IGNORED

Tires

I just priced out a set of tires, installed, for the new Venture---$1000.00. OUCH.

The Yamaha Rep said the tires will get 6-7,ooo miles. That means maybe 5,000 miles.

I ride 15-20,000 miles a year so that means I would be spending $3,000 a year on tires.

My last trip was 9000 miles and I took oil and filter with me. Guess I'd need a bigger trailer to take extra tires.

OOPS! Forgot ---New Venture NO TRAILER HITCH.

What tires did they quote you on? I'm in Canada (usually more expensive than the U.S.) and I'm pretty sure my set of E3's (front and back) in total was around or less than $500 installed - this included removing the wheels, mounting and balancing the tires.
I haven't checked recently but there were no E3's that fit the Yamaharley. Might change, who knows.

Where did you find them? I have done a little searching and didn't even find the published size on the Bridgestone site.

200/55R16

Which leads me to ask. WHY? Why would a company build a brand new motorcycle and equip it with a tire that very few people make? I'm sure if the bike is a success then some manufacturers will produce it but why not just go with something that is more standard like the 200/60R-16.

Where did you find them? I have done a little searching and didn't even find the published size on the Bridgestone site.

200/55R16

Which leads me to ask. WHY? Why would a company build a brand new motorcycle and equip it with a tire that very few people make? I'm sure if the bike is a success then some manufacturers will produce it but why not just go with something that is more standard like the 200/60R-16.

Front Tire Dennis Kirk, have to look at my history when I get home to see where I found the rear tire.

Looking this morning I cannot find the rear one maybe I was drunk last night.

Edited by etcswjoe

200/55R16

If memory serves me well, the stratoliner/roadlinner were in the same boat when they first came out, only rear tire you could get in the correct size was the OEM stock tire. Not sure if is the same tire as the new Venture or not, but I pretty sure that eventually other manufacturers started making tires for the stratoliner/roadliner, there may be hope, but could take a while.

I also did a lot of searching and never found a source for the rear tire. So you will be at the mercy of the nearest Yamaha dealer to get a tire while on the road unless you bring a spare with you.

I am sure it will not take to long for someone to figure out a trailer hitch for the new Yamaharley.

I just priced out a set of tires, installed, for the new Venture---$1000.00. OUCH.

The Yamaha Rep said the tires will get 6-7,ooo miles. That means maybe 5,000 miles.

I ride 15-20,000 miles a year so that means I would be spending $3,000 a year on tires.

My last trip was 9000 miles and I took oil and filter with me. Guess I'd need a bigger trailer to take extra tires.

OOPS! Forgot ---New Venture NO TRAILER HITCH.

Very interesting thread you have going here Cheny = personally I commend you on your observation here = especially concerning the rear tire on the new machine...

If you went back to the thread (found here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?102280-Let-the-discussion-begin ) our clubs leader and founder (Freebird) started about asking what we Venture riders would be expecting/wanting in a new Venture should Mom Yam decided to build one, and slid down to post #9 - among a few other items on the wish list in that post you will also notice this paragraph that clearly addresses the theme of your thread here:

"""Add a large foot onto side stand - tired of bending over to pick up stand plate after parking on loose ground.

Explore which tire sizes are the most common and build around those standards so tire choices and finding them are easy.

Remember those long grips you used on the first gens? Use those, I love bending them back onto my knees.

Enclose the motor well to keep ANY objectional heat off both riders BUT - use lots of venting with plenums to act as heaters when needed."""

Last month my wife and I attended the Sturgis Rally and had an opportunity to ride the new scoots.. Knowing the factory guys would be there, I went prepared with questions from folks on our site to ask and I also made a copy of that thread to discuss with the boys from Mom Yam. The tire issue you noticed was something I discussed with them in detail and, I actually read to them that part of the prior thread to give them a glance at how important it is to some touring riders to have a fairly easy to find - affordable tire in the advent of a flat..

I also know from experience (my nephew owns a GORGEOUS Stratoliner that he set up for touring two up) that the torquey 113 does tend to be hard on rear tires = 6 thousand miles with 2 up touring was fairly common on Jon's Strat.. I noticed the odd size on this new one and, going from memory - did not recall that being the size of the Strats. The new tire was obviously a whole new breed in and of itself.

I asked about that and was told that they were in fact looking for exclusiveness as that seems to be what the modern day touring rider is looking for in a bike - want to be unlike any other.. As in all things in this new world when considering that,,, it seems the new breed is also willing to pay for such exclusiveness as I was also informed that a high end exclusive tire on a high end exclusive bike is to be expected..

Hope this makes sense!!

Puc

Just what I want....a bike sitting in my garage so I can show everyone my new EXCLUSIVE HIGH END bike with EXCLUSIVE HIGH END $1000.00 tires!

I would rather show them a bike like my first Venture, 120,000 mile in 5 years with no problems or the Venture I have now, 50,000 mile in 3 years with no problems.

How can it be called a TOURING bike when you can't do more than 5,000 miles in a single trip? My last trip was 9,000 miles and 1 set of tires and plenty of tread to spare.

I just don't believe that there is any way that those tires are going to be anywhere near $1000.00. I'm sure that other companies will come out with them but thought I haven't found that particular tire listed anywhere yet, the Bridgestone 200/60R sells for around $180.00 and the 200/50R for around $176.00 at Revzilla. I don't see the 200/55 being a lot different than that. They are probably even cheaper some places.[h=1][/h]

All I can say is ask your dealer for pricing for a set installed.

I talked with Dunlop Friday. I was told they would wait to see how many bikes are sold and how many requests they receive before they will offer a replacement tire.

SO, the more calls they get the quicker they'll offer a replacement tire.

Very interesting thread you have going here Cheny = personally I commend you on your observation here = especially concerning the rear tire on the new machine...

If you went back to the thread (found here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?102280-Let-the-discussion-begin ) our clubs leader and founder (Freebird) started about asking what we Venture riders would be expecting/wanting in a new Venture should Mom Yam decided to build one, and slid down to post #9 - among a few other items on the wish list in that post you will also notice this paragraph that clearly addresses the theme of your thread here:

"""Add a large foot onto side stand - tired of bending over to pick up stand plate after parking on loose ground.

Explore which tire sizes are the most common and build around those standards so tire choices and finding them are easy.

Remember those long grips you used on the first gens? Use those, I love bending them back onto my knees.

Enclose the motor well to keep ANY objectional heat off both riders BUT - use lots of venting with plenums to act as heaters when needed."""

Last month my wife and I attended the Sturgis Rally and had an opportunity to ride the new scoots.. Knowing the factory guys would be there, I went prepared with questions from folks on our site to ask and I also made a copy of that thread to discuss with the boys from Mom Yam. The tire issue you noticed was something I discussed with them in detail and, I actually read to them that part of the prior thread to give them a glance at how important it is to some touring riders to have a fairly easy to find - affordable tire in the advent of a flat..

I also know from experience (my nephew owns a GORGEOUS Stratoliner that he set up for touring two up) that the torquey 113 does tend to be hard on rear tires = 6 thousand miles with 2 up touring was fairly common on Jon's Strat.. I noticed the odd size on this new one and, going from memory - did not recall that being the size of the Strats. The new tire was obviously a whole new breed in and of itself.

I asked about that and was told that they were in fact looking for exclusiveness as that seems to be what the modern day touring rider is looking for in a bike - want to be unlike any other.. As in all things in this new world when considering that,,, it seems the new breed is also willing to pay for such exclusiveness as I was also informed that a high end exclusive tire on a high end exclusive bike is to be expected..

Hope this makes sense!!

Puc

Well PUC you nailed it again. Yamaha only made this bike with a weird tire size because that is what their sample of riders wanted. How stupid do they think we are? My guess is either they have an engineer on crack or there are royalties involved. I coined the phrase SDE (society of drunken engineers) for a reason. Because sober people would not design stuff like this.

Mike

Those prices are actually wayyy beyond comparable HD parts pricing. Closer to Polaris pricing on their Indian parts pricing. Mom Yam has definitly entered into the exclusivity club.

Wowzy,,, that is sad... I will have ran 6 tires off my 1st Gen this summer very shortly,, had that been on the new one that would have been 3600 dollars just for those 6 tires and that would have been if I were able to get them from a dealer who didnt run the price up on me. In other words, I dont wanna get caught out CTFW and needing rubber cause the last time that happened to me was out in Moab and the dealer there wanted 225 bucks for an 85 dollar 404 Dunlop..

Now couple that with splitting a belt by picking up rock while two tracking and there goes another close to 6 bills.. A new rear wheel is cheaper than a rear tire and almost the same cost as a new belt!! Almost like someone selected the higher use parts and ran the prices up x3 or something.. Wow is that sad!!!

For those buyers who dont realize how hard on rear tires the 113 is in the Strat, this could be a real eye opener..

Good find Duey but sad non the less..

• 2 weeks later...