IGNORED

97 royal star wine

I have a 1997 royal star delux that I'm looking and. The bike is in perfect condition and runs great. The only thing I noticed is that when your running down the road in gear and you ease back on the throttle it makes a kinda of a whinny noise. But only then . Not under power

I have a 1997 royal star delux that I'm looking and. The bike is in perfect condition and runs great. The only thing I noticed is that when your running down the road in gear and you ease back on the throttle it makes a kinda of a whinny noise. But only then . Not under power

Depends what gear your in but, if I remember correctly this is an issue with the 2nd Gens it does not effect it at all just have read where some are louder then others. I would definatly if i were to purchase it I would pull rear tire and grease everything up good with Poly Greese? and change out all fluids. That is just something I do no matter what I buy. Welcome!

Depends what gear your in but, if I remember correctly this is an issue with the 2nd Gens it does not effect it at all just have read where some are louder then others. I would definatly if i were to purchase it I would pull rear tire and grease everything up good with Poly Greese? and change out all fluids. That is just something I do no matter what I buy. Welcome!

Thanks for the reply. It's a 1997 and it does it in all gears but as I said only when I let off the throttle. I other words , taking the pressure off the drive shaft and coasting while still in gear. Even does it if I pull the clutch in so I'm sure it's drive shaft related. The Yamaha mechanic said that they did make some noise as a model bike. While under way with pressure on the shaft it is smooth and quite as a church mouse.

The whine comes from the gear mesh to the clutch basket, this is still spinning anytime the engine is running. There was a different clutch basket that can be installed and it did reduce the whine on SOME bikes not all. The whine is not a mechanical problem, the whiners last just as long as the quiet ones.

But you do want to check it out to be sure that what you have is the clutch whine, if the whine is coming from the rear end that could be indicating a problem back there.

The bottom line is if the whine bothers you then you will never be happy with the bike, if you can live with it knowing that it is just part of the normal sound that the bike makes, then you will love the bike.

The whine comes from the gear mesh to the clutch basket, this is still spinning anytime the engine is running. There was a different clutch basket that can be installed and it did reduce the whine on SOME bikes not all. The whine is not a mechanical problem, the whiners last just as long as the quiet ones.

But you do want to check it out to be sure that what you have is the clutch whine, if the whine is coming from the rear end that could be indicating a problem back there.

The bottom line is if the whine bothers you then you will never be happy with the bike, if you can live with it knowing that it is just part of the normal sound that the bike makes, then you will love the bike.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I did buy the bike. It just runs and feels to good riding it. As far as the whine I'm not real worried. I would be worried if it did it in power or all the time.

On another note has anyone taken the baffles out of one of these bikes? Can it be done ? Does it sound good? Any carb work afterwards?

Hi, I recently bought a '96 RS which have Jardine pipes on it (4 slip on pipes to be exact). I'm looking for stock pipes as these are too loud for me and I generally like the sound of the stock pipes on these V Fours. Would you be interested in doing a swap? I attached a photo of the pipes. Let me know either way, thanks!

RS pipes.jpg

Hi, I recently bought a '96 RS which have Jardine pipes on it (4 slip on pipes to be exact). I'm looking for stock pipes as these are too loud for me and I generally like the sound of the stock pipes on these V Fours. Would you be interested in doing a swap? I attached a photo of the pipes. Let me know either way, thanks!

Possibly. Is it possible for you to post or send me a video of the sound and complete exhaust system? Where are you located?

Yes, I will do a video and send it to your personal email. Please send me your address. I'm not real slick with sending videos through this site. Give me a day or two. I'm in California on the Oregon Border. How many pipes do you have on yours? I'll also send you close up photos of the pipes as well. No dents.