IGNORED

New Goldwing

etcswjoe

Bets the new Goldwing will run circles around the new Yamaharley?

They both look great to me.

It's nice to see the Goldwing is starting to look more like a motorcycle than it used to. Looks like it has a very tall dash that might cause some difficulty for short riders.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sitll not enough leg and foot room for me.
Initially I found the seating position on the gen 1's a bit cramped however, after 8 years riding one it does not seem to be much of an issue. Highway pegs are a necessity though.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a Winger in a parking lot about leg room etc. He had a 2003 GW and he was about the same height as me, 6' 3". He had a new seat made that moved his butt back a bit and was a little higher. I sat on his bike and it was surprisingly comfortable. That, of course does not relate to being comfortable for a days ride but my Mk II is so I'm guessing they are at least equal in that department.

If you are not so old and crippled that you can't bend your knees then it is just a matter of getting used to the position. Seems to me this whole legroom thing is more a matter of style than practical necessity. Easy Rider VS MC jockey.

The new Wing looks like it might have a bit more knee room than the older models.

I may have mentioned this before but the main reason I bought the Goldwing is my doctor told me with my diabetes I needed to cut down on the carbs so I sold one of my Ventures and bought the Gold Wing.

No matter how many times I heard that joke at Vogel it is still funny.

Joe, your probably like me, no reason to give up on a good joke as long as it keeps getting laughs.:stickpoke::rotf: :thumbsup:

Initially I found the seating position on the gen 1's a bit cramped however, after 8 years riding one it does not seem to be much of an issue. Highway pegs are a necessity though.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a Winger in a parking lot about leg room etc. He had a 2003 GW and he was about the same height as me, 6' 3". He had a new seat made that moved his butt back a bit and was a little higher. I sat on his bike and it was surprisingly comfortable. That, of course does not relate to being comfortable for a days ride but my Mk II is so I'm guessing they are at least equal in that department.

If you are not so old and crippled that you can't bend your knees then it is just a matter of getting used to the position. Seems to me this whole legroom thing is more a matter of style than practical necessity. Easy Rider VS MC jockey.

The new Wing looks like it might have a bit more knee room than the older models.

Probably sounds crazy Cammy but a solid mixture of Easy Rider and MC Jockey riding positions IS an absolute necessity for me if we are still talking multi day long distance touring.. I have never owned or ridden an 1800 Wing so I can not directly speak for them but, as far as all the prior Wing Models = they simply were not my ride because my feet were "captured" in a mid peg position which proved to be just as unworthy for a long distance scoot as having my feet captured in a foot forward position = neither allowing multi position foot movement while in motion.. For me, simply removing the lowers and the underbelly spoiler on my MK1 1st Gens, using forward crash bars (a MUST if you wanna protect that coolant tube on the right side from a major crunchy wayyy back in the mountains of Utah anyway) with a set of cheapy clamp on pegs snapped on em and BINGO = instant longgggggg range = 12/18 hours a day of total fun out CTFW day after day after day with no leg cramps, back pain or monkey butt...

Also,, your wondering whether or not the new Venture is gonna run with the new Wing... Having ridden the new Venture and ran my 1st Gen neck to neck with an earlier 1800 Wing,,,, ahhh,,, NO,, not even on the same planet UNLESS those guys at Honda decided to majorly detune their present 1800 6 banger because the new breed of Touring rider has no interest in performance = if they dropped the new Wing to under 65 horse max then ya, maybe some competition. Maybe leaving the performance end of the whole touring spectrum totally to Beemer and that 1600 = my moneys on that aint gonna happen UNLESS the same people that somehow broke into Mom Yam's RnD department (Arlen Ness from Polaris?) and got things all mess up breaks into Honda's RnD department too..

Fact is,, this new Venture with it's 113 inch 48 degree V-Twin air cooled,heavily weighted crankshaft motor is aimed spot on at Harley Davidson and NOT at the Wings or Beemers.. That being said,,, having ridden a LOT of air cooled scoots (both owned and demoed) - the way I predict a genuine performance comparison in real life (NOT factory numbers to factory numbers = means nothing to me) would be that a stock Venture compared to a stock Strat (spent a fair amount of time on my nephews) = the Strat is gonna whoop it bad.. Venture vs stock pre-2006 88 inch Twin Cam = very very close!! 103 Twin Cam vs Venny = 103 will peel it like a ripe nanner.. Aint none,, and I mean NONE of them - Harley (less the V-Rod), Polaris 111 or 106, Honda VTX1800 even on the same planet as the Wing, Beemer or even our little ol 74 inch 1st Genners - those air cooled scoots are not designed for, in any way shape or form, competing in the multi cylinder water cooled performance orientated modern day engines world = I LOVE them but they are tractor motors straight out of the early 1900's..

Wonder if folks remember the out cry from Harley Davidson to the NHRA about what was going on in the drag race world a number of years ago as technology began to over rule the age old thought that "there is no replacement for displacement"?? Back then, when the Motor Company was serious about racing, they complained so much about the inequalities in competing Cubic Inch to Cubic Inch because of what was going on (little stock 1000cc Yamaha 5 valve R1's were outrunning Harley's x2 their size) that the NHRA actually caved in and gave them their very own drag category.. That is why to this very day we hear so much about "all Harley drags" in the drag racing industry..

IMHO,, even if Honda just leaves the 1800 alone their is NO WAY on God's green earth this new Venture is even gonna come remotely close to it performance wise in any category.. Now if Honda decides to open those heads up to 4 or 5 valve technology = very very possible that even Beemers 1600 is in trouble should one of us modern day touring riders actually still have any interest in performance.. :bikersmilie:,,,, get out the way ya lop eared varmint tato masher :900[1]:

:stirthepot::hihi::biker:

***** PLEASE NOTE *****

The above commentary was written by a varmint who's mind is twisted and very opinionated and, who is also a known source of pot stirring controversy.. The reader herein would be advised to consider the source of the stated commentary before allowing the above thoughts and opinions to affect his/her day in any ill way..

Edited by cowpuc

Interesting! I sometimes get that my CTX1300 looks like a mini-GoldWing.

But looking at this new GoldWing it looks like a bigger CTX and is styled along the CTX family lines......just my :2cents: :bowdown:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110513

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110514

OK I'll knock it off with the "CTX great bike" stuff and go back to my corner now! :biker:

Something really really interesting... A couple days before Tip, Tweeks and I headed for Americade to watch the unveiling of the new Venture and tour the east coast we stopped at our local Yam/Honda shop to see if they had any insider info as to whether or not the trip would be fruitful (they had no clue but said they highly doubted I was gonna get my wish granted for a V-Max motored new Venture)..

After yakking for a while, one of the salesmen took me over and showed me a couple left over CTX's like yours Tooch.. NICE scoot!! Told me they were a hard sell here in West Michigan for some odd reason and offered me a brand new left over for $7500... Rethinking it all,, THAT was probably a real steal of a deal!!!

Later,, bumped into a couple guys (father and son team) out CTFW in the middle of Nevada on a pair of brand new CTX's = definitely a worthy piece of touring machine IMHO = extremely quiet and very very worthy of the long road according to them!!

All of this talk about Goldwing's having mid foot position and controls. There is a gentleman that lives in Charlestown WV. that has forward controls on a 1500 Wing. I know this for a fact because I made them and installed them on the bike at my house. He still has use of the mid controls if he needs them.

All of this talk about Goldwing's having mid foot position and controls. There is a gentleman that lives in Charlestown WV. that has forward controls on a 1500 Wing. I know this for a fact because I made them and installed them on the bike at my house. He still has use of the mid controls if he needs them.

NOW we're cooking with hot touring grease Chuck!!:thumbsup:

:think:,, you go over, under or beside those heads sticking out down there on that puppy :scratchchin:,,?

:think:,, that right there would be the VERY best of both worlds IMHO = would LOVE to see a pic or two of what you came up with if ya happen to have snapped a couple :biker:

I went off the engine guards and ran every thing under the motor. I have some pics but they are stored in Photobucket and can't post them. Sorry. I have had several people want me to make then again but I would not do it as I closed my shop.

I hear that brother!! Comes a point in a mans life when its time to ride more and work on em less IMHO.. I been a life long wrench spinning gear headed mad man and ya know what,, days are coming here that I often think about no more wrenchin and only riding.. Whats happenin to us Roller?? You just an ol Hippy trying to adjust too:missingtooth:?

Hey,, speaking of ol Hippies trying to adjust,,, take a look at this vid of the new one being unveiled at Americade in NY.. Notice the crowd in the opening shot located in front of the guy doing the world wide simulcast of the new machine, look right on top of and toward the back of the trunk on the grey Venture = should be viewable before you even click start on the vid.. Notice the varmint with the VR West Virginia International shirt (one of my very favorite shirts of all time = I wear it with pride) sitting in the front row just to the left of the announcer = just another ol hippy,, trying to adjust :missingtooth:

***** P.S. = if you watch the vid in its entirety you will even get to see Tippy in there helping me with that adjusting - as if thats possible!!

I just found whenever I rode a gold wing the cyl heads did not leave any room for my feet.

Yep, the new Wing with a 1700cc V4 (what I was hoping for in the Gen3 Venture) would give you more room for your feet and would REALLY get me excited! But I'm only one in the crowd and I got outvoted. I realized a long time ago that my opinion doesn't count for much.

I'm excited! Stopped by my local dealer to see if he had any "new news", and he just shook his head. "Honda never gives us anything in advance. You know as much as I do."

I've heard that it will have "current" technology. Can't wait to see if they have full bluetooth capabilities.

Coupla weeks and we'll know!

I'm signed up for the Goldwing 2018 'news'. Here is the latest teaser.

http://contentz.mkt015.com/ra/2017/1689/10/17146280/images_MKCA_2_Hero_2.gif

Thanks Rand!! :think:, no matter how hard I stare at those fast moving pics my eyes cannot pick up the huge change in the front end that they have been studying on the other sneak peeks... Good grief I hope all this hype isn't setting my weak ol pace makered heart up for yet another major let down.. I just dont think I can handle any more of it..

:lightbulb: if Honda comes out with a new Wing that is an air cooled V-Twin powered and belt driven scoot = they may as well name it "THE WING OF REJECTION" IMHO :missingtooth::big-grin-emoticon::witch_brew::crackup:

COME ON HONDA = we are rooting for ya to restore some sanity to the big heavy market!!!! :guitarist 2:

Thanks Rand!! :think:, no matter how hard I stare at those fast moving pics my eyes cannot pick up the huge change in the front end that they have been studying on the other sneak peeks... Good grief I hope all this hype isn't setting my weak ol pace makered heart up for yet another major let down.. I just dont think I can handle any more of it..

:lightbulb: if Honda comes out with a new Wing that is an air cooled V-Twin powered and belt driven scoot = they may as well name it "THE WING OF REJECTION" IMHO :missingtooth::big-grin-emoticon::witch_brew::crackup:

COME ON HONDA = we are rooting for ya to restore some sanity to the big heavy market!!!! :guitarist 2:

Yeah sure hope they don't Yamapoop their drawers!!! On the flip side though, if they do, I'm keeping my FJR.....

f Honda comes out with a new Wing that is an air cooled V-Twin powered and belt driven scoot = they may as well name it "THE WING OF REJECTION" IMHO COME ON HONDA = we are rooting for ya to restore some sanity to the big heavy market!!!!

That animated gif was just a series of pictures of the all the previous Goldwing models, not the new one which is due in 2 weeks.

Here's a link to a web page the email they sent me has the pictures you can slowly scroll thru to see the past models.

https://powersports.honda.com/beyond.aspx?cid=AT8545&spMailingID=17146280&spUserID=MTg2NjQxOTI1Njc0S0&spJobID=1083396397&spReportId=MTA4MzM5NjM5NwS2#hero-history

There's a video there that I think has a couple quick shots of the new 2018 with other stuff mixed in, but am not sure. But we see the new 2018 Goldwing picture in the 1st post to this thread.

Cudos to Honda for not sticking an air cooled narrow-angle twin in it and calling it a Goldwing! :duck:

They put it on a diet and made it gruntier while staying true to the flat six. Gotta say, it looks like something I would ride and maybe buy. I wonder how the ergos compare to the previous model.

• 2 weeks later...

:mad:,,,, what da heck,,, must be the year for corporate chain jerking of the consumer or something :mad:

1st Polaris yanks the rug out from under their faithful Victory riders...

Next Mom Yam pulls our strings by telling us she is gonna turn the touring world upside down and ends up using an Air Cooled motor to attempt to perform that task.

Now Honda, good ol dependable Honda, said they were gonna do a series of teaser vids up to the unveil day of the 24th.. Problem is,, it's the 24'th and no additional vid's and no unveil.. Getting kinda nervous,,,,, in a good kind of way,,, come on Honda,, lower the boom, make motorcycling history like you did with the SOHC750 - CR250M Elsinore - TRX250R Quad - MB5 - Hurricane and so many others, hope we aint been had (again) and this is all about a 175 horse Beemer whoopin of a machine with precision frame/steering geometry that leaves nothing but a vapor trail and leaning over of Ponderosa Pine trees up on the entrance of the North Rim for those tourers so inclined to enjoy such a thrill.. :178::cool10: :banana::banana:

:mad:,,,, what da heck,,, must be the year for corporate chain jerking of the consumer or something :mad:

1st Polaris yanks the rug out from under their faithful Victory riders...

Next Mom Yam pulls our strings by telling us she is gonna turn the touring world upside down and ends up using an Air Cooled motor to attempt to perform that task.

Now Honda, good ol dependable Honda, said they were gonna do a series of teaser vids up to the unveil day of the 24th.. Problem is,, it's the 24'th and no additional vid's and no unveil.. Getting kinda nervous,,,,, in a good kind of way,,, come on Honda,, lower the boom, make motorcycling history like you did with the SOHC750 - CR250M Elsinore - TRX250R Quad - MB5 - Hurricane and so many others, hope we aint been had (again) and this is all about a 175 horse Beemer whoopin of a machine with precision frame/steering geometry that leaves nothing but a vapor trail and leaning over of Ponderosa Pine trees up on the entrance of the North Rim for those tourers so inclined to enjoy such a thrill.. :178::cool10: :banana::banana:

Looks like 9PM CST.... I'm hoping we see something nice!!!!

Remember to tune into a Facebook Live broadcast today at 7PM PDT. We have something special to show you all. #WhatLiesBeyond

https://www.facebook.com/HondaPowersports/?hc_ref=ARThYcix-HCMWvRElLW2m30EFUyYTZL1xZQgcKCpSwVaycsGFiFpdjKmh9LcCwxF-rk&fref=nf

Looks like 9PM CST.... I'm hoping we see something nice!!!!

Remember to tune into a Facebook Live broadcast today at 7PM PDT. We have something special to show you all. #WhatLiesBeyond

https://www.facebook.com/HondaPowersports/?hc_ref=ARThYcix-HCMWvRElLW2m30EFUyYTZL1xZQgcKCpSwVaycsGFiFpdjKmh9LcCwxF-rk&fref=nf

That may very well happen Brewster BUT = what about those remaining teaser vids?? They promised and we need em.. I WANT MY TEASER VIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headache:

:happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65::guitarist 2::hihi: