IGNORED

Debaffling a royal star

Has any one done it? How does it sound ? Would you need to rejet? I have a 1997 royal star deluxe that I'm thinking about debaffling unless people tell me it is a big mistake. Is it like a Harley and you just take a hole saw and drill a hole and pull the baffle out or is it more involved? Any input is welcome pros and cons . Thanks

Has any one done it? How does it sound ? Would you need to rejet? I have a 1997 royal star deluxe that I'm thinking about debaffling unless people tell me it is a big mistake. Is it like a Harley and you just take a hole saw and drill a hole and pull the baffle out or is it more involved? Any input is welcome pros and cons . Thanks

I've never dealt with a RS exhaust before, but have rebuilt a couple of others. If the tips are removable by a screw or rivet and can be removed, it's just a matter of removing the tip and pulling the baffles out. IF... the tips are welded the only thing you can do to make them louder is drill a couple of holes in the rear plate. You're not going to get a big increase in DB's but it will give you a bit more rumble... In the RSV's and the VR's the exhaust's are a three chamber configuration which in effect makes them a longer chamber. I would think the RS's would be made that way as well. Drilling may be your only option other than finding some NOS after markets, or finding a set of Harley take-offs that will work. I tried to find a few pics of a '97 on the web and the exhaust configurations are all over the place.....

I was wondering if you took a hole saw and cut a big enough hole if it would pull out.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110165this is a picture of my exhaust

My opinion...and 2¢... Find a set of Harley's. Attached in a set of pre sand blaster baffles. The flange on these are as big as the I.D. of the exhaust body. Getting that thing out of the tube would be nearly impossible without cutting the entire tip off. If you want loud there are a few Harley exhaust's that are just plain nasty. I know. I put a set of free-be's from the harley dealer and I thought I'd get a nice rumble with the '04RSMV. Holy sweet Jesus they sounded like a AA Fuel dragster coming off the line in the quarter mile... I have found a set of turn downs that I'll be swapping out this fall sometime. I'll be passing them on to another member when I do...

Picture (Medium).jpg

I was wondering if you took a hole saw and cut a big enough hole if it would pull out.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110165this is a picture of my exhaust
Yes that will work. You can cut the rear baffle plate and remove the rear section. No need to rejet and will be a lot louder. Not as nice a note as good aftermarket mufflers but will be louder. Was done to mine by a previous owner on my 98 RSTD and my 99 RSV. I have fishtails on the RSV now.813bbb42526e0da0bead5a38fc59413c.jpg86167bc9d9857ef625786535739cce2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes that will work. You can cut the rear baffle plate and remove the rear section. No need to rejet and will be a lot louder. Not as nice a note as good aftermarket mufflers but will be louder. Was done to mine by a previous owner on my 98 RSTD and my 99 RSV. I have fishtails on the RSV now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170826/813bbb42526e0da0bead5a38fc59413c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170826/86167bc9d9857ef625786535739cce2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help

• 5 weeks later...

I did that very thing to my stockers on '06. There are 3 a little harder than just a hole saw tho.. If I had stopped at 2 i probably would have been ok. Just remember you cannot put the stock tips back on...I liked the look of the stock muffs but they got way to loud for me. I put together homemade baffles with wire mesh and packing but couldnt get them to stay together. I wound up buying a set of LA choppers for RSTD then pulled the baffle and wrapped 1 layer of packing and reinstalling...I love its tone but you will need to do some carb work afterwards.

So what easy options are there for a 05 RSTD as far as exhaust? In easy options I mean just slip the stock exhaust ends off and insert the new loud exhaust on with no rejetting.

I have read threads here and on some other sites for RS and RSV that you can remove the first 2 baffle plates w/o jetting...I cannot say for sure because I completely gutted my stocks and I had to change the pilots. So not being a true bike tech, I went up one size on the mains and the pilots. That may not have been necessary in hind sight. I may have been fine by doing only the pilots..

I will say If you remove the rear cone, then drill first plate with 2-3/4 hole saw and work out a tube by wobbling around til the welds broke. I used a heavy dowel. You might like the tone you get. If not then you can buy a drill extension and punch a few holes in the second plate... But from that point some carb will need to be done...likely. I went all the way to removing the third plate so my pipes were completely open. Now there is a resonator built in at that level..between third plate and inlet, but it will only stop the pipes from ringing.... From my stand point now, I would recommend you just break down and buy some pipes. I wound up with LA Choppers and I put one wrap of insulation around the baffles.. Deep throaty tone w/o headache levels.. You might even try just removing the cone and drill 4 or 5, 1/2" holes in the first plate. That too, made a pretty decent tone. Probably wouldn't have to do any other work.. But you are gonna loose the tips, if you dig that look..

Where are are you located? I have a set that's had the baffling cut out you can have if you want them.

• 1 year later...
Where are are you located? I have a set that's had the baffling cut out you can have if you want them.

Hey Buddy if you still have those pipes I would love to have them. I am in Virginia and would pay for the shipping. I have a beautiful 1999 Yamaha Venture royal Star 1300. I have drilled some holes in it, OK sounded slightly better, I have cut ALL the surrounding metal holding the end cap in and still cannot get the baffle out. SO I read and read and read and watched and watched videos and what others are doing is just, well, sissy stuff. I was going to buy the LA Choppers slip ons, I saw a video and they sounded great but I really do not want to pay $400 I really LOVE the way the bike sounds without ANY exhaust but know I need some back pressure and I really like the way the pipes look on the bike, the chrome I love, love, love. If I could gut the whole thing without hurting the chrome I would but not sure how to do all that. Anyway, If you still have those pipes and want them to go to a good home please contact me, at andradeinva@gmail.com or 540-325-5595

I am the Road Captain for Faith riders motorcycle ministry and I do A LOT of road blocking and then I have to pass all the Harley's to get back to the front of the "pack" their biggest complaint to me is "We cannot hear you", "why don't you make some noise or buy a Harley?" LOL I wish I had stupid money to spend on bike stuff but I do not. I even bought a siren and I mount it on the bike over the brake master cylinder so I can turn it on while I am passing them. It works OK, But I would rather be Heard through my pipes.

The many many benefits that we do are for things like http://www.jillshouse.org/ and Rattle the Runway as well as Rolling Thunder and http://www.bouldercrestretreat.org/. I am a big part of these rides and people depend on me doing what I LOVE to do and DO every year. So, please if you have them please shoot me an email or text or call if you still have them and we can go from there. I would love to chat with you either way in case I have to break the ones out of mine.

Here is a picture of my bike..

Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,

Jaime Jon Andrade

Bike 4.jpg

Jaime,

Welcome to the Forum! Don't hold your breath on free mufflers from a 1 year old post, but you never know. Adding OE take off Harley Road King mufflers is a popular mod, louder than stock, not obnoxious, and they can typically be had cheap or free. Be sure to get the Road King or FL mufflers with out the cat inside. You will need a set of wide clamps. Multiple threads on this but here is a more recent one: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?138751-HD-RK-mufflers-on-RSV

Since you have a Royal Star Venture, more discussion of interest to you in the Royal Star Venture specific forum (linked with the HD muffler discussion). This forum is primarily the 05-09 Royal Star Tour Deluxe and early V4 Royal Stars 96-04 (not Ventures)

rstddog

Edited by RSTDdog

• 1 year later...

New Royal Star owner here. I've drilled out the ends with a hole saw and would like any assistance/tips on removing the baffles that won't budge ;-)

2005 XVZ1300T Royal Star Venture

James

DFW Texas