IGNORED

help!!!! I broke down, whats the problem? I got towed home

99 venture.Beautiful bike,51,000 miles.I am the second owner.My owners manual and repair manual showing the lever of the fuel petcock to be the pointer, not the blunt end.3 oclock is off, 6 oclock is on,12 oclock is reserve.The bike should run on on or reserve unless its almost out of gas.yesterday it wouldnt start.The tank looked bone dry.We had an imitation gas scare here in texas so finding a station with gas was a little hard.When I did all I could get was premium gas.So I took my gascan for my lawnmower,filled it up with premium and went to the bike.I poured the whole can it, it filled up the tank.problem is the can says it only holds 2.8 gallons.So I wasnt out of gas.I tried every position.Finally when it appeared according to the manual I had it on reserve and held the bike upright,level, the bike started and ran fine.I figured it just needed to fill up the fuel pump. Then this morning i was headed off to a CMA get together in a town 25 miles away.I had turned the lever to 3 oclock, meaning off to me.I put it back at 6 and again at 12.The petcock was dripping gas a little.I had pulled the choke out, so I pushed it back in.Finally it started and ran fine.The gas gauge showed almost full.Maybe 9/10 full.About 20 miles towards the 25 I intended going the bike quit like I had turned off the switch.I pulled off, tried the petcock in different positions, the bike started again. I got lost,stopped for directions, the bike was once again hard to start.At that point I said i better just go home.I was going up a fairly steep hill and the bike quit again.2 guys helped me get it to level ground.While waiting on a wrecker the bike would start up and take a throttle twist just fine.But i was afraid to try it again.here are my thought

1.bad gas.The gas was selling like crazy here because everyone was freaking out buying gas,filling cans,etc.Maybe the pumps had got down to trash in the bottom.

2.I put the gas in a lawnmower can,maybe it had some junk in it.

3.The bike wasnt really on empty or it would have held more than 2.8 gallons.

4.the petcock might be bad.

5.When the choke is pushed in as far as it goes it still sticks out a couple inches.That appears like how it is made.It will pull out about 2 more inches when choking it on cold starts.

6.The tube from the tank to the petcock wasnt kinked or broken

7.maybe its the fuel pump.They cost $16.00. I have no idea how likely that is.

8.It doesnt show any kind of fuel filter on these bikes in my manual.

My plan: dump all the gas out.Buy a new unused gascan,put gas in the bike.Take off the sidecovers,check the fuel pump.The manual shows turning the petcock from off, to reserve, to on.The fuel should run out in all positions except off.If it doesnt run ou when its on or reserve I suspect the fuel pump.Any and all input appreciated.

So a couple of things.

Yes there is a fuel filter, actually there are two. Primary one is beside the battery behind the left side cover near the fuel pump area, it is a real pain in the butt to get to and get out, it is mounted with a rubber strap that is secured to a metal bracket. The secondary fuel filter is part of the petcock, if you pull the petcock out of the bottom of the tank you will find it has small cone shaped screens on the inlets. Any or all of them could be plugged.

Yes fuel pumps on these bikes go bad and there has been a pretty sizable number of folks that have had issues with them.

If this happens again, very carefully remove the gas cap and listen for a sucking or whooshing type noise, that would indicate that the tank vent is plugged, some have had issues with critters crawling up the vent tube and making a nest or getting stuck and die , this will restrict the air getting back into the tank to replace the gas volume removed as the bike is ridden, causes a vacuum and the bike dies of fuel starvation. Easiest way to check for this is to pull the vent line off the pipe on the tank and blow some compressed air through it, then check to see if anything came out.

Hope this helps.

So a couple of things.

Yes there is a fuel filter, actually there are two. Primary one is beside the battery behind the left side cover near the fuel pump area, it is a real pain in the butt to get to and get out, it is mounted with a rubber strap that is secured to a metal bracket. The secondary fuel filter is part of the petcock, if you pull the petcock out of the bottom of the tank you will find it has small cone shaped screens on the inlets. Any or all of them could be plugged.

Yes fuel pumps on these bikes go bad and there has been a pretty sizable number of folks that have had issues with them.

If this happens again, very carefully remove the gas cap and listen for a sucking or whooshing type noise, that would indicate that the tank vent is plugged, some have had issues with critters crawling up the vent tube and making a nest or getting stuck and die , this will restrict the air getting back into the tank to replace the gas volume removed as the bike is ridden, causes a vacuum and the bike dies of fuel starvation. Easiest way to check for this is to pull the vent line off the pipe on the tank and blow some compressed air through it, then check to see if anything came out.

Hope this helps.

I dont think any bike for the last several decades was made without a mesh screen filter on the petcock as it goes up in the tank.I totally forgot about that.I will definitely do the listen thing with the gas cap.Where would you buy a fuel pump, or any parts that you might need? There are so many places. Which is best?

You said that a little gas came out of the petcock? I am assuming you had the fuel hose off the bottom and it was not a steady stream? If this is the case the problem is in the tank either the vent hose is clogged or the petcock screen is clogged like has already been said.

With the hose off the petcock take the gas cap off, if gas starts to flow it is the vent hose, if not it is the petcock or screen.

If I am reading your post wrong and you did have a good stream of gas out of the petcock the fuel filter is clogged or your fuel pump is bad. When you turn your ignition switch on you should hear the fuel pump click for a couple of seconds if no clicking the pump is most likely bad.

The reason your bike started after sitting is because some fuel is getting by and filling the bowls but you are running it out before they can refill.

You can also take the hose off at the carbs and see if you have good flow.

Here is a post for an alternative fuel pump, an OEM is a couple hundred bucks last time I checked.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?86265-Mr-Gasket-Fuel-Pump-Conversion

Edited by etcswjoe

I dont think any bike for the last several decades was made without a mesh screen filter on the petcock as it goes up in the tank.I totally forgot about that.I will definitely do the listen thing with the gas cap.Where would you buy a fuel pump, or any parts that you might need? There are so many places. Which is best?

Joe has some very good advice, if you find the fuel pump is the issue here is a link to get the points for the fuel pump, they ae what normally go bad on the pump.

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/pages/Catalog/Product/158278

Joe has some very good advice, if you find the fuel pump is the issue here is a link to get the points for the fuel pump, they ae what normally go bad on the pump.

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/pages/Catalog/Product/158278

I had no idea it had points.I assumed it was just like any other pump with diaphragms,one way valves etc.Your link has same part number and 2 prices.Both are the same,will work on a 99 I assume.So the cover on my pump comes off, replace this part, good to go? Thanks.

wow! man, doesnt get any clearer than that.Thanks so much.I had a ford van once, filter got clogged, not enough fuel line to run without it, took a hammer and nail, back on the road.not an option here.Thanks a bunch.

So when your done messing around with the old point type pump. Here is a post on how to install a solid state pump. No points to burn up.

great how to tutorial.I dont really need to know but if it doesnt have points system how does it work.Like a purely electrical pump with some sort of switch that opens and closes with the ignition key?

great how to tutorial.I dont really need to know but if it doesnt have points system how does it work.Like a purely electrical pump with some sort of switch that opens and closes with the ignition key?

I have no idea what makes it work. Magic I guess. Solid state no contacts I presume its a timed circuit. Wire it rite in on the wires from the OEM pump. Prices are different depending on where you source it. I needed one "now" and my autozone had one. If I could have waited I would have looked around more. There is also a "facett" brand pump that has a check valve to prevent flow with out the pump on. It is pricier than the MR Gasket but thats why its FAA approved for aircraft.

The pump works by energizing a coil that pulls a piston in once it hits bottom the coil de-energizes and a spring either pulls or pushes the piston back to the starting location and the coil is energized again, repeating the cycle. The power to the coil is turned off and on either by a set of points that open and close that make the circuit complete or by an SCR or SSR(Solid State Relay) which is is essentially just a heavy duty transistor, the transistor gate is opened or closed by application of voltage to the proper leg this allows it to act like a mechanical relay to allow voltage thru or open and stop voltage, same as the points but no moving parts to break down or wear out.

Yes magic.:starz:

More info you do not need , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_relay

because of the excellent pictorial posted here I got the filter on.It is a real pain to get to.hard to beleive how many bolts have to be removed.Then I had to go to autozone and buy a longhandled angled needlenosed piars to get the hose clamps loose.I am putting it back together.And then it might be that the filter wasnt even the problem.But as bad as the filter looked it needed replaced.It might even be the 1999 one.So time well spent, just a pain to do.I thought about putting it under the seat but that makes the gas run uphill.I didnt think that was a good idea.I can only imagine how much fun it will be trying to get the small phillips head screw back in to secure the front cover.

wow! man, doesnt get any clearer than that.Thanks so much.I had a ford van once, filter got clogged, not enough fuel line to run without it, took a hammer and nail, back on the road.not an option here.Thanks a bunch.

I work in IT and have written user guides so I'm used to doing step by step instructions. Glad you found it helpful and detailed.

I work in IT and have written user guides so I'm used to doing step by step instructions. Glad you found it helpful and detailed.

I can tell.Yamaha couldnt have made it more difficult.$7.00 part.Forever getting the bolts,covers out and off to get to it.Thanks for the great pictures.

If you can blow easily through the old filter, it’s probablynot your problem.

Earl

I know.But its replaced now.I will say the bike started immediately whereas it cranked a little before.perhaps just because the filter is new.I know I may still need to replace the fuel pump.partzilla has one listed for only $270.00. I have seen them for $16.00 on ebay.I was told those are junk.I also saw the link for the points replacement kit and another how to posted here for pointless pump replacement.I will just have to wait and see what the bike needs.

I have a couple questions.my 99 rsv.It doesnt have any more running issues.When I took the filter off it looked like the 1999 one.No longer white, more rusty red color.The very slight gas shortage here for a few days had people running scared.All but premium ran out, then premium ran out and only regular was available, then people were filling up their cars, extra gas cans, it was reminiscent of 1980.Anyhow, I think it was pumped out so fast and so low the tank trash got into my filter.I went to sturgis in 2009.The gas was selling so fast along the way especially in nebraska lots of guys broke down with junk in their carbs.

I was surprised how easy the fuel pump is to get to on this bike and how difficult the fuel filter is to get to.I didnt relocate it under the seat.I wasnt sure it would pump gas uphill well enough.Now to the point: I am taking my front fairing cover off to repaint it.It had a lot of scrapes on it from being dropped at parade speeds by the previous owner. A car cut in between all the bikes causing him to crash.He suffered a broken collarbone and 3 broken ribs.So as I am reapainting this fairing I was just surfing and found the article on the eleganza.I posted it under second gen tech.Denny Berg put a flush mount popup filler cap.I realize probably the old bung and cap would have to go and a new one welded in probably.But it doesnt appear a popup would have a vent.It worked for denny, just wondering how.Would I have to bypass the stock vent tube? I am in the process of learning how to paint a vehicle.My guinea pig is going to be my 24 year old truck. A friend of mine owns 5 auto paint stores.She will sell me all the right stuff.No way I can hurt this truck.After I get that done I might try my hand at painting this bike.Since my bike looks almost perfect its not a need or maybe will never happen.But if I do sand it down, strip and repaint i would consider doing the gascap mod at the same time.I am thinking candy copper with electric blue pinstripes.On the truck and the bike.