IGNORED

POLL #2! Newly released V-4 Yamaha Venture! Would you pre-order/purchase this year?

cowpuc

If the attached offering were real, would you pre-order/purchase a new V-4, shaft dri  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If the attached offering were real, would you pre-order/purchase a new V-4, shaft dri

• YES, for the love of all two wheels with a motor.
    • Nahh,, I simply dont put that much value on performance.
    • 25 thousand dollars for a motorcycle is INSANE!! NO!!
    • Puc is obsessed with this whole water cooled shaft drive V-4 thing!!
    • I would be interested but my motorcycle touring days are almost over!
    • I am not quite at the point in my life of real interest in a touring bike.

I think I got it this time!! VOTE HERE - the Polls are open!!!

PLEASE NOTE = PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ BELOW IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE CASTING YOUR VOTE!!!!

Hello Touring Motorcycle enthusiasts!! Depending on how long you have been a motorcyclist, you may have heard of us, we are Yamaha and, as promised we are on another precipice in our history of manufacturing and releasing to you, the motorcycling community, yet another motorcycle that will indeed - turn our industry UP SIDE DOWN!!

This time, we here at Yamaha have chosen to our focus our attention on the Touring Motorcycle segment - more specifically, on our highly popular Venture line!!!

Before disclosing our new Venture please take a moment to reflect with us on other historic moments in motorcycling history where we, here at Yamaha, also turned one of the segments in our industry up side down. Perhaps you, or someone you know, will have experienced one of these amazing moments in history first hand and this little reminder will put a huge adrenaline filled smile on your face. If this is not the case for you, PLEASE have no fret, we here at Yamaha are about to offer you a first time chance and history making opportunity to experience first hand what the meaning of "TURNING THE MOTORCYCLE WORLD UP SIDE DOWN" entails when we at Yamaha set out to do exactly that!!

***The research and development we spent in producing the "RD" street bikes of the early 1970's instantly turned the street bike world of that era upside down when those bikes were released!! Many people who owned those early RD350's can testify to the excitement they felt as their friends, riding machines with 3 or 4 times the Cubic Inch/cc size of these little giant killers, stood in complete awe as they consistently were only able to view the little RD by catching a glimpse of its round tail light lens displayed on its chrome rear fender disappearing in front of them - the street bike world was turned upside down and changed forever.. The durability of this amazing 2 stroke motorcycle was also well known as many of them made it well beyond 50,000 miles before receiving their first top end job - something unheard of during the air cooled 2 stroke street bike days of the iconic 70's. To this day, the RD400/RD350 and its little brothers draw huge attention at motorcycle shows around the world and continue to demand very high value in Vintage Motorcycle sales.

*** The biggest and foremost street motorcycle producer in the world has just released their 2018 line up. This competitor of ours and large organization has spent decades improving and attempting to engineer motorcycle suspention that could handle the endless variances associated with touring on a motorcycle, even in modern times. After endless attempts and large amounts of capital being spent on testing all forms of suspention methods - this company has chosen to use the Mono-Shock suspention exclusively on all their production motorcycles.

A long forgotten fact to many modern day motorcyclist is that in the early '70's, we at Yamaha once again turned the motorcycle industry upside down with the introduction of our newly invented Mono Shock system - that is right, we at Yamaha invented this amazing method of conquering complex suspention needs of the motorcycling industry. Our early "YZ" motocross bikes, with their Yamaha invented and engineered state of the art mono shock systems, turned the motocross industry up side down when those early machines were released - ask any one who remembers those days of yesteryear about this fact!! Due mainly to this historic invention on our behalf - those early "YZ"'s also demand an amazing value in the sales of Vintage Motorcycles to this day and almost all of our competition is now using a form of our Mono-Shock invention in some form or another.

***Now follow the front wheel of your minds eye with us back to the mid 1980's. It was the beginning of what would become an endless pursuit of all motorcycle manufacturers to become the king of kings in the Muscle Bike segment. Although the competition was tough in this corner of the market place and endless idea's were tried, our little 1200cc/74 inch V-4 V-Max turned the motorcycling world up side down! By using our incredible Yamaha invention known in the history books as the "V-Boost" system, our little 1200cc V-Max is still the undisputed king of the Muscle Bike segment in its engine size to this very day. Proving once again and forever more that when we set out to turn ANY motorcycle segment UP SIDE DOWN, we do what we say and we mean business! It is also note worthy to note that our early Yamaha V-Max's also continue to demand very fair prices on the open market - certainly a testament to what can and does happen when any new motorcycle turns its competitive market place upside down!!

***In the late 1990's, we here at Yamaha once again turned the off road and track motorcycling industry up side down with the introduction of our 5 valve, formula one racing pancake pistoned, high horse powered and extremely responsive to throttle four stroke "YZF" motorcycles. We turned the dirt bike world and track bike world up side down again! If that was not enough, using the same technology we turned the GP course motorcycle segment up side down with the introduction of the 1000cc R1world class super bike which, to this very day, maintains itsnstatus in the top ten fastest production motorcycles in the world!! Obviously, when a motorcycle manufacturer like Yamaha continues to turn the segments within its industry up side down it puts the whole world on notice!!

***In 2009 we here at Yamaha once again turned the motorcycling industry upside down with our next move in the Muscle Bike industry by introducing the our all new 1700cc, fuel injected V-4 Muscle Bike. That unbelievable machine is nothing short of spectacular. As a matter of fact, by turning the "big block" Muscle Bike segment up side down like we did, our competition in the big engine Muscle Bike segment gave up on this segment and instead chose to continue to do battle with the 1700cc V-Max's little brother that was introduced way back in the 1980's, we continue to thrive in that segment on our own!!! The compliment of all compliments and a trophy for continually fulfilling our promise when we say we are going to turn a motorcycling segment - UP SIDE DOWN!!

Fast forward now with us here at Yamaha to September 18th - 2017 as we are unleashing yet another one of our history changing motorcycles. This time our solid focus is on the ever challenging, large displacement touring motorcycle segment. We know from years of experience in this particular segment that the competition herein is nothing short of fierce - very similar in fact to the competition we faced back in every segment we listed above!!

Our current 1700cc V-Max engine has now proven itself extremely durable under all forms of conditions. We now have several experienced big block V-Max riders with well over 300,000 miles on this motor and we are extremely pleased with that and what our own in house testing revealed before we released that icon game changing machine to you, the buying public!! Blantantly - there is NOTHING like real life experience and we now once again have it, who says history does not repeat itself!! For this cause, our RnD department chose the 1700cc V-Max engine as a platform to build upon for our all new, turning the touring motorcycle segment UP SIDE DOWN, Yamaha Venture.

Many of our faithful Yamaha followers may also be aware that our RnD department has many decades of experimentation in Turbo Boosting within motorcycle applications. Using newly engineered and advanced electronic Ignition timing methods as well as all new Fuel Injection methods, we are now able to utilize twin turbo techology in conjuction with a detuned version of the 1700cc V-Max engine found in our history changing big block muscle bike to introduce an all new Venture that is guaranteed to turn the Touring Motorcycle segment UP SIDE DOWN!!

Using our Electronic "Mode Selection" button on the handle bar - you, the new owner of one of these modern, water cooled, shaft driven, aluminum framed Ventures can select 1 of 3 modes of riding fun. While our "easy way out" and fully functional "rain mode" will supply you with 175 HP and 160 Ft/lbs of endless smooth power that is completely controlled by our anti wheel spin mode and anti lock fully linked braking system - a quick flip of the same button will boost up the new Ventures twin turbo's to deliver an amazing 225 rear wheel horse power while also delivering a whooping 230 ft/Lbs of torque at the same rear wheel all while leaving the handling of such fun to you, the experienced modern day Touring Rider!!

Indeed - we here at Yamaha have once again - TURNED MOTORCYCLING HISTORY UP SIDE DOWN!!

We here at Yamaha are urging all Touring Motorcycle enthusiast to locate a Yamaha Dealership near you and schedule a demo ride on one of these amazing new machines. After doing so, we encourage you to consider something. For any one interested in pre-ordering one of these history making machines, we are offering a 5 year, Unlimited Mileage, full Yamaha Factory Warranty! This warranty offer is ONLY being offered on new Venture pre-orders taken before 1-1-2017. Second year bikes will come with our famous 2 year warranty and, of course, a purchasable extended warranty service contract can still be purchased. Also note that pre-order Ventures before that same time period will include a FREE upgrade to the Venture S model. The Venture S comes with our newly released Info System upgrade among other "S" model upgrades..

Regardless of whether you choose to join us in this excellent opportunity to get in on the ground floor of motorcycling history in the making or if you choose to examine yet another one of us here at Yamaha having "turned the motorcycle world UP SIDE DOWN" by viewing one of your friends who have chosen to participate in this one time offer and, much like those who chose to examine our RD350, being happy with examining this new machine from a tail lights perspective - we invite each of you to experience history in the making too, test rides are FREE!!

Last and foremost, as it has been expressed many times over and over, we bid you all the best in your touring motorcycling experience!!

YAMAHA = TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!

Edited by cowpuc

After reading this and knowing Yamaha engineering.... We aren't giving this Vtwin a chance... V4 - vtwin its a VENTURE And its made by Yamaha.. Either way if I had that cash I would buy one... They can only do so much testing, the true test comes from owners who will put 1000's of miles on these. And puc sorry it backfired here if they can do all that with engineering why can't they turn the touring world upside down with this power plant Vtwin bike?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

And puc sorry it backfired here if they can do all that with engineering why can't they turn the touring world upside down with this power plant Vtwin bike?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatal

While I TOTALLY love the way you think Snype (I really do), there are some things that are bound by the laws of physics and nature itself that create limitations and boundry's that simply cannot be crossed..

Simple things like Newtons 3rd law with states = "all actions have an equal and opposite reaction" still stand.. I know,, present philosophical thought is leaning in the direction of changing those time honored scientific standards (remembering how we were told that Tower 7 went down cause steel now melts at 600 degrees and most people believe that steel actually does now melt at that temp) but the fact is,, I dont buy into it so here are some thoughts on why I dont believe that air cooled, Big Inch V-twin push rod motor has the same capabilities that I spoke of.

First, the more pots you have operating, the smaller the bore/piston diameter needed to make up an equivalent Cubic Inch/cc.. Follow that? Smaller pistons are inherently easier on all components within the system because of the weight/mass of the pistons/rods.. Think of this for a second, when a piston changes direction as the crank spins and the rod moves up and down with the piston on the end of it - the mass and weight of the piston is doing all it can to continue in the direction it is going when the crank demands it changes direction.. I will give ya this,, things like using forged steel instead of cast steel (IMHO - here is where that engineering point you made comes into play) can and does make a huge difference BUT - even with all the changes made = equal changes within the multi cylinder - smaller pot motor will also advance it up the chain = the lighter weight of the smaller piston will ALWAYS be to its performance advantage.

Fact is, it is impossible for big pistons to be spun up in R's like a smaller piston can be spun up where a smaller piston can ALWAYS be spun at the lower speeds where the bigger pistons can safely operate at = make sense?? Dont be skeered to say NO Puc = I think your nuts cause I KNOW I can be hard to follow sometimes..

Now,, concerning water cooled compared to air.. Its a given fact that air cooled motors displace heat around their combustion chambers and jugs = it is why they have cooling fins in those areas. If a manufacturer - even Yamaha - says they have conquered the heat issue associated with riding an air cooled motor and those cooling fins on the side of the jugs are still present and not covered to protect the riders legs you can bet money on the fact that they are not telling the truth (IMHO).

On the other hand, water cooled motors displace the heat from their engines differently so those cooling fins are no longer needed (matter of fact, some water cooled bikes have fake fins on their jugs to make them LOOK like air cooled motors - thinking about that makes me laugh for some reason :rotf:,, we people are soooo funny to me :rotf::rotf:) - in the end, moving the heat disapation away from the riders legs makes it less likely that the rider will be burned = make sense?

Now with that said,, think on this.. As the size of the combustion chamber is increased - the more heat that is realized. That is why many of us geezers who actually spent touring time on the old 74 inch air cooled V-Twin Shovels can CLEARLY testify that those things were not even close to as hot on the legs as these new Big Inch V-Twins are..

Also in this package is the fact that the engines tolerances can all be much tighter on a water cooled motor than on an air cooled scoot.. Tight tolerances keep things glued together better and, IMHO, tend to make things last longer..

Probably boring ya, cant imagine I am not.. There are other things like viberation control so the motors dont self destruct, torque compensators needed to protect devices and components down the drive line sequence as a result of the weight/mass of huge pistons changing direction and all that stuff.. Bottom line,, and again, IMHO,, nope - aint no way,, aint no how an air cooled, big pistoned, push rod V-Twin stands the same chance.. :biker:

PS = will hand it to ya brother = aint NOTHIN sounds as good as a 45 degree air cooled pushrod motor out makin taters... Although,, a Formula 1 race car (or even rung out R1 for that matter) all spun up does sound pretty neat,, IMHO..

Edited by cowpuc

Why would I buy A bike without A TAPEDECK :parrots: :nanner:

I am SOOOOOOOOOO right there with ya my brother!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

:scratchchin:,, it would be like,,:think:,,,, it would be like standing in line for a hot dog and having em hand ya a bun with no :178: in it and sayin =There ya go,, all set!!! :detective::happy34:

OK Mr cowpuc, Just for giggles I'll play devils advocate for a bit here.

That new Yamaharley engine is 1854cc, that is 113 cubic inches. 2 cylinders so each cylinder is 927cc or 56.5ci.

Now look at a Chevy 8127cc, 496ci, V8, so each cylinder is 1016cc or 62ci

Just by dropping in a stroker crank it is 8374cc, or 511ci.each cylinder is 1046cc, or 64ci.

Now this Chevy V8 can spin even bigger pistons at 6000+RPM and make 78 HP per cylinder, and there is still room to improve on these numbers if you start getting into high buck race parts.

You can even buy a stroker kit for your daily driver that will bump the Chevy up to 540ci, which is 67.5ci @ 86HP per cylinder AND it will spin up to 7000 RPM, now you are getting close to the RPM that our Venture V4s can spin but are doing it with a piston and rod that is a LOT bigger than the new Yamaharley.

This tells me that Yamaha did not use all the room that the laws of physics gave them to work with and they left a lot of potential performance on the engineering room floor to feed the mice. That puny Yamaharley V-twin cold have been mad to turn a LOT more RPM to get a LOT more power on tap.

Yes they could have made a V-twin that could have turned the touring world upside down The physics make it possible their decisions did not make it happen.

Don't you just hate math and numbers..................

Edited by Flyinfool

My biggest worry is that a 2nd gen might just be able to pass this new V-twin, or worse yet a genuine Harley might even give it a run for its money. That would be down rite embarrassing. I am betting that a 1st gen has nothing to worry about from the new V-twin kid on the block.

OK Mr cowpuc, Just for giggles I'll play devils advocate for a bit here.

That new Yamaharley engine is 1854cc, that is 113 cubic inches. 2 cylinders so each cylinder is 927cc or 56.5ci.

Now look at a Chevy 8127cc, 496ci, V8, so each cylinder is 1016cc or 62ci

Just by dropping in a stroker crank it is 8374cc, or 511ci.each cylinder is 1046cc, or 64ci.

Now this Chevy V8 can spin even bigger pistons at 6000+RPM and make 78 HP per cylinder, and there is still room to improve on these numbers if you start getting into high buck race parts.

You can even buy a stroker kit for your daily driver that will bump the Chevy up to 540ci, which is 67.5ci @ 86HP per cylinder AND it will spin up to 7000 RPM, now you are getting close to the RPM that our Venture V4s can spin but are doing it with a piston and rod that is a LOT bigger than the new Yamaharley.

This tells me that Yamaha did not use all the room that the laws of physics gave them to work with and they left a lot of potential performance on the engineering room floor to feed the mice. That puny Yamaharley V-twin cold have been mad to turn a LOT more RPM to get a LOT more power on tap.

Yes they could have made a V-twin that could have turned the touring world upside down The physics make it possible their decisions did not make it happen.

Don't you just hate math and numbers..................

Your forgetting one HUGE thing in your advocacy for air cooled V-twins = that being that though, all your examples are not apples to apples cause they are water cooled motors.. Every thing changes when water cooling comes into play = tolerances can get tighter and so on and so forth.. Next thing to consider is your arqument actually supports my theory because we are talking 8 cylinder motors (actually wayyy closer in design to our V-4 than a V-twin). Take your math, and do the numbers on what a V-Twin motor would have to be (bore and stroke) to come up with the displacement you are talking about.. Just the imbalance harmonically that V-Twins have (especially when you move those cylinders as close together in degrees as the 113 is) and I promise you = without HUGE crank bearings and HUGE rods and HUGE balance shafts and HUGE compensators = that sucker would come unglued at anything over 2 grand..

What am I doin,, we aint suppose to be debating this stuff.. Causes grief to some folks.. Gotta say though, being from a engineering background = I am sure you get my point(s)..

Numbers shcumbers ummm you both have changed my mind let do a protest at Yamaha and picket for v4s.....

It is actually simpler than that - dont have to picket for V-4's,, just a name change to something like "Stratotourer" would have solved everything from my perspective.. That alone would have solved the whole debate,, well,, except for the "turning the touring world upside down" debate maybe but that debate would have been totally subjective until we see whether or not rider preference for air cooled v-twins actually produced the sales to show that indeed = Mom Yam was successful in doing so..

WHAT A BLAST :witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::stickpoke::crackup: Dear Lord,, please forgive me for my :witch_brew: ways.. Puc

My biggest worry is that a 2nd gen might just be able to pass this new V-twin, or worse yet a genuine Harley might even give it a run for its money. That would be down rite embarrassing. I am betting that a 1st gen has nothing to worry about from the new V-twin kid on the block.

Not even with a very very strong hurricane type tail wind.. Telling ya,, it pulls like a stock 88 inch Harley. A couple weeks ago my neighbor with his 103 inch modded Ultra, another buddy with his new CVO 110 inch Harley, another buddy with his 79 Wing and another buddy with his 103 HO Ultra Low had it out.. As always,, that beat up ol worn out Tweeks took off out front and never looked back.. At 125 the closes scoot was the CVO and it was a long way back there in rear view..

Telling ya Jeff,, I rode this new one,, it is wayyy neutered.. I personally have nephew that owns a Strat with that basic motor (Crank, pistons, rods, valves, push rods) and this new one aint even close to it and Tweeks will clean up his Strat real well.. My theory of the xtra balance shaft and xtra alternator = while being cool = has neutered that motor.. No idea of any one else on here has experience with adding weight to a fly wheel to tame hard hitting engines down but truly,, this is VERY common in the world I come from (big bore 2 stroke MX race bikes).. It is VERY common for folks learning to handle high horsepower and torque to do this so they have a little forgiveness room to learn to handle the power.. Not making this up,, hold on a second I will hit ebay up for a fly wheel weight like I am talking about.. When I do,, take note of how tiny the weight is.. On a 70 horse KX500 =12 oz's will pull about 20 horse off it = fact.. Think about that number when considering what the xtra balance shaft and alternator added to the 113 weight wize...

Here ya go

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R3.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfly+wheel+w.TRS0&_nkw=flywheel+weight&_sacat=0

This twin sounds like if someone did a true router this coming summer I don't think they would be grinning ear to ear at the end of the season.... I may if I drove like I do tinker blow this new one up.... Ok where do I get the v4 install...

Your forgetting one HUGE thing in your advocacy for air cooled V-twins = that being that though, all your examples are not apples to apples cause they are water cooled motors.. Every thing changes when water cooling comes into play = tolerances can get tighter and so on and so forth.. Next thing to consider is your arqument actually supports my theory because we are talking 8 cylinder motors (actually wayyy closer in design to our V-4 than a V-twin). Take your math, and do the numbers on what a V-Twin motor would have to be (bore and stroke) to come up with the displacement you are talking about.. Just the imbalance harmonically that V-Twins have (especially when you move those cylinders as close together in degrees as the 113 is) and I promise you = without HUGE crank bearings and HUGE rods and HUGE balance shafts and HUGE compensators = that sucker would come unglued at anything over 2 grand..

What am I doin,, we aint suppose to be debating this stuff.. Causes grief to some folks.. Gotta say though, being from a engineering background = I am sure you get my point(s)..

It is actually simpler than that - dont have to picket for V-4's,, just a name change to something like "Stratotourer" would have solved everything from my perspective.. That alone would have solved the whole debate,, well,, except for the "turning the touring world upside down" debate maybe but that debate would have been totally subjective until we see whether or not rider preference for air cooled v-twins actually produced the sales to show that indeed = Mom Yam was successful in doing so..

WHAT A BLAST :witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::stickpoke::crackup: Dear Lord,, please forgive me for my :witch_brew: ways.. Puc

As for the piston, your argument was the laws of physics did not allow a piston and rod the size of the big V-twin to change direction moving back and forth. the engine configuration or cooling method has zero bearing on the forces of moving the piston and then stopping it to reverse direction. I was simply giving examples of other applications where even bigger and heavier pistons can move even faster and still have no problem changing directions. While the forces are insignificant the starting and stopping of the piston is not something that happens suddenly. the speed of the piston starting at TDC will continuously accelerate for 90° of crank rotation, at that point the speed of the piston is maxed out and it will then begin to gradually decelerate back to 0 over the next 90° of crank rotation. You are trying to bring in other variables that I did not discuss. EVERYTHING in engineering is a compilation of compromises to achieve an end result.

Not even with a very very strong hurricane type tail wind.. Telling ya,, it pulls like a stock 88 inch Harley. A couple weeks ago my neighbor with his 103 inch modded Ultra, another buddy with his new CVO 110 inch Harley, another buddy with his 79 Wing and another buddy with his 103 HO Ultra Low had it out.. As always,, that beat up ol worn out Tweeks took off out front and never looked back.. At 125 the closes scoot was the CVO and it was a long way back there in rear view..

Telling ya Jeff,, I rode this new one,, it is wayyy neutered.. I personally have nephew that owns a Strat with that basic motor (Crank, pistons, rods, valves, push rods) and this new one aint even close to it and Tweeks will clean up his Strat real well.. My theory of the xtra balance shaft and xtra alternator = while being cool = has neutered that motor.. No idea of any one else on here has experience with adding weight to a fly wheel to tame hard hitting engines down but truly,, this is VERY common in the world I come from (big bore 2 stroke MX race bikes).. It is VERY common for folks learning to handle high horsepower and torque to do this so they have a little forgiveness room to learn to handle the power.. Not making this up,, hold on a second I will hit ebay up for a fly wheel weight like I am talking about.. When I do,, take note of how tiny the weight is.. On a 70 horse KX500 =12 oz's will pull about 20 horse off it = fact.. Think about that number when considering what the xtra balance shaft and alternator added to the 113 weight wize...

Here ya go

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R3.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfly+wheel+w.TRS0&_nkw=flywheel+weight&_sacat=0

Some of this is where perception and physics diverge.

Her is a quote from the ebay link you gave

A heavier flywheel can make a big difference to the characteristics of your dirt bikes engine. With heavier inertial mass your engine will have more spinning momentum. When youre on the throttle this translates to the power building up and coming on more smoothly, giving you increased traction and less stalling at low rpms. These characteristics are perfect for new riders just learning throttle control and seasoned enduro riders that need the extra momentum and engine lugging ability when they run into slow, technical terrain.

Adding rotating mass to the engine will not change the peak horse power at all. It will significantly change the time it takes to accelerate to max RPM. The time delay is what is perceived as a reduction of horse power when it in fact is just making the horse power come in more slowly and thus be more manageable by someone that has not yet learned to bring the power on slowly.

The same is true at the other end, the extra inertia of the spinning weight will help you launch out of the gate.

In the case of the big V-twin, the extra mass spinning with the crankshaft will help to smooth out the power pulses for a smoother power delivery to the rear wheel.