IGNORED

Carburator Tuning

Hey folks, I bet there is a thread for this that I have not found yet. Let me start by stating my ride is '06 RSTD. I started out to get some better sound and a little more power. I gutted my stockers and got a terrible popping. bypassed the AIS and this helped some. Then I took the carbs off to get at pms. I backed those out to 31/2 turns. This also helped more but not enough. Reading here and on the other RSV/RSTD sites it appeared that syncing was the problem, again no good. I REBUILT the carbs went up one size on all the jets.. pilots from 15 to 17.5 and since the carbs have different the mains for #1 &2 were 122.5 to 125

#3 117 to 120 #4 120 to 122.5...maybe vice versa on these two. Adjusted floats I started pilot screws to 2.5 turns and installed a set of LA Choppers bag slash. carbs definitely need to be synced. I have a carbtune on the way from U.K. any day now. The bike sounds good accept for odd bump in idle which I attribute to carb balance. much more power and throttle response. good sound.. WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS??? THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR ADJUSTING THIS CARB PAC BEFORE I TRY TO SET THE IDLE AND SYNC.

If someone can answer I would most appreciate!!

Video on the syncing by "our very own" Pucster

Here's another thread/ instructions by Freebird who also advises that the Yamaha manual may not have the instructions correct!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?258-Syncronizing-the-Carbs

I'd like to do mine soon but am a bit wary of screwing it up!

Yeah, I know how to sync the carbs..not a problem.. I am wondering if there is a procedure for adjusting the carbs prior to syncing. setting pms that sort of thing.. All reading seems to say 2 1/2 turns out is to much for what I have done...im sure there is a procedure for setting the pms but is there also a sequence for the carb pac???

The right way is with a an exhaust gas analyzer. You can do a great job with the Colortune though. I don't think there's any required sequence. Just keep in mind that will have to adjust your idle several times during the procedure and you need to keep an eye on the operating temperature.

I like to tune to a perfect burn then enrich the pilot just a bit, maybe a degree or so. This gives me good throttle response from idle.

Tuning the pilot circuits will effect your sync, so it will need to be synced again. Some people like to do the whole process a couple times to get things perfect.

The right way is with a an exhaust gas analyzer. You can do a great job with the Colortune though. I don't think there's any required sequence. Just keep in mind that will have to adjust your idle several times during the procedure and you need to keep an eye on the operating temperature.

I like to tune to a perfect burn then enrich the pilot just a bit, maybe a degree or so. This gives me good throttle response from idle.

Tuning the pilot circuits will effect your sync, so it will need to be synced again. Some people like to do the whole process a couple times to get things perfect.

Thanks for chiming in here brother. I wasnt sure if there would be a sequence or not..Thought I would do the carb sync after adjusting the pilot mix. I recently ordered the carbtune and saw the colortune product and was impressed by it but saw some reviews that it was not so good a product , so I did not purchase. Do you or anyone else on the forum use the colortune device? and Have you had good luck with it?

Next, I cannot get to the pilot screws from the sides, all I see are the drain screws on the carb bowls. Maybe, there is a special tool for that or can I adjust the pilots with the tank and breather box off the the carb pac? Appreciate any advise on this. So used to V-twins this V-4 is all new.... I think I mentioned in my first post that I had blocked the AIS. Today I took the baffles out of the LA Choppers and put a 1inch wrap on them, Toned it down nicely and it seemed to run a little smoother but for sure the carbs are out of balance.

Video on the syncing by "our very own" Pucster

Here's another thread/ instructions by Freebird who also advises that the Yamaha manual may not have the instructions correct!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?258-Syncronizing-the-Carbs

I'd like to do mine soon but am a bit wary of screwing it up!

I forgot how yellow the dash looked when i first got Tinker, not its got the LED White/Blueish color..

Thanks for chiming in here brother. I wasnt sure if there would be a sequence or not..Thought I would do the carb sync after adjusting the pilot mix. I recently ordered the carbtune and saw the colortune product and was impressed by it but saw some reviews that it was not so good a product , so I did not purchase. Do you or anyone else on the forum use the colortune device? and Have you had good luck with it?

Next, I cannot get to the pilot screws from the sides, all I see are the drain screws on the carb bowls. Maybe, there is a special tool for that or can I adjust the pilots with the tank and breather box off the the carb pac? Appreciate any advise on this. So used to V-twins this V-4 is all new.... I think I mentioned in my first post that I had blocked the AIS. Today I took the baffles out of the LA Choppers and put a 1inch wrap on them, Toned it down nicely and it seemed to run a little smoother but for sure the carbs are out of balance.

I have the colortune plug and I just tweaked everything out on Tinker as I was changing her plugs out, had nice wear on my spark plugs not black and not white. but perfect coloring to them, Also a guy brought his bike over and we found out he was not getting fuel to his cylinder at idle or revved. But it would get a short burst of gas enuff to flash a bit of orange. the only thing it is a PITA trying to see the front colors because of stuff being in the way but it does come with the mirror things but I think it may be better used with one of the round mirros that dont fall if bumped like mine does, The rear two cylinders on my bike are easier to see I forget but i think you have a newer bike then Me and puc got. I will say its teh best 50 bux I have spent, as it lets me know what is really going on in the combustion chamber. I also found my carbs I had rebuilt by someone was dumping fuel on number 2 cylinder. I kept getting fouled spark plugs and so far since i have owned the colortune I have not had that problem. I will probably buy 3 more come next spring that way I can put them all four cylinders and sync the carbs all at the same time, probably not necassary but just be interesting to do.

Here is video not me of course or our bikes, but gives you general idea

Ya, Snyper316, I have seen this video. This one and the one they show at the site, they impressed me to be curious. It seemed like a legit device. So if you guys are using with success then the folks reviews running it down must have not known what was going on.. This will be a likely purchase for me then. Also, I have watched Pucs vids as well on the carb sync even though its a different gauge set than the Carbtune, but I understand that process.. Thanks for the advise and recommendation.

So,I assume with the gen 2 Royals its not an issue to have the tank and air box off while trying to adjust the pms???

Holy Moley! My Dad had one of those colourtune plugs back in the 70's. Used it a lot, never thought of using it on the bike. I think it disappeared along with a lot of other garage stuff after he died.

But that only gives you info to alter the air fuel mixture, it doesn't help with balancing the carbs though does it?

Edited by Kretz

Just to give you all the Idea here is my latest trip I filled up in Fayetteville Arkansas and road home and refilled the tank I just put in the new plugs and pictures will tell the story hear I have the 1983 Yamaha Venture.... I checked Sync and tweeked with the Colortune... 86.4 Miles and filled back up as much as I could cram in the tank only took the 1.977 gallons!!!

20170923_182442.jpg20170923_182528.jpg

I use the color tune with the tank and airboxes in place. I do unbolt the tank just to raise it enough to remove the dogbones for access to the front plugs.

Ok, Im convinced, I ordered the colortune pro. with 4 12mm plugs.

Freebird, I have an '06 RSTD. How do you access the pms with tank and airbox in place. I can't even see the pilot screws from the sides..

You have to look all the way through from the opposite side but you can see them. Use a flashlight if you need to. Unless they have been removed at some time, the screws are covered with brass caps so they won't look like screws. You have to use a long slender screwdriver to pry the caps off.

Wow! That 89 octane is quite expensive!
I never even noticed that till now.. Stations that sell non ethanol premium used to sell midgrade were forced to stop because it didn't meet standards of 10% ethanol... Because midgrade was just a mix of 87 and 91... I used to buy the midgrade to get less ethanol..... And was only 5-10cents more so figured why not.... Darn epa or whoever comes in to tell gas stations what they can or can't do!!

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

You have to look all the way through from the opposite side but you can see them. Use a flashlight if you need to. Unless they have been removed at some time, the screws are covered with brass caps so they won't look like screws. You have to use a long slender screwdriver to pry the caps off.

Caps removed and left off when I rebuilt the carbs. So, you're saying the pms are accessible between the carbs under the tank. Man , Im gonna need some strong cheaters and a bright flashlite..lol.. I want to thank all you folks for your help here. Glad I found the group. I am retired from auto service industry and I did pretty good on the 1700 Roadie. This V4 is a different bear to me, but I think Im gonna do ok. I do know she was a great barn find..literally...and only now has 8800 miles on an '06. 7912 when I found her. idle is a brrrr putt brrrr putt and the putt is on the right side. I am attributing that to the carb sync at this point. At speed she runs real good but maybe a little rich. I ordered the carb tune last week and I now have ordered the colortune Pro. made sense to do all four at once. That's the tech in me I guess and I like tools...hehe..

Will let you all know what happens when I get those tools. I the mean time Im gonna try to access those pilots screws for the coming tune...

Caps removed and left off when I rebuilt the carbs. So, you're saying the pms are accessible between the carbs under the tank. Man , Im gonna need some strong cheaters and a bright flashlite..lol.. I want to thank all you folks for your help here. Glad I found the group. I am retired from auto service industry and I did pretty good on the 1700 Roadie. This V4 is a different bear to me, but I think Im gonna do ok. I do know she was a great barn find..literally...and only now has 8800 miles on an '06. 7912 when I found her. idle is a brrrr putt brrrr putt and the putt is on the right side. I am attributing that to the carb sync at this point. At speed she runs real good but maybe a little rich. I ordered the carb tune last week and I now have ordered the colortune Pro. made sense to do all four at once. That's the tech in me I guess and I like tools...hehe..

Will let you all know what happens when I get those tools. I the mean time Im gonna try to access those pilots screws for the coming tune...