IGNORED

Jardine pipes on '96 RS-"oh my achin' ears" HELP!

Hi guys, its been a while since I reached out for some help. :think::confused:

I picked up a '96 Royal Star that was in need of a new home :confused24:(that's what I told Ken):whistling:. It was a mess and had been left out in the weather.:rain2: What was under the dirt, dust and cob webs was a bike that someone sunk a bunch of money:mo money: into. :happy65:Through the Delphi Forum site I was able to identify the pipes (4) that one of the previous owners put on it. They are Jardine slip on turn out exhaust and these puppies are loud;:doh: I like stock pipes. :cool:

First Question: Is there any way to quiet these pipes down enough that I won't have to change them out?:confused07:

Second Question: is there anyone out there that might want to trade or sell stock pipes in good shape?:think:

Side note: I figured bringing home another motorcycle was better than bringing home a puppy:178: that might keep my husband up all night. :amen:

I do believe Road King pipes fit with very little modification, probably other HD models too. They are said to be only marginally louder than stock and I see them all over CL for $10-$25. Im not familiar with the pipes you have but betting significantly quieter is probably not a thing. Ill bet those could sell on Eby for a fir bit more than HD or stock pipes. Good luck.

Looks like I found a guy who is willing to swap two of the 4 pipes on my '96 for stock pipes on his 97. The question is this: are the pipes for a two to one system the same as the one to one system on the '96? I'll be looking for two more stock pipes after this! :banana: then I'll be set!

Looks like I found a guy who is willing to swap two of the 4 pipes on my '96 for stock pipes on his 97. The question is this: are the pipes for a two to one system the same as the one to one system on the '96? I'll be looking for two more stock pipes after this! :banana: then I'll be set!
They are not the same. My 98 Royal Star Tour Deluxe has mufflers that look the same as my 99 Venture but the Venture cans are slip on whereas the RSTD are not slip on, they are fixed to the header pipes. These cans are also longer than the 4-4 RS ones.7f62490644ff2075ce80e45f72af97f7.jpg2b2f2398b72e8df03f3c4361ed1c3a74.jpg962fc4ec75fee9908eb9ec790d6b7daa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Man that is one "purty" bike! Ok, so yes I get that the Venture/RSTD pipes will not fit a Royal Star. Am I also understanding that the Royal Star 2 to 1 pipes and the 4 to 4 pipes are not interchangeable?
Thank you. The problem with interchangeable mufflers is in the different header pipes. This pic shows the OEM ones you need at the top. Middle pic shows the header pipe for RSV and later model RSTD - these allow for easy swapping of slip on mufflers.

The bottom pic shows the early RS and RSTD header/muffler unit. Its a complete unit not a slip on. To use slip on mufflers will require mods to header pipes and heat sheilds.9fd4123656574b09516d5de4eacff5b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Correct.

The 4 into 2 systems can be installed on bikes that came from the factory with 4 x 4 pipes, but you would need to buy or make support brackets for the mufflers. On the factory models that had 4 x 2 set ups the muffler cans hang on underside of the saddle bag stays. The mounting brackets for the Venture (99 to 2013) and Tour Deluxe (05 to 2010) are the same, but are different that the 4 x 2 found on original Royal Stars made from 1996 to 2001. I have been told that any year model 4 x 2 will fit on original Royals like your 96 , but I have never tried to fit a newer set to an older style bike.

Keep looking I am sure there is a set of factory 4 x 4 pipes somewhere; if not a set of saddlebags, stays and 4 x 2 mufflers from any of the models sporting that set up could be another solution.

If you have to pull the header pipes, do be careful, those nuts have been on for a long time and subject to many heat / cool cycles as well as rain and other moisture, they are sure to be well corroded, so apply some good rust penetrating oil before wrenching on them.

Thanks for ALL the help and education on this thread. :clap2:Yes it boiled down to looking up the pipes on the Yamaha site for the 4 to 4 vs the 2 to 1 exhaust set ups for the Royal Star and the part numbers are different. Along with the info provided by those who jumped on the thread I learned that the 4 to 4 are a "different" animal than the 2 to 1 and cannot be swapped out. Fabricating anything to make a different pipe fit is not up my alley and with that I'll continue my hunt for either 4 stock pipes or a 2 to 1 system for the '96. :thumbsup2:

(You guys are the best!:dancefool:)