorry brother,, couldnt help myself:big-grin-emoticon:

PLEASE dont cover me in White Wash:95:

Puc you know I don't get mad.................

It took a fraction of a pump.:rasberry:

Or was it a fraction of a gallon......:moon:

so me filling my speedo with grease until the back side of the lense is totally covered with no air pockets in it like I just did is probably perfect,, right?? Next question is, is there another adapter to use on my tach so I can fill it too so it matches the speedometer when I look at it?? Perhaps an adapter that I could screw on to one of the number 18 size wires I see hanging from my tach?? :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

:scared:,,, we might have just invented the worlds very first wire greaser... We can market it as "the ONLY approved method of applying dielectric grease to terminals without having to dismantle them = pump the grease thru the wiress!!".. Stick with me Fool,, we are gonna be TRILLIONAIRS!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Actually, in all the thousands of miles I have chased around on these 1st Gens I have never ever had problems with the speedo cable itself.. My issues have always pivoted around the infamous speedometer itself going SQWAUUKKKKKKKKKKK at just the right time and the right intensity to scare the living daylights out of ya = even if ya pretty much know its coming :big-grin-emoticon:

Shooting oil up into em without dismantling the varmint is difficult and WD40 just does not last that long. Even taking the cable shroud and putting oil in it and hitting it with compressed air can have minimal affect.. Dont know if any one else ever experienced this one but the one on Tweeks that failed down in Dennison Texas just before Squid and I repaired her failed stator on the way to California via Big Bend NP had the needle all of a sudden take off and start whirring around inside the speedo like a clock from the Twilight zone = telling ya Bob, coulda powered a small air plane with that thing.. Then,, BANG = show was over!! Nursed that speedo for over 270k and then BANG...

@FlyingFool - I am still riding these 83's and the one I got now has a working speedo = was that grease you pumped in there?

When it happened to me, I was on a failed Saddle Sore 1000 attempt somewhere around Mount Mitchell, N.C. During a sudden blizzard. I remember having to hunker down under a tarp next to a news paper box in the parking lot of a convenience store, listing to the Elks and wolves hollering and howling all night long, kinda like Puc style camping.

Well anyway, next morning after a long sleepless night, the paper man made me move so he could load the paper box. Just in time for the store to open and I got the first cup of a fresh pot of coffee to choke down a day old warmed up sausage and biscuit to warm my frost bitten innards.

Being too exhausted to finish the SS1000 attempt, I quit my mission and began limping home. I remember it was a cold morning at around 30° on a sunny day, and I had made it to some part of the Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville when it happened. Now whine would not have been the descriptor word I would have used when it suddenly started and scarred the bejesus out of me. It was more like one of them old timey sirens you had to wind up with a crank, The faster I went the louder it got. When I'd slow down it would settle down to an almost tolerable decibel level. ALMOST.

I put up with it all I could til I happened to be going by the Yamaha Stealership in Asheville where I pulled in for some advice. They had none nor did they have a clue what could be causing it. But they had no problem with letting me peel my leathers off and warm up in their little customer lounge, which was pretty nice as I recall, while I ate their donuts, drank their coffee, plugged into their power with my laptop and phone charger where I could access the internet and reach the real Yamaha experts, Venturerider.org. who of course knew exactly what the problem was and what to do about it.

I believe it was probably GeorgeS out of Seattle that told me to unscrew the Speedo cable fitting from the left side of the front wheel hub, pull the cable out , and screw the empty cable housing connector back on the wheel. He told me to put the extracted cable in the trunk and when I got home he would talk me through the fix, which he did as always with mind numbing detail. GOD BLESS GEORGES FOR THE HELP HE HAS GIVEN ME THROUGH THE YEARS. He also explained that I would not have any Speedo but I also wouldn't have to listen to that beotch whine all the way home.

Sure wish something that simple would have worked on either one of my ex wives.

How's that for a CTFW story?

Edited by Dragonslayer

Puc you know I don't get mad.................

It took a fraction of a pump.:rasberry:

Or was it a fraction of a gallon......:moon:

:doh::doh:

so me filling my speedo with grease until the back side of the lense is totally covered with no air pockets in it like I just did is probably perfect,, right?? Next question is, is there another adapter to use on my tach so I can fill it too so it matches the speedometer when I look at it?? Perhaps an adapter that I could screw on to one of the number 18 size wires I see hanging from my tach?? :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

:scared:,,, we might have just invented the worlds very first wire greaser... We can market it as "the ONLY approved method of applying dielectric grease to terminals without having to dismantle them = pump the grease thru the wiress!!".. Stick with me Fool,, we are gonna be TRILLIONAIRS!! :big-grin-emoticon:

:rotfl::rotfl::bawling::scubadive:

Kin I buy some Stock??? As soon as I git paid??

:thumbsup:

I would think that with all the riding experience you guys have you wouldn't need speedo's to tell how fast you're going! :superman:

Or maybe you ride IN Speedo's :crackup:(no Puc... that's NOT a photo we want to see)

:Im not listening to:photographing::scared::yikes: