IGNORED

05 RSTD clutch issue when cold

Not sure if this is anything but I have owned my RSTD for 3 months now it has 19,000 miles and for the first time yesterday and today after the bike has been sitting all night in the garage, I start it up the next morning (Temp 78F) and roll out of the driveway then when I put it in gear and let out the clutch it kind of bucks like the clutch is slipping and I hear a clunk then as the clutch catches I take off and from then on everything seems fine and it can sit for a few hours and then when I start it up everything is good the rest of the day, its just been in the morning when first starting out, it has never done this before until the last couple of days......any thoughts?....Thanks

Hey Rave,,, aint never had the honor of owning an RSTD but when my tired ol 83's get like that it usually indicates the need for an oil change.. Something about the oil loosing viscisity and the discs in the clutch stickin together because of it and it having that early morning 1st ride attitude ..

Another possibility could be a need for changing fluid/bleeding the hydraulic clutch. Could be ya just aint getting enough movement on the slave for the first pull in the a.m... Maybe try pumping the lever a few times first thing before ya drop er in gear and see what happens.. Come to think of it, I normally do that every morning on mine because I am as happy as a Robin pulling worms out of the fresh cut grass just to get to ride one of these V-4's again - maybe thats why I never really notice my clutches doing what your talking about :missingtooth:

Hey Rave,,, aint never had the honor of owning an RSTD but when my tired ol 83's get like that it usually indicates the need for an oil change.. Something about the oil loosing viscisity and the discs in the clutch stickin together because of it and it having that early morning 1st ride attitude ..

Another possibility could be a need for changing fluid/bleeding the hydraulic clutch. Could be ya just aint getting enough movement on the slave for the first pull in the a.m... Maybe try pumping the lever a few times first thing before ya drop er in gear and see what happens.. Come to think of it, I normally do that every morning on mine because I am as happy as a Robin pulling worms out of the fresh cut grass just to get to ride one of these V-4's again - maybe thats why I never really notice my clutches doing what your talking about :missingtooth:

Cowpuc: Thanks for the reply I changed the clutch fluid about a month ago and everything has been working great until yesterday and the oil was changed about the same time with Amsoil 20W40, just strange that it just started to do that plus hear a clunk as I am engaging the clutch before it shimmies then grabs and go then after that issue is gone, temps in the morning are pretty much the same as they have been all summer in the lower to upper 70's, this issue may be nothing but all I know is, it wasn't doing it a couple of days ago, I will try pumping the clutch lever a few times before starting off to see if that helps as you suggested.

First off, let’s hope it was just a onetime thing…. In colder weather, I have had my clutch plates to stick together (not release) when I pull the clutch in. When I would put it in gear I would get a clunk. The clunk was the clutch plates releasing. It wouldn’t happen again until the bike sets for several hours.

Not sure this what your bike is doing. It helped my bike whenI changed from 20w50 oil to 15w40 oil.

Earl

First off, let’s hope it was just a onetime thing…. In colder weather, I have had my clutch plates to stick together (not release) when I pull the clutch in. When I would put it in gear I would get a clunk. The clunk was the clutch plates releasing. It wouldn’t happen again until the bike sets for several hours.

Not sure this what your bike is doing. It helped my bike whenI changed from 20w50 oil to 15w40 oil.

Earl

Earl: It just started yesterday and the temps have been the same all summer in the morning and it has never happened before, guess I will try 10W40 next oil change if it persists, but will try pumping the clutch first thing when I start it up to see if that solves it.