IGNORED

carbs leak when engine is running

I have a leak that has kept me from riding my 07 RSV for a few months now. I just finished cleaning the carbs and setting the float height. The problem remains. If I turn on the ignition and pull out the choke with the gas in the "ON" position, the pump spins up to run and everything remains dry. As soon as the bike starts it begins to drip fuel from only God knows where, by the time I see the first dip fall, the bottoms are all dripping to some degree from the lowest point on each. I did notice in particular that the input manifolds on the drivers side left are saturated. Only when running!??

any thoughts beyond the float pins and seals?

where is the overflow on these carbs

OK, Thanks for your input. I tried turning the ignition on/off about 4 times and waited a full 30 seconds each time to see if there was a sign of leaks. Note that I never actually started it. Each time I could hear the pump spin up to preload the carbs. No leaks were detected.

Afterwards, I put tissue around the fuel line and fuel rail and down below the carbs. Then I started it up. The leaking began immediately and I shut it off after about 10 seconds. One of the "T" junctions (left side) got the tissue wet. So I know now it is probably bad. Can't understand why it only happens when the engine is running though. There was also fuel dripping off the rear bowl. can't guess where it came from. Maybe it is all just the hose connections. I am going to get some replacements tomorrow and give that a try. Still don't know how the two manifolds on the left side are getting wet...

I'll post my results tomorrow night.

I should apologize. Ihave the same problem in two different posts. I’ll know better next time. Iwrapped the fuel supply lines with tissue and found one of them really wet thetissue quickly after starting the bike. Iremoved the assembly again and cleaned everything in the carburetors thoroughly…again. I found that the “T” connections between the carburetorsare $70. WOW! After I inspected themfor physical damage, and finding none, I have decided to try a thin film offuel resistant sealant on them and reassemble. I want to try this before I order parts. Even if it only holds for a minute it will verify the source of the leak. Then I can order the parts and clean up thesealant residue.

Alright, the problem with the leak and the float adjustment are both resolved. The culprit for the leak appears to be the "T connections on the fuel feed and possibly the bowl gaskets are suspect too. I used a fuel resistant gasket seal on both and the problem disappeared. I don't trust this for a permanent fix so my next and hopefully last action will be to order and install new "T" connectors and bowl gaskets.

Many thanks to all of you that spent the time analyzing my problem and offering help and suggestions.

Special thanks to Vgoose for providing a excellent process for aligning the floats.

There are also carb vents in there that gotta remain open IMHO.. Those carbs get warm from sitting between the jugs, and it is possible for them to produce enough internal pressure to cause some strange things like your talking about.. Not speaking of drains and over flows,, speaking of vents.. Make sense?