IGNORED

1984 Yamaha Venture ????

Poncho26

Hi everyone!

i just have a couple questions about this venture that i will be picking up this next weekend

first is if by the pictures can anyone tell what king of venture this is? for example base,venture or royale

i bought it for $250 only "problem" is all the fairings are off the bike is there also a detailed post or video of how to put the fairings back on the bike?

Thank you very much to all of you in advance.

ps:I'm sorry guys can't figure out how to upload pictures here's a link

20170829_191325

20170829_191333

20170829_191338

Edited by Poncho26

The Royale had the radio, CB and intercom system. In '84 it may have had the CLASS air suspension(on board compressor and control) too, not sure on that.

Pics to be sure, would help.

I'm sorry so there is only 2 models for the 84' Venture and Venture Royale?

Welcome!

I think you probably have a base Venture. While most of the Royale features are visible in the panels that are removed I do not see an amplifier to the left of the air box which a Royale should have, nor the mass of wires that go to it. If you've got a hefty bronze colored steel box in your parts pile I might be wrong.

I'm not aware of an assembly tutorial, and most times I do mine I have to back track because I forgot something. Here's my best recollection of a sequence that will work.:

1) Right and left fairing halves (the pieces that the turn signals mount into.

2) Fairing lower legs.

3) Chrome bezels beside radiator.

4) Cowl uppers (they are black and have vents in them.

5) Mirrors.

6) Headlight bezel.

8) Windshield.

9) Chrome trim at base of windshield

10) Chin piece that connects the two fairing halves above the fender (this can actually be done anytime after #1 )

11) Scoop ahead of oil filter if your motorcycle has one. The 84 might not.

The Royale had the radio, CB and intercom system. In '84 it may have had the CLASS air suspension(on board compressor and control) too, not sure on that.

Pics to be sure, would help.

Welcome!

I think you probably have a base Venture. While most of the Royale features are visible in the panels that are removed I do not see an amplifier to the left of the air box which a Royale should have, nor the mass of wires that go to it. If you've got a hefty bronze colored steel box in your parts pile I might be wrong.

I'm not aware of an assembly tutorial, and most times I do mine I have to back track because I forgot something. Here's my best recollection of a sequence that will work.:

1) Right and left fairing halves (the pieces that the turn signals mount into.

2) Fairing lower legs.

3) Chrome bezels beside radiator.

4) Cowl uppers (they are black and have vents in them.

5) Mirrors.

6) Headlight bezel.

8) Windshield.

9) Chrome trim at base of windshield

10) Chin piece that connects the two fairing halves above the fender (this can actually be done anytime after #1 )

11) Scoop ahead of oil filter if your motorcycle has one. The 84 might not.

Oh man! thank you very much for your answer that should be very helpful to me. what i know for sure is that the bike has radio i did not took a good look at the rest of the stuff there is a big ass antenna next to the trunk .

So if this one has an oem radio it should also have the class system?

Looking at the parts fiche it appears that the Royale should have a CLASS system. Also looking at the fiche it appears that radio and CB were options on the base Venture.

The base motorcycle will have Schrader valves to air the forks and rear shocks. Not sure exactly where they'll be though because my '89 is a Royale. I think the front will be somewhere near the ignition switch and the rear might be near the passenger foot rest. Is that a Schrader valve I see to the left of the ignition switch in your first picture?

Looking at the parts fiche it appears that the Royale should have a CLASS system. Also looking at the fiche it appears that radio and CB were options on the base Venture.

The base motorcycle will have Schrader valves to air the forks and rear shocks. Not sure exactly where they'll be though because my '89 is a Royale. I think the front will be somewhere near the ignition switch and the rear might be near the passenger foot rest. Is that a Schrader valve I see to the left of the ignition switch in your first picture?

I'm not sure i will bring the bike this weekend i'll keep you posted.

my main worries is putting it back together without causing a short or something like that the guy is going to give me a bucket with all the screws mixed up ,fairing and trunk i won't know which screw goes where and stuff like that.

Would the royal have the controls for the radio up on the left handlebar?

What you are seeing next to the ignition switch is not the schrader valve, that is a bleeder for the left front brake.

The front schrader valve for putting air in the shocks would be near the right side of the lower triple tree.

The rear schrader valve is located above the right passenger footrest.

I have a standard so I am not sure where all the extras are.

When you look at the plastic it will either have Venture badges or Venture Royal badges

My very first MK1 1st Gen was a true 84 Royale purchased in 1987 and, out of the 6 of the 1st Gen MK1's I have owned since, the only Royale I have had.. Please consider this while I travel back in my remaining memory and make comment from those mems..

My Royale had a different Computerized Monitor up on the dash board - there was a "gear counter" on it's monitor. The monitor I see is duplicate of my other 5 1st Gens = no gear counter = Standard.

There was a totem pole of switches on the left handlebar perch above the clutch/blinker/horn controls for control of the audio system and cruise control switches on right side,, = not seen in your pics = Standard. Yours does show a friction cruise (have one on both my current 1st Gen and on my R1) and this is not OEM Cruise on a Royale.

I think the fork schrader to the left of the key switch in the pic is typical of all MK1's but not sure,, I know all my Standards have this to put air in forks but my Royale may have had it too in order to adjust them without using the class system...

Now lets see if one of the real 1s Gen guru's around here can step in and correct my error(s) LOL..

What you are seeing next to the ignition switch is not the schrader valve, that is a bleeder for the left front brake.

The front schrader valve for putting air in the shocks would be near the right side of the lower triple tree.

The MkI's did not have the brake bleeder in the head area, or so I have been told.

You are welcome Ponch, and thanks for the compliments on the vids - glad to hear someone out there enjoys em!!

What?? Puc puts up vids? Who'd of thought?:sun:

OK, the bike is not an '84..... The '84's were the only year that had a rotating choke lever in front of the left grip. This one has the choke slide. Probably an early '83 or '85?? It is a MKI due to the internally vented rotors...

Edited by Condor

OK, the bike is not an '84..... The '84's were the only year that had a rotating choke lever in front of the left grip. This one has the choke slide. Probably an early '83 or '85?? It is a MKI due to the internally vented rotors...

Wow! That's quite a catch.

I'm not sure how the Japanese stuck to specific year models. For instance my first bike was a new 71 Honda CB350 bought in Feb of 71.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1970+Honda+cb350+photos&oq=1970+Honda+cb350+photos&aqs=chrome..69i57.15388j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

However, a short time later they were selling 71 Honda CB350s that looked like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1971+honda+cb350+photos&tbm=isch&imgil=EpB3D1AcbL9YPM%253A%253B667yeeDgQ227WM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Farchive.classic-motorbikes.net%25252Fgallery~cb350-gallery&source=iu&pf=m&fir=EpB3D1AcbL9YPM%253A%252C667yeeDgQ227WM%252C_&usg=__UAT6FfXc3ULf46cPyog9vqRtE0o%3D&biw=1067&bih=513&ved=0ahUKEwizg_auyILWAhXM7SYKHc6ZDq8QyjcIQQ&ei=lJOoWbPpAczbmwHOs7r4Cg#imgrc=EpB3D1AcbL9YPM:

Note the second one has a rounded tank instead of the flat sided tank and the engine was redlined at 9,500 rpm instead of 10,500 rpm. Maybe Honda was just going on the calendar year at that time for titles.

I'm not sure how the Japanese stuck to specific year models. For instance my first bike was a new 71 Honda CB350 bought in Feb of 71.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1970+Honda+cb350+photos&oq=1970+Honda+cb350+photos&aqs=chrome..69i57.15388j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

However, a short time later they were selling 71 Honda CB350s that looked like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1971+honda+cb350+photos&tbm=isch&imgil=EpB3D1AcbL9YPM%253A%253B667yeeDgQ227WM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Farchive.classic-motorbikes.net%25252Fgallery~cb350-gallery&source=iu&pf=m&fir=EpB3D1AcbL9YPM%253A%252C667yeeDgQ227WM%252C_&usg=__UAT6FfXc3ULf46cPyog9vqRtE0o%3D&biw=1067&bih=513&ved=0ahUKEwizg_auyILWAhXM7SYKHc6ZDq8QyjcIQQ&ei=lJOoWbPpAczbmwHOs7r4Cg#imgrc=EpB3D1AcbL9YPM:

Note the second one has a rounded tank instead of the flat sided tank and the engine was redlined at 9,500 rpm instead of 10,500 rpm. Maybe Honda was just going on the calendar year at that time for titles.

There's a reason that the old Honda parts fiches are organized by model/SN instead of year.

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone!

i just have a couple questions about this venture that i will be picking up this next weekend

first is if by the pictures can anyone tell what king of venture this is? for example base,venture or royale

i bought it for $250 only "problem" is all the fairings are off the bike is there also a detailed post or video of how to put the fairings back on the bike?

Thank you very much to all of you in advance.

ps:I'm sorry guys can't figure out how to upload pictures here's a link

20170829_191325

20170829_191333

20170829_191338

So what I see in looking over your Venture is that it is probably a Standard without radios. I do see a manual fill valve up by your ignition switch so that tells me there is no class system,so therefore no Royale.

• 5 months later...

My Venture has been left at our Reno home for several years. And the times I had trouble "reversing" was hundreds of miles from SF. I try NOT to ride bikes in cities such as SF when there's a choice to use a car. And my legs have always been fairly strong too, because I do a lot of hiking. IMAO, all large touring bikes should have a reverse, even if it will only go a half MPH.

They should also have a very large gas tank! My Venture has neither but heck, it only cost me $4,000.00 when new in 1984. The Yamaha dealer here in SF was moving and they want to sell the bikes at a loss instead of moving them all. I went in to buy a face shield for my helmet and they still had one Venture left! How could I refuse that deal?