IGNORED

PLEASE! Tell me we aren't losing the desire to ride!

BigLenny

VR Friends,

I need you folks to talk me off the ledge, or let me know we're perfectly normal.

For a few months now, my wife and i have been planning to do a western bike ride for the first week of September. We usually do a 2 weeker, but we have planned to not be gone that long. Leave out on a Friday, and be back on the Saturday night, 9 days later. We have been talking about it a lot, and have been excited to get on the bike and make it happen. We live in Little Rock, Arkansas, and we're planning on heading out and and making a quick run out west to Northern New Mexico, Colorado, Eastern Utah, and the north eastern corner of Arizona. We did this area on a 2 week ride back in 2012, and have been wanting to go back and do some different roads. I actually have the bike pretty close to being prepared to go. We did a bike ride all the way down to Key West earlier this year, back in March, but we're chomping at the bits to take another 2500-3000 mile ride.

Teresa and I have been working a crazy amount of hours this year. I have a new sales territory that has been extremely taxing to learn all the new contacts, and how they run their businesses, with a ton of travel to boot. She works for Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield, and she has been putting in 60hour weeks getting a new contracts division off the ground and running. It has been a crazy stressful year for us both. so, we have been looking forward to getting away on the bike and decompressing again.

That is, until tonight...........

We were eating dinner tonight, and the subject of the trip came up, and for some reason, we started talking about if we really wanted to completely relax on the trip, I mean totally relax, the bike isn't really what you can totally relax on. To do that, we reasoned, we would need to take her new car we bought her a month or so ago. We bought her a fully loaded 2017 Platinum trim Nissan Murano a few weeks ago, and it is a mac daddy loaded thing with heated and air conditioned leather seats, all of the fancy shmancy bells and whistles, such as a full length of the vehicle sunroof, adaptive cruise, blah, blah, blah, everything you can get. It is one comfortable and beautiful machine. The conversation continued about how if she saw a painting or something she wanted to buy while we are in Santa Fe, she could do that if we were in the Murano. And how she could kick back with her shoes off while we travel and read a book, while sipping on a drink, or study the bible like she likes to do. Or, even take a nice long nap (not that she doesn't take cat naps while we're on the bike). We even talked how we could take nice clothes and go to a show, or out to an upscale restaurant while we're on the road. WHAAAAATTTTT?????!!!!! Are we going crazy?!. We've never ever planned a bike trip, and then started leaning toward taking the car! We know a bike trip is more physically challenging than riding in a car, and we love it! And we know all of the things we won't get to do because we're on the bike, but we've always been totally fine with it because being on the bike, experiencing the wind therapy, and being in, and seeing all of nature from the bikes view WAY over shadows all of the other stuff. Thats why we ride, for crying out loud. But, for some reason, tonight, it just sounded more relaxing to take the car. Maybe its because this year is starting to wear on us. We're just flat out tired. Riding in the new car, wearing relaxing clothes and shoes, music playing, sipping on a soft drink, having a good conversation. Man that thought was turning us on tonight. I feel like a traitor to ole Red (our RSTD), who's sitting out in the garage ready to carry us.

So, lets hear it. Are we going crazy? Or, are there some of you out there that feels that sometimes, it's okay to park the bike and take the 4 wheeler. I hate to give up a good bike trip. But, we're tired. LOL.

Your Friend

Big Lenny

Your not crazy at all. Fact is when we get taxed and stressed, exhausted we need to relax. After a rough month Im good for a shorter trip, and solo at that. Im working 24/7 from last week until end of this month. A 9 day bike trip might be more work than a 9 day ruise in the Lexus, or a 3 day bike ride. Your not crazy at all. Alls good. Take whatever vehicle you want and enjoy your new cage. Life is too short to have to justify anything. Long days in the saddle can be fatiguing, esp in hot weather. Yup, do whatever you want, its all great. I would have to think about a long bike trip after a rough work stint, I'm not 25 anymore. Have a blast and stay safe regardless of ride.

I understand perfectly and riding has been my passion since age 14. Just enjoy your time with your wife and the scenery. Peace my fellow rider!

Big Lenny, The decision is yours, but I would say do what makes you feel best. You will have a great time either way. We have done the Southwest out of Denver and Northwest/Canada out of Seattle with rental cars. Had great times! Must admit I always regretted not having our trike whenever I saw motorcycles.

My wife cannot travel far on our trike, so she went to visit her sister in June, while I made my western adventure in June/July, 9,202 miles, 38 days, 25 states. I was in my glory! So happy I made this trip while physically able.

You will have a great time whichever way you choose. If you are both tired and want to enjoy your new car, then use your car. It's all about what satisfies you folks the most!

Have a great time!

Big Lenny, for me No! you're not going crazy. My wife & I often find that it's "easier" no.... more convenient to take the car & not the bike & for many of the identical reasons you've quoted, plus in our case we both suffer with back & neck problems following a 2013 MVA when we were rear ended. Taking the bike will often exacerbate our aches & pains (we're not spring chickens either!).

It is nice to just throw in the car what you think you may need & then a spare one just in case. It's good not to have to reason out everywhere you want to go & everything you want to do. Sure the bike can be fun & we do enjoy it but there are times when we take the car & I hate to admit it but those times are becoming more often. I do sometimes wonder why I have the bikes (a 900 Vulcan & the RSTD) pay the ridiculous insurance rates etc. But that's more about costs than desire. I will always I think enjoy riding the bike but may not always want to do so.

I think we both feel a little less stressed when we take the car & don't worry quite so much about breakdowns (or worse).

We can't all be Pucsters! (No offense Puc) sounds like you've both been quite stressed recently, obviously the decision is yours but fwiw maybe take the car & feel more "relaxed" the bike will be there & will wait till another less stressful time!

All the best friend, whatever you decide I hope you & your wife have a fabulous time.

My nephew from the UK is currently touring around LA, SF, Yosemite, Bryce canyon, ET Highway, Death Valley & environs & is thoroughly enjoying every minute. Take care & enjoy your together time & holiday!

Edited by Kretz

Easy does it Lenny,,, reach back carefully and hand me your shirt sleeve,,,, now grab this throttle cable while your scoot tightens the slack and gently tugs you back to reality.... Phew,,, THAT was close....

Got it?? Ya ok now??? Here,, take a sip of the 20/50 Supertech and relax while ol Puc tells ya a story...

Right along the trail way you are talking about traveling with your lovely bride lies one of the most delicious bike routes known to man.. Just south of Flagstaff (aka Flag) Arizona is an old pathway thru the canyons known as 89A - ya jump on that toward the end of the day cause ya don't wanna be caught in the high desert at night sleepin in a tent = then ya gotta wait till after 10 for things to warm up in the a.m. and no real man wants to treat his lady like that - or his ride partner either (I have found that both my bike and my wife love early morning CTFW).. Enjoy the evening ride down the canyons, the ponderosa pine smells in the evenings are intoxicating and the warm cross winds off the high desert canyon walls serve as almost a small turbo boost of pressure on the nostrils with just enough push to make a person not have to strain to sense the perfect odors against their own breathing - it's just a natural part of motorcycling and NOTHING is as fulfulling as sharing the moment with your best friend.. Before you cross out of the Pine region in the endless beauty of the canyons right at the bottom of the foothills - pull over and drop the tent for the night..

The ick-spressway (I think its I-17 or 15 or something like that) where people stressed out with trying to get home from work and traveling in their cages will be traveling - will be far enough away from you folks that even the pointless drones of the occasional Semi wont be heard - only the tap of the lonely woodpecker diggin a bug out of the side of that great big beautiful Ponderosa and the sounds of wind sneaking thru the Pine Boughs will be your company till the two of you drift off.. When you wake up,, toss on a couple of those old sweat shirts you rolled up and stuck in the Clothing Department (trunk on our bike) - roll up the tent and finish CTFW down into Sedona,, oh my gosh,, SEDONA two up on a motorcycle just in time for breakfast :scared:... When your done cramming food in so your bellys quit complaining (by this time in your trip will have long sense discovered that eating is wayyyyy over rated - with all that endless beauty out there and very little time to explore it - eating almost becomes a necessary nuisance) and after exploring the endless cake like sweet beauty that Sedona offers - put the icing on that cake by scooting back out to 89a and finding your way down south and upward to the sleepy lil mountain town of Jerome....

OUCH,, ok Tip,,, ok,, I will stop,, this is totally wrong what da heck - Lenny asked me to do it,,, sorry Lenny,,, didnt mean to :stirthepot:,, Tip says I,,, I mean I really gotta apologize brother... You folks need to ride your ride (seriously here) no matter what that is,, if its cagin dont matter,, riding mopeds - dont matter,, hiking thru the mountains - dont matter,, the key is = using up your precious hours together as the two of you see fit - to that cause I bid you both NOTHING BUT THE FINEST VACATION POSSIBLE MY FRIEND - WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE FOR THE MODE OF TRANSPORTATION IN DOING SO!!:thumbsup:

Puc

P.S. = THANK YOU!! Your question here reminded me that I gotta get back to finishing my summer ride story on You Tube - that older grandson of mine out in California is gonna think his grandpa forgot about him (he LOVES watching those vids),, THANKS BRO!!

Edited by cowpuc

Robin and I have the same concerns, so we purchased an aluminum trailer and will be trailering the trike to a location we want to ride. We love riding but the body, not so much anymore. we can ride a few hours than back to the hotel to kick back and rest or drive the truck when not up to riding. Robin like it because she has room for more stuff.

Lenny use what ever mode of transportation you want. It is all good. Work is stressful and we all need to relax some. I have been on some trips for 8 or 9 days and by the time we got home we were bone tired and had to go to work to rest. Enjoy your trip that is the main thing.

Hey Friends,

Thanks for the responses so far! It's helping me start to realize that we aren't quite as crazy as we thought we were. The trailering idea might be something i consider. WE could trailer to Santa Fe, then let the boss shop all she wants at the different establishments of shops and art galleries, then park the truck and trailer and head north on the wild blue yonder for 4-5 days. Then, when we get back to the truck and trailer, we could enjoy the fact that we have a nice vehicle to ride the couple days back home. Hmmmm. That might be something to consider strongly. Hmmmm.....

Easy does it Lenny,,, reach back carefully and hand me your shirt sleeve,,,, now grab this throttle cable while your scoot tightens the slack and gently tugs you back to reality.... Phew,,, THAT was close....

Got it?? Ya ok now??? Here,, take a sip of the 20/50 Supertech and relax while ol Puc tells ya a story...

Right along the trail way you are talking about traveling with your lovely bride lies one of the most delicious bike routes known to man.. Just south of Flagstaff (aka Flag) Arizona is an old pathway thru the canyons known as 89A - ya jump on that toward the end of the day cause ya don't wanna be caught in the high desert at night sleepin in a tent = then ya gotta wait till after 10 for things to warm up in the a.m. and no real man wants to treat his lady like that - or his ride partner either (I have found that both my bike and my wife love early morning CTFW).. Enjoy the evening ride down the canyons, the ponderosa pine smells in the evenings are intoxicating and the warm cross winds off the high desert canyon walls serve as almost a small turbo boost of pressure on the nostrils with just enough push to make a person not have to strain to sense the perfect odors against their own breathing - it's just a natural part of motorcycling and NOTHING is as fulfulling as sharing the moment with your best friend.. Before you cross out of the Pine region in the endless beauty of the canyons right at the bottom of the foothills - pull over and drop the tent for the night..

The ick-spressway (I think its I-17 or 15 or something like that) where people stressed out with trying to get home from work and traveling in their cages will be traveling - will be far enough away from you folks that even the pointless drones of the occasional Semi wont be heard - only the tap of the lonely woodpecker diggin a bug out of the side of that great big beautiful Ponderosa and the sounds of wind sneaking thru the Pine Boughs will be your company till the two of you drift off.. When you wake up,, toss on a couple of those old sweat shirts you rolled up and stuck in the Clothing Department (trunk on our bike) - roll up the tent and finish CTFW down into Sedona,, oh my gosh,, SEDONA two up on a motorcycle just in time for breakfast :scared:... When your done cramming food in so your bellys quit complaining (by this time in your trip will have long sense discovered that eating is wayyyyy over rated - with all that endless beauty out there and very little time to explore it - eating almost becomes a necessary nuisance) and after exploring the endless cake like sweet beauty that Sedona offers - put the icing on that cake by scooting back out to 89a and finding your way down south and upward to the sleepy lil mountain town of Jerome....

OUCH,, ok Tip,,, ok,, I will stop,, this is totally wrong what da heck - Lenny asked me to do it,,, sorry Lenny,,, didnt mean to :stirthepot:,, Tip says I,,, I mean I really gotta apologize brother... You folks need to ride your ride (seriously here) no matter what that is,, if its cagin dont matter,, riding mopeds - dont matter,, hiking thru the mountains - dont matter,, the key is = using up your precious hours together as the two of you see fit - to that cause I bid you both NOTHING BUT THE FINEST VACATION POSSIBLE MY FRIEND - WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE FOR THE MODE OF TRANSPORTATION IN DOING SO!!:thumbsup:

Puc

P.S. = THANK YOU!! Your question here reminded me that I gotta get back to finishing my summer ride story on You Tube - that older grandson of mine out in California is gonna think his grandpa forgot about him (he LOVES watching those vids),, THANKS BRO!!

Now, see there Puc? See what ya did?

Ya went and brought back some of our favorite memories from our 2012 western bike ride. Our next to last day on the road during that trip, before we headed back east to Arkansas, we were in Flagstaff. We had spent the previous day at the Grand Canyon, and had stopped at Flagstaff to spend the night before heading back east on I-40 to home. The next morning, the Holy Spirit (LOL), or some other voice rattling around in my head, mentioned to me in a still small voice, "you know what? you could run down that 89A highway to Sedona before you head back home. I know you need to get back to Arkansas, but you've never been to Sedona before, and you might as well run down there and see what all the hoopla is about". Yep, Puc, that's exactly what I remember the voice saying to me that morning. So, for some reason, I obeyed the voice, and I turned Red's front wheel south and off we went. We found our way to 89A, and.......O-M-G!!!! What a wonderful experience! we wound up staying in Sedona a couple days in a rustic little vacation house, and rode the area in complete awwww. We made the trip up to Jerome, grabbed a bite at great little cafe, and bought some stuff at the shops, including a Jerome t-shirt I was wearing just this past weekend. LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! The only regret I have is, we should've ridden past Jerome, over the mountain, and down to Prescott. Didn't have the time to do that.

You're a memory bringer backer, Puc. Thats what you are.

Big Lenny

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, Where do I begin?

Right after my last post on this thread, injured my shoulder by falling into a ditch while weed trimming on our property. I had injured this shoulder about a year ago, and it has a torn rotator cuff that I have been nursing since. Well, this most recent fall damaged it to the point I spent a week dragging it around, and could hardly raise it. due to this, I moved our western trip from the first week of September to last week, AND, I made the decision to take Teresa'a new Murano, rather than fiddle with all of the stuff it takes to go on the bike. This, my friends, was the absolutely correct decision.

I hate to admit this, because we love riding the bike, but, riding in the Murano made this vacation one of the most enjoyable road trips my wife and I have ever taken. Did we miss the bike? You betcha! But, in the shape that I was in, the Murano wound up being soooooooo comfortable, and we just flat out enjoyed being relaxed for miles and miles. And, don't even get me started on how much I enjoyed that new fangled feature called Adaptive Cruise. God, I loved that feature!!! I'll never buy another vehicle without it.

Even though we missed CTFW'ing, we sure enjoyed FTFT's (Following The Front Tires). LOL.

Anywho, After I get all of the pics downloaded, I'll follow this up by posting a trip report.

Oh, BTW, We saw a boat load of bikes while taking our Tour de Colorado, and by far the brand we saw the most was BMW. Not even close to any other brand. Everytime I turned around, I saw a Beemer of some sort. Mainly GS's, but a lotta R1200RT's.

Big Lenny

4 wheeled vehicle have their place. Shoulders HURT! Sorry to hear about the 2nd fall.

My cousin who owns BMW Motorcycles of Omaha says new sales have nose-dived this year. He's got lots work in his service dept. though. What's the appeal of an undependable, expensive bike anyway? He called my 83 "The Beast" when they spooned a new rear tire for me. SNOBS!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 wheeled vehicle have their place. Shoulders HURT! Sorry to hear about the 2nd fall.

My cousin who owns BMW Motorcycles of Omaha says new sales have nose-dived this year. He's got lots work in his service dept. though. What's the appeal of an undependable, expensive bike anyway? He called my 83 "The Beast" when they spooned a new rear tire for me. SNOBS!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have to agree with Snyper Calling it "The Beast" is a compliment. Dealers do not like vehicles that last 30 plus years. Especially if it is a brand they do not sell and their brand does not last 30+ years.

I have to agree with Snyper Calling it "The Beast" is a compliment. Dealers do not like vehicles that last 30 plus years. Especially if it is a brand they do not sell and their brand does not last 30+ years.
Ok I wasn't even thinking of dealers but there momma says the venture is the devil!!!

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Now, see there Puc? See what ya did?

Ya went and brought back some of our favorite memories from our 2012 western bike ride. Our next to last day on the road during that trip, before we headed back east to Arkansas, we were in Flagstaff. We had spent the previous day at the Grand Canyon, and had stopped at Flagstaff to spend the night before heading back east on I-40 to home. The next morning, the Holy Spirit (LOL), or some other voice rattling around in my head, mentioned to me in a still small voice, "you know what? you could run down that 89A highway to Sedona before you head back home. I know you need to get back to Arkansas, but you've never been to Sedona before, and you might as well run down there and see what all the hoopla is about". Yep, Puc, that's exactly what I remember the voice saying to me that morning. So, for some reason, I obeyed the voice, and I turned Red's front wheel south and off we went. We found our way to 89A, and.......O-M-G!!!! What a wonderful experience! we wound up staying in Sedona a couple days in a rustic little vacation house, and rode the area in complete awwww. We made the trip up to Jerome, grabbed a bite at great little cafe, and bought some stuff at the shops, including a Jerome t-shirt I was wearing just this past weekend. LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! The only regret I have is, we should've ridden past Jerome, over the mountain, and down to Prescott. Didn't have the time to do that.

You're a memory bringer backer, Puc. Thats what you are.

Big Lenny

Yes Big Lenny you should have gone to Prescott. Awesome and old timey similar to Jerome but bigger. Sedona is cool but very commercialized. Heck they got a Wallyworld.

:farmer: