IGNORED

OH NO!! I had another thought.....

Flyinfool

Yup That is rite, I have had another thought, those that know me know it is always dangerous when I have these thoughts. There is no telling what might happen.

So as I am gimping around on crutches with this blown out achillies tendon I have doing some thinking.

Since I blew the tendon getting my Venture out to ride in to work, just like I have done a thousand times before I have been thinking I might just need to look for a smaller lighter bike.

In my looking around at what all is available, I have kind of taken a shine to the FJR1300. It is a sport touring bike, so it still has hard side bags and trunk, granted a bit smaller, but I rarely ever fill up the ones on the Venture. It still has a 4 cyl 1300cc engine but with a 9500 RPM red line. The speedo numbers go up to 190, and it is about 200 lbs lighter. In my little pea brain these are all good things.

I can get an off the shelf trailer hitch for it so I can pull a trailer with all my stuff to MD.

I have learned that I want an 06 or newer due to a Cam Chain Tensioner issue in the earlier years that can grenade the engine. The new system will bolt into the older engines but it requires an engine tear down.

What are the bad things that I am missing?

I have seen numerous FJR's out adventure touring and WOWZY = ol Pucster is right there with ya ya lop eared White Washin varmint.. NICE SCOOTS!!

Admiring them, I noticed that the rider legs seem to be splayed out for some reason.. While its possible that I was seeing things (the joy of riding my 1st Gens has been known to be soooo strong that I can get halluctional - extreme adrenaline rushes can do that cha know) - I would strongly advise that you take a moment and at least sit one before ya plop down any $$'s.. What am I saying,, you and I are exactly alike = aint prone to buy NUTTIN lest we know what we are gettin into = both worked wayyy to hard for our $$$'s!!

On another thought Jeff,, with your background and understanding of the V-4,, cant help but wonder if you have owned a V-Max yet?? Seeing a fair amount of em around at decent prices (pre 1700cc).. Just saw a 99 for 3400.. Anyway,, I strongly suggest all of us motivated -sincere 1st Gen Venture riders own one before our time runs out - THAT is one amazing machine I tell ya.. Not on the same page as an R1 but still = the fun factor is there = there be magic between those bars!! Trust me,, ol Puc knows from experience what he is saying!!

Either way and what ever you decide = your ALWAYS welcome to ride over for a Hot Dog ya know!!

Prayers Up for your healing!!

Puc

Know what you mean about wanting a smaller lighter bike. I've admired the FJR's for some years, seriously considered one when I lived in the UK, but as usual other priorities intervened. Very nice bikes, but a different riding position to what we're used to.

Though not for the same reasons as you Jeff, we're (or I) am considering a similar move.

My wife & I did a little trip on our RSTD to one of BC's Islands (Salt Spring Island) last week, we went mainly to ride around & see the place & check out a few homes with a view to possibly moving there. The trip to the ferry on main highways went great the RSTD worked well, lots of presence on the road & no problem keeping up with traffic.... What it's meant for.

However on SSI there are lots of smaller twisty, country type roads not always in the best of repair, (gravel, broken pavement etc) & also a number of roads that dead end & overall lower speed limits.

I'm a reasonable rider, (can slow speed ride & do tight turns etc) but To be honest I found the RSTD somewhat big & heavy for that type of riding (to be fair it was two up & with a tail luggage bag) but it was hard work & I felt sometimes that I was "fighting" with the bike! It was also 25+ deg & we had leather jackets etc, so were a bit hot & sticky!

If we do make the move, those roads would become my local ones, so I've been looking around at other bike possibilities, but they have to be capable & comfortable two up. One that seems to recommend itself is the 1000cc Suzuki VStrom, seems to get some good reports & it's capable of taking luggage boxes without looking ridiculous & there are some very nice low mileage used models (2005-7) out there at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts anyone? (Hope this isn't a hi-jack)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, take it easy!

Edited by Kretz

Previous Concours owner and have always had my eye on the "F-ing Japanese Rockets" as a 2nd bike. They are still a big, top-heavy machine but us guys going from an RSV its nothing new. I've spent a few hours on an early model an my notes:

Will comfortably cruise at 100mph all day and so smooth you don't even realize you're going that fast.

Engine heat is a minor issue up until the newer models, not bad having spent time on multiple air-cooled cruisers. Push the knees out into the wind and it's negligible, Baker Air Wings are also available.

Wind protection is much different than an a full tourer like the RSV, but enough aftermarket windshields exist to tailor the bike to suite you (i'm also 6'2").

An FJR is a great bike! You should ride one to see if you can tolerate the riding position. Your legs will be folded up more in a semi-sport bike riding position.

I owned a 2004 Kawasaki Concours and I didn't really like the riding position that much. It provided great wind protection. I rode it to work in 40 degree weather sometimes. The old model Concours like I had is probably the most top heavy bike on the road. The FJR should be a little better. I could have tolerated the riding position but the top heaviness bothered me the most. The guy I sold the 04 Concours to traded it for a new FJR. I think this was in 2012.

A BMW R1200 RT might be a better choice, lighter, upright riding position, with all day comfort. I would like to ride one as well as a Honda ST1300. The ST1300 is supposed to be the best around town sport tourer, the least top heavy.

Riding position is a big deal to me, I will not plunk down any cash without a good ride on something. I am old and do not fold up well, But since I am moving from a 1st gen to something, the upright position is what I am looking for, I do NOT like the cruiser riding position.

But now you guys had to go and bring up other viable alternatives to the FJR. Now my research is back to square one..................

Good thing I am a long way from even being able to walk yet alone ride something. Lots of time for research..........................

I owned a 2004 Kawasaki Concours and I didn't really like the riding position that much. It provided great wind protection. I rode it to work in 40 degree weather sometimes. The old model Concours like I had is probably the most top heavy bike on the road. The FJR should be a little better. I could have tolerated the riding position but the top heaviness bothered me the most. The guy I sold the 04 Concours to traded it for a new FJR. I think this was in 2012.

My '97 C10 was uncomfortable in stock trim. I lowered the footpegs 1" and raise the bars 1.5" and it was much better. Someone who likes the 1st Gen or Goldwing "feet under" position would be fine. BTW, anything with 7.5 gallons of fuel on the backbone of the bike is going to be top heavy, but it sure made for a great long-range commuter bike. 45+ mpg made for 300+ miles between fill ups and now they can be had for pennies (currently watching an '02 for $1,200).

The FJR I rode only had 1" bar risers and it was comfortable enough, I'm sure other options are available for bars up and pegs down.

My '97 C10 was uncomfortable in stock trim. I lowered the footpegs 1" and raise the bars 1.5" and it was much better. Someone who likes the 1st Gen or Goldwing "feet under" position would be fine. BTW, anything with 7.5 gallons of fuel on the backbone of the bike is going to be top heavy, but it sure made for a great long-range commuter bike. 45+ mpg made for 300+ miles between fill ups and now they can be had for pennies (currently watching an '02 for $1,200).

The FJR I rode only had 1" bar risers and it was comfortable enough, I'm sure other options are available for bars up and pegs down.

I backed my 04 Concours out of the garage and turned it 90 degrees before I got on it and started it. I wouldn't do that with my venture. I'd drop it for sure. To be fair to the Concours, my riding skills were very rusty at the time and they are much better now. I've been seeing an 06 C10 with only about 13k miles on it for sale on craigslist in my area. It's dark blue. The guy is asking $4300 for it but after a while, that number will probably come down. The 08 C14 is selling for mid to high $5k now.

One thought maybe to do a deep research on the Canam Spyder. I have yet to talk to a Spyder rider who says that he or she should not have done it. They are a hoot of fun and easy to deal with. Do get a 2014 or newer though, you would be happier. If you have long legs then the F3 would be the ultimate choice. Keep in mind that you do not have the same body you had when you were 40 and formed your mind on things of the future, you are getting older and things tend to change a bit quicker so plan ahead, not in reverse.

@Marcarl

I am not quite ready to try to wrap my head around 3 wheels yet for a bunch of reasons.

I think that 200 lbs lighter is what is needed for me at this point, maybe in another 8-10 years it will be time for 3 wheels, just not yet. I will not be making a decision till it gets closer to spring and I see how my booboo has healed up. I am starting to look at options now so that IF I do get to the point of pulling the trigger I have a good idea of where I am pointed and can act fast. Who knows, the healing process may even push me down the road of looking at 3 wheels or even changing to a small convertible. Only time will tell.

There just aren't many bikes available with an upright seating position. They seem to be cruiser style with the feet forward or sport bike style supporting weight on the arms. I've been looking around craigslist for a good while reading all I can about different used bikes. Seems to me the BMW R bike is the best candidate. It's lighter 608lbs wet and in 2014 they even went to water cooling from what I understand.