TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: help!!!! I broke down, whats the problem? I got towed home

Quote Originally Posted by mm482 View Post
    This link will show you the fuel filter and fuel pump.
    http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...he-fuel-filter

because of the excellent pictorial posted here I got the filter on.It is a real pain to get to.hard to beleive how many bolts have to be removed.Then I had to go to autozone and buy a longhandled angled needlenosed piars to get the hose clamps loose.I am putting it back together.And then it might be that the filter wasnt even the problem.But as bad as the filter looked it needed replaced.It might even be the 1999 one.So time well spent, just a pain to do.I thought about putting it under the seat but that makes the gas run uphill.I didnt think that was a good idea.I can only imagine how much fun it will be trying to get the small phillips head screw back in to secure the front cover.
    Proud owner of a 99 venture.faster than all others. Best of the 4 ventures I have owned.

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can blow easily through the old filter, itís probablynot your problem.
    Earl

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserlover View Post
    wow! man, doesnt get any clearer than that.Thanks so much.I had a ford van once, filter got clogged, not enough fuel line to run without it, took a hammer and nail, back on the road.not an option here.Thanks a bunch.
    I work in IT and have written user guides so I'm used to doing step by step instructions. Glad you found it helpful and detailed.
    Don

5. Likes cruiserlover liked this post
    United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XV1100SE View Post
    I work in IT and have written user guides so I'm used to doing step by step instructions. Glad you found it helpful and detailed.
    I can tell.Yamaha couldnt have made it more difficult.$7.00 part.Forever getting the bolts,covers out and off to get to it.Thanks for the great pictures.
    Proud owner of a 99 venture.faster than all others. Best of the 4 ventures I have owned.

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mm482 View Post
    If you can blow easily through the old filter, itís probablynot your problem.
    Earl
    I know.But its replaced now.I will say the bike started immediately whereas it cranked a little before.perhaps just because the filter is new.I know I may still need to replace the fuel pump.partzilla has one listed for only $270.00. I have seen them for $16.00 on ebay.I was told those are junk.I also saw the link for the points replacement kit and another how to posted here for pointless pump replacement.I will just have to wait and see what the bike needs.

8. Likes mm482 liked this post
    United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

took the bike for a spin.I think it would do 11s in the 1/4 mile now.Those sidecovers are a pain to get back on but the front cover is the hardest.I hope to never do this again.Most fuel filters are easy to see and replace.

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple questions.my 99 rsv.It doesnt have any more running issues.When I took the filter off it looked like the 1999 one.No longer white, more rusty red color.The very slight gas shortage here for a few days had people running scared.All but premium ran out, then premium ran out and only regular was available, then people were filling up their cars, extra gas cans, it was reminiscent of 1980.Anyhow, I think it was pumped out so fast and so low the tank trash got into my filter.I went to sturgis in 2009.The gas was selling so fast along the way especially in nebraska lots of guys broke down with junk in their carbs.

I was surprised how easy the fuel pump is to get to on this bike and how difficult the fuel filter is to get to.I didnt relocate it under the seat.I wasnt sure it would pump gas uphill well enough.Now to the point: I am taking my front fairing cover off to repaint it.It had a lot of scrapes on it from being dropped at parade speeds by the previous owner. A car cut in between all the bikes causing him to crash.He suffered a broken collarbone and 3 broken ribs.So as I am reapainting this fairing I was just surfing and found the article on the eleganza.I posted it under second gen tech.Denny Berg put a flush mount popup filler cap.I realize probably the old bung and cap would have to go and a new one welded in probably.But it doesnt appear a popup would have a vent.It worked for denny, just wondering how.Would I have to bypass the stock vent tube? I am in the process of learning how to paint a vehicle.My guinea pig is going to be my 24 year old truck. A friend of mine owns 5 auto paint stores.She will sell me all the right stuff.No way I can hurt this truck.After I get that done I might try my hand at painting this bike.Since my bike looks almost perfect its not a need or maybe will never happen.But if I do sand it down, strip and repaint i would consider doing the gascap mod at the same time.I am thinking candy copper with electric blue pinstripes.On the truck and the bike.

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of today's paints are highly toxic. So make sure you protect yourself. I think it is even illegal to paint a vehicle without a properly designed paint booth is some areas. Your buddy should be able to explain all to you.
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Many of today's paints are highly toxic. So make sure you protect yourself. I think it is even illegal to paint a vehicle without a properly designed paint booth is some areas. Your buddy should be able to explain all to you.
    ok.I did not know that

Tasmania Australia
    Ta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i took one look at where the fuel filter was and decided to move it with a bit of extra fuel hose it fits nicely under the seat easy to see and replace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel filter.jpg  
    Growing Old Disgracefully

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M61A1MECH View Post
    The pump works by energizing a coil that pulls a piston in once it hits bottom the coil de-energizes and a spring either pulls or pushes the piston back to the starting location and the coil is energized again, repeating the cycle. The power to the coil is turned off and on either by a set of points that open and close that make the circuit complete or by an SCR or SSR(Solid State Relay) which is is essentially just a heavy duty transistor, the transistor gate is opened or closed by application of voltage to the proper leg this allows it to act like a mechanical relay to allow voltage thru or open and stop voltage, same as the points but no moving parts to break down or wear out.
    Yes magic.
    More info you do not need , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_relay
    great info .thanks.

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k9cottage View Post
    i took one look at where the fuel filter was and decided to move it with a bit of extra fuel hose it fits nicely under the seat easy to see and replace
    yest.they are in a terrible location

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12