IGNORED

neutrai od switch

Sorry but I'm out of town and will try..

1: Why does it need replacing?

2: check the neutral light bulb?

3: download the service manual and troubleshoot using it?

4: check the electrical connections to the harness from the switch?

I ask because you didn't give us any information. Neutral switch issues arent normal..... But I do believe it is located on the left side of the motor, either under the stator or under the clutch slave cylinder area. I don't remember since it's rare.

After searching through my official Yamaha service manual I have found one picture of the switch. It is on page 4-98 in the transmission section. But I still have no idea how to get to it.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Mike

P.S. I found a second picture on page 4-103. it just says install neutral switch. It appears to be externally mounted with three screws. But I cannot tell for sure.

My 650 vstar, the switch was located below where the slave is located if it would have had one. Sitting in there. Just don't remember seeing it in the v4. So it must be hidden under the stator assembly. Be ridiculous if it was under the clutch on the right side... But...I haven't found it either, and found only the same info in manual. Useless!!

Under electrical....

Page 8-1. Electrical switch troubleshooting. Diagram shows it directly under the stator cover... At the very bottom of the motor.part #13 .

Page 8-3 switch #15 . There is a connector that could be dirty.

Edited by videoarizona

Hi Cheny,, Puc here,, nice to meet cha!

Take a peek here,, maybe this will help some.. I know the vid is kind of back yard mechanican is the truest sense of the word but hey,, way I figure it,, when it comes to :think: when your trying to spin wrenches to stay out CTFW = sometimes even a back yard brother of the wrench can give ok advice :scratchchin:= sometimes..

I believe the switch is located behind the 2nd gear cover? I am assuming that the oil in there is just motor oil and you would replace it by adding oil to the crankcase.

Am I correct?

Sorry I missed this - I should have addressed this in my vid,, indeed - the tranny/clutch/forward gear are lubricated by crankcase oil.. Only the rear pinion housing at the south end of the drive shaft is lubed in another way = gear lube..

Thanks, Scott. Now we know.... Little bugger is well hidden!!!!

Your welcome David but actually,, you are the one who nailed it's location so the thanks really goes to you brother!!

INDEED = that puppy is very well hidden!! As many times as I have been under those two side covers thru 30 years of running the socks off these things and I still dont recall ever having seen that device there before!!:confused24:

I actually thought you were wayyyy out in left field and thought I remembered it being located on top of the case right in behind the forward bevel gear = wowzy was I wrong!!

Learn something new everyday because of hanging around with lop eared gear headed varmints like you !!:bowdown: = THANK YOU!