IGNORED

I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Grins...ok!

Then I'm not seeing the gas problem. Of course, could be I'm not seeing it cause I'm only on first cup!

I know it's kinda hard to see. When the bike had no fuel pressure and I turned the pump on it started peeing gas like a stream in the air! Lol now the bike has some pressure built up from the other carbs and it only trickles out of that hole. I tried posting a video but it was too large

IMG_0924.jpg

Could this be because of the float not working? And the fuel level maxing out ??

really could use some help!!

I will say probabley. It reminds me of a situation I had early on with my 90 VR when on a trip. Was lost and tried using lots of spray carb cleaner which seemed to help a little but didn't stop it completely. Finally decided to put some Seafoam into the tank and finished the trip. Was just a day to get back home then had a look at it a few days later and there was no more problem. Didn't know about the heavy duty Seafoam treatment method or other additives at the time.

I will say probabley. It reminds me of a situation I had early on with my 90 VR when on a trip. Was lost and tried using lots of spray carb cleaner which seemed to help a little but didn't stop it completely. Finally decided to put some Seafoam into the tank and finished the trip. Was just a day to get back home then had a look at it a few days later and there was no more problem. Didn't know about the heavy duty Seafoam treatment method or other additives at the time.

These carbs were just rebuilt. Have about 5miles on them!

These carbs were just rebuilt. Have about 5miles on them!

Well, yea possibly. I kept saying that with mine too guess what it was a bad needle valve that caused me all kinds of problems on Carbs I thought were just rebuilt. I guess it is time to test my Carbs i rebuilt to see how well I did..

Yep,, stuck float, saturated float, piece of dirt in float needle/seat or the needle is toast.. Either way,,, fuel is continuing to fill the float bowl when it is suppose to be shut off and bingo - overflow... I have seen em so bad they will flow down stream thru the carb throat and fill a combustion chamber, contaminate a crankcase and even bend a rod if not taken care of.. Also possible to fill and exhaust system - even have raw fuel running out of header gaskets - having lots of gas soaking going on like that (all from a bad float valve) can be VERY dangerous..

The fix:

You can sometimes tap on the float bowl with a screw driver handle or wooden dowel and knock some sense into the float - not a bad idea to give it a try - sometimes a stuck float will just come unstuck and be fine.

You can drain the bowls and try tapping on em,,, works sometimes.

You can try draining the bowls and filling them with carb cleaner thru the drains with a syringe. I like to pull the slide when I do this (inspect those diaphrams while apart) so I can fill the bowls till I see cleaner coming out of the mains into the carb throat - then close the drains and let em soak - works great..

If your float valve needles are shot (got the ridge) there's not much more you can do besides rip er down and replace em...

On my first gens the over flows run down the back bone of the scoot and empty right in front of the mono.. I like to check those tubes and make sure they are not plugged.. I keep an eye on em for any form of overflow (watch for dampness) cause this is the first sign of float issues.. Not sure about the 2nd gen over flows.. Dont confuse these with the carb drains - on the 1st Gen the drain hoses are up above right under the covers for the slides/diaphrams..

Sorry about getting long winded,, its a flaw in my character,,,,, bottom line - DONT let that little overflow fool ya - it IS a crisis waiting to happen = FIX IT!!

OP,

Who rebuilt the carbs?

If the answer is not "Me"(or possible one of our members here) then you can bet corners were cut. I'd question if they even bothered to set the float levels.

Just my personal experience. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

OP,

Who rebuilt the carbs?

If the answer is not "Me"(or possible one of our members here) then you can bet corners were cut. I'd question if they even bothered to set the float levels.

Just my personal experience. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

I rebuilt the carbs a week and a half ago. Set the float with the 1" rule.

I rebuilt the carbs a week and a half ago. Set the float with the 1" rule.
How does this rule work. Fyi not me on carbs that are on my bike. When I set my levels on the carbs I did. I tried to make the circle visible with carbs upside down.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Well, yea possibly. I kept saying that with mine too guess what it was a bad needle valve that caused me all kinds of problems on Carbs I thought were just rebuilt. I guess it is time to test my Carbs i rebuilt to see how well I did..

5 miles and how much time? have had carbs gunk up sitting for a while on the shelf. I'd try a little seafood and run the beastie for a few miles and see if it goes away. There may be a little of varnish on a needle or seat.

5 miles and how much time? have had carbs gunk up sitting for a while on the shelf. I'd try a little seafood and run the beastie for a few miles and see if it goes away. There may be a little of varnish on a needle or seat.
I hope the ones that I finished in the spring didn't funk up on me that would suck they haven't had fuel in them yet... Well since being rebuilt

How does this rule work. Fyi not me on carbs that are on my bike. When I set my levels on the carbs I did. I tried to make the circle visible with carbs upside down.

There is a thread on here about setting floats at 1" measuring from the bottom of the bowl to the bottom of the float.

Did you check the levels with clear tubing? This is the only way to make sure the float valve is working. Setting the float to a measured setting is a good start and may be all needed if you're lucky. Setting them to a measured fuel level is the right way to do it. and will show you if a float is hanging or saturated or if the fill valve is not sealing up.

Problem is the vent tubing off the carb is plugged and holding air pocket in the carb and forcing the gas to "spring" out the air inlet jet. Does not let the float rise and pressures the gas up and out. Had the same problem on an 85 I was working on about 3 month ago and drove me nuts. Found the hose was plugged. You could first check by removing the vent hose and see if that fixes the problem.

Did you check the levels with clear tubing? This is the only way to make sure the float valve is working. Setting the float to a measured setting is a good start and may be all needed if you're lucky. Setting them to a measured fuel level is the right way to do it. and will show you if a float is hanging or saturated or if the fill valve is not sealing up.

No I didn't use the clear tubing yet because I damaged one of the ninety degree nipples coming out of the carbs 😫

Problem is the vent tubing off the carb is plugged and holding air pocket in the carb and forcing the gas to "spring" out the air inlet jet. Does not let the float rise and pressures the gas up and out. Had the same problem on an 85 I was working on about 3 month ago and drove me nuts. Found the hose was plugged. You could first check by removing the vent hose and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks!!! On my way to do that now.