IGNORED

What to do next?

Ok so i got my 83 venture standard the PO told me that the clutch slave cylinder needs to be replaced and gave me a new cylinder and what looks to be the a 3 packages with all the stuff to rebuild the clutch cylinder, brake and clutch master cylinders, well it looks like that's the least of my problems I tried starting the bike this morning it turn but never starts I put fresh gas in the tank, brand new battery and nothing as of now I don't know what to do i would very much appreciate if someone points me in the right direction thank you in advance.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ride it home Ponch or tow it? Reason I am asking is to know whether or not it has been running and this non starting business is something new.

Gonna start out here by assuming it has not been started in a long time.. Assuming also the starter on the bike is spinning the motor over so we are not talking about an electrical problem at the starter or bad battery connection.. Set on the bike, lift the kickstand, turn the kill switch to "ON", turn on the key and you should hear the fuel pump come on and pump for a couple seconds -sound should come from left side by your foot - did you hear it? If not you may have a bad pump. Now turn the kill switch to off and back on again - pump should cycle again. Keep doing this till the pump slows down in its clicking and finally wont click any more = means your carb bowls are full. Close the choke = dont give it throttle - hit the starter and it should fire. If not, I would pull the fake tank cover - pull the air filter = look in there and see the throats of 4 carbs looking back at cha? Take a teaspoon of raw gas and dump them into each throat with the choke still closed. Now hit the starter and see if it fires = if it does = means your carbs are plugged and will need cleaning = no fuel getting into combustion chamber..

Yes,, could also be ignition but - by the sounds of things I would start with carburation (as described above) as this is kind of normal for scoots that have sat for a long time...

Hopefully this will get you started doing something till one of our guru's jumps in to help!!

Puc

Hi Mr PUC PUC!

Thank you very much for taking the time and enlight me with you knowledge this exactly the answer i was looking for. Ito be honest with you never heard the rapid clicks the fuel pump makes i just found out about that, other thing is that the fan kicks in a soon a i turn the switch to the on position is this normal? this is the main reason of why i didn't heard the clicks is should probably disconnect the fan.

Sorry i forgot the bike was trailered home i the PO say it was running last season there was fuel in the tank and i added a gallon of fresh gas but haven't done anything else other than that

I however used jump wires from my not running at that moment FJ cruiser and connected to the bike so i believed there was enough juice form the battery to cause a nice spark.

As far as the fan goes, there should be no reason whatsoever for the fan to turn on when cold UNLESS the PO installed an auxiliary fan switch for some reason or another.The fan has a separate thermal switch located along with the temperature gauge sensor inline with the radiator hose. The switch turns on whenever the water temperature gets to a certain temperature, usually around 195 degrees. Occasionally, but not that often, these switches can go bad, so the PO may have installed some kind of toggle switch to manually turn the dan on and off.

You should know that the early Venture's temperature gauges read very high, and it was normal to see them close to the maximum under normal operation. This was corrected with the MK2 Venture along with a long list of other. Also, if your carburetors are not properly synchronized this will cause the bike to run hotter as well! Also, just like an automobile, the cooling system needs to be flushed and new coolant installed at a regular interval like maybe every 4 years give or take. I'll betcha that hasn't been done for years on your bike!

Also, there is a coolant bypass valve on the bottom of the bike that needs to be in the right position! I've forgotten the right position but if you do a little searching here you will find out...

Sorry i forgot the bike was trailered home i the PO say it was running last season there was fuel in the tank and i added a gallon of fresh gas but haven't done anything else other than that

I however used jump wires from my not running at that moment FJ cruiser and connected to the bike so i believed there was enough juice form the battery to cause a nice spark.

I would pull a plug and bump the starter with plug attached to see if you see lightening

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Make sure you're getting power to the pump before you jump in to replacement. If no power check fuses, connections, and relay. A bike that's been setting sometimes collects mice that chew wires too. There's a wealth of info in the read only section to help methodically test the whole fuel system.

Make sure you're getting power to the pump before you jump in to replacement. If no power check fuses, connections, and relay. A bike that's been setting sometimes collects mice that chew wires too. There's a wealth of info in the read only section to help methodically test the whole fuel system.
Will do thank you Mr Dawson.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Will do thank you Mr Dawson.

easiest way to check fuel pump is get a jar and foot of fuel line hook to outlit side of fuel pump turn key on and it should shoot gas from 3-5 seconds more less a short burst of fuel. if you dont see that then move to testing the fuel system, but will add kick stand down and in gear I do not think the fuel pump will kick on till in neutral I could be wrong but I know on the engine kill switch you can rock it back and forth to fill bowls as mentioned above...

easiest way to check fuel pump is get a jar and foot of fuel line hook to outlit side of fuel pump turn key on and it should shoot gas from 3-5 seconds more less a short burst of fuel. if you dont see that then move to testing the fuel system, but will add kick stand down and in gear I do not think the fuel pump will kick on till in neutral I could be wrong but I know on the engine kill switch you can rock it back and forth to fill bowls as mentioned above...
Good idea I'll do that tonight and keep you posted.

Ok so i got my 83 venture standard the PO told me that the clutch slave cylinder needs to be replaced and gave me a new cylinder and what looks to be the a 3 packages with all the stuff to rebuild the clutch cylinder, brake and clutch master cylinders, well it looks like that's the least of my problems I tried starting the bike this morning it turn but never starts I put fresh gas in the tank, brand new battery and nothing as of now I don't know what to do i would very much appreciate if someone points me in the right direction thank you in advance.
Just adding picture of the bike. a1246918ec297d93eba2a82af370a1e7.jpgf5083a2cd05b2c780b48d6890a2af437.jpg41d84e3c4a250ebf28a9373e06127e0f.jpg36c5233b83e0e574356a3eca2ada40fe.jpg3dd629da667b47b52d7ffdd1ffda7464.jpg

Lots of really good info happening here!! As I recall the leads for the fuel pump terminate up under the side cover on the right hand side - I would unplug and check there for voltage first - it would be a quick way to tell if your issue may be other than the pump.. Gonna take a quick pic here for you if I get a chance.. Also, if it were mine I would try giving the pump a good rap on the backside where the points are if you have voltage at the terminal. Possibly nock the points loose and get er pumping again.

Just a sec,, will see if I can show you where pump terminal is with a pic...

See if this helps at all Ponch.. Only thing I think I missed here is that there are 2 bolts, not one, holding the pump bracket in place (didnt notice the other bolt until I bent down to pick up my screw driver after making this vid for you).. There is 1 bolt as shown in the vid at about 5 oclock - the other one is hidden back in along the frame rail at about 11 oclock.. That make sense? Maybe not.. I know,,, I KNOW = ol Puc only knows about half of what he thinks he knows and that half is even really hard to follow when he trys to explain it.. If ya need a pic of that second bolt - just holler..

Thank you guys I now have a lot of info to start in this project honestly i don't think this is too hard it's just time thanks to all of you I'm glad I found this blog best 12 bucks ever spent but best of all is you guys thank you again.

This has got to be the famed tweeks!!!

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

In all her fun loving, fully retired and donor bike glory - that be Tweeks!!

My gosh,, I almost forgot,, I got a PM request from someone not to long ago for a "what ever happened to Tweeks" video!! THANKS FOR RATTLIN MY TIRED OL BEANER SNYPE!!!

Thank you for the video Mr Puc Puc it was awesome now i know exactly what to do.

You betcha Ponch, glad I could be one of the positive assistances this time :biker:... Got a question for ya,, thinkin there was another "Ponch" who was part of our club years ago,, think he got injured in a bike crash.. Your not he are you!! :Cartoon_397:

Knock on wood Mr Puc Puc fortunately no.

I tested the current from the connector you showed me in the video and there is current I unplugged the hose marked out and no gas came out it was dry and also unplugged the "in" and also dry

I'm going to take the filter to see if us wet with gas let you know tomorrow.

Before going to sleep I want to post thr update on the "no gas" "bad fuel pump""no current" problem that I was having but first I want to thank each one of you for been such nice people in this forum thank you guys and here it is .5ce51ba6212e4847bc5f8e6d9c4dd683.jpg

Glad to see you found one of your scoots issues Ponch. Unfortunately, I do not believe having the fuel shot off or not getting fuel to the pump will cause the pump to not continue pumping.. Not getting fuel to the pump will actually cause the pump to get louder as it empties itself of fuel. Now that you know you have voltage at the terminal (congrats!!) and you know the fuel was off - they next thing I would do is turn on the gas, plug the pump back in, take the handle of a screw driver and nock on the side of the pump right after turning the key on - maybe you will get lucky and the pump or points within the pump will go free and start pumping.. Make sense?

If that doesnt work I would pull the pump, look at the cover on the back side, you will probably notice some plastic like bakolite stuff covering a small screw in the center of that cover.. Just chip the bakolite away, unscrew the little screw and pull the bowl shaped cover off the back of the pump = the points are under it.. The only time I had a pump failure in all the years of riding these things I was a long long way from home and it was hotter than a super heated boiler tube outside so I didnt bother ripping into it like I am telling you,, I just pulled the hoses, plugged em on my extra pump from my maintenance dept (right saddle bag), unpluged the terminal and plugged into the xtra and tie wrapped the whole mess behind Tips foot and we finished a 15k mile journey like that.. Pulled the old pump when I got home, opened it up and found out all I had to do was clean the pionts up a little and I probably coulda got home with it..

All that said and thinking about what you got going on here.. Thinking you REALLY have no idea what you have cause you have yet to hear it run = correct? Assuming this is so, here is what I would do:

Get the top off a gear lube bottle - it will be long and tapered for filling rear ends.. Take that top and, after filling an empty quart of oil with gas, screw the top back onto the gas filled oil container.. Now pull the OUTLET hose off the fuel pump and attach that hose onto the end of the tapered cap of the oil bottle. Squeeze the oil bottle forcing fuel into the bowls of the carbs. Keep doing this until you feel the oil container refuse to push gas = carb bowls are full. Refill the oil container and leave it connected. Remove the air filter (should always do this in search of mice nests in old scoots your trying to bring back to life) so you can see down the carbs, take a long screw driver and press gently on the faces of the slide (DO NOT PRY IF THEY ARE STUCK) to see if they are stuck. If they slide freely, take a teaspoon of raw gas and put it in each carb with choke closed = hit starter and see if she will start. If it does, let it warm up while you keep the bowls full while gently squeezing bottle..

Also,, dont forget to check oil and water levels before doing this - no since in ruining a good motor trying to figure out whther thats what you have or not..

Hope this helps again. I have surgery at 9 in the a.m... If all goes well I will check here tomorrow night to see how ya made out.. Dont get discouraged!!! Have seen more than one scoot just like yours revived and ending up setting the roads on fire for 200,000 miles plus after being given a new lease on life!!

Good morning Mr puc! I hope everything goes well for you in your surgery. I want you know that I did what you told me about turning the switch to the on position and pressing the kill switch as you have said in your post and it worked as I now can hear the pump clicking sounds I will try to start it like this and if it doesn't work I'm going to do what you said in this post thank and get well soon wish you the best.