IGNORED

Having fun with the new Venture at the Sturgis Rally..

cowpuc

One of Yamaha's Demo guys was kind enough to spend some time with us showing off some of the features on the new scoot. Check out the parking assist that works both FORWARD and REVERSE!! I just posted another vid in another thread showing the breakdown of this system if anyone here is interested.. LOTS of fun happening here!!

They would not allow me to take er temp or allow videoing answers to tech questions but I did sneak this quick video of the = up to operating temp motor so those trained ears of yours could at least listen to it while its warm.. Personally,, I think its pretty dog gone quiet for a push rod BIG TWIN (113 inch) air cooled motor!!

When Tip turned her back, Puc slid off the new Venture and onto a new R1!! That demo lady was telling me,,, NO wheelies,, NO stoppies and to watch my speeds cause the cops was all over - what da heck,, she think I was born yesterday (heee hee heee).. If you stop the vid at :05 you can clearly see the back AWESOME shirts they gave us just for test riding that day - COOL!!

Well shoot, I figured if ole Puc was involved and it said "having fun" it would include some dirt ridin. I'm sorely disappointed. :(

They kept a VERY close eye on those scoots,,, otherwise, given half a chance you KNOW that is exactly where I would have headed :biker::178:..

Another tid bit of info on the new one that may interest someone out there,, the braking system is a total linked system controlled electronically (no proportioning valve like on our scoots). You grab a handfull of the front brake lever and it activates both front and rear calipers. Same with the rear pedal.. Something else the techs told me....

Haven't got to see them up close but I think Yamaha has finally lost me this time. 1st gen still the most fun out there. Way back in the day I liked a little more kick. Like the Kaw 900 turbo charged Z I. So fast it was very dangerous. If I do buy another it will probally be a Wing Trike and would like te 1800. And retirement funds with all the crap going say NO!! If anything it will be a well maintained 1500 I have a hard time getting around in garage. Am I done?? I don't know. Head says maybe. Heart says HELL NO!!

Haven't got to see them up close but I think Yamaha has finally lost me this time. 1st gen still the most fun out there. Way back in the day I liked a little more kick. Like the Kaw 900 turbo charged Z I. So fast it was very dangerous. If I do buy another it will probally be a Wing Trike and would like te 1800. And retirement funds with all the crap going say NO!! If anything it will be a well maintained 1500 I have a hard time getting around in garage. Am I done?? I don't know. Head says maybe. Heart says HELL NO!!

is

I am sooooo 100% with you bro!! Fact is, when it comes to a REAL touring scoot - bar none = real deal Yamaha 1st Gen Venture. Tough as nails, fast as stink, pull like a ofreight train fully loaded with gear and the best friend on the back, extremely frugal on fuel, carve twisties like a sport bike, totally adjustable bars so an ol Chop freak can fold em in and back like a good siet of 6 bends and then lean back on Mama and ride for hours and hours in that lucious stock saddle (iron butt's unlimited) - drop a tent and get up and go back at it... Could care less about all those modern day buttons and bells... No interest in any sounds other than hearin the music the straight cuts on my clutch sings occasionally and Tip pretty voice telling me how gorgeous the country is around her as the three of us - Tip, Tweeks n I - participate in CTFW together..

Fact is,,,, if I was even remotely thinking of jumping into something along the line of another air cooled V-Twin it would DEFINITELY be another HD.. IMHO - when it comes to air cooled scoots dressed up like a touring scoot there is NOTHING as purdy or as soulful as a Harley Electra Glide.. Pull up a 2010 Ultra Limited in that 2 tone red/burgandy color (NO ONE - I MEAN NO ONE paints a scoot like them boys at The Motor Company), drop a tour pack dock plate on it so you can pull the tour pack at any time and have instant bagger - NICE. The '10's were the last of the front bumpers like the old school FL's = gotta be a 10.. Time your done you'ld have 20 large in her but cha know what,, being a Harley you would get half of it back if ya had to sell her in an emergency funds drive (aint no way a Yam/Indian/Victory scoot is even gonna come close at resale).. PLUS,, if ya ever did get the hair brained idea to actually take off and attempt a real tour on it - there are HD dealerships on every street corner to sell ya parts when ya burn er down.. Good grief what was Mom Yam thinkin,,, I just dont get it....

Hey bro,, speakin bout trikes,,,,, wait till ya see what Tip n I rode out at the rally... You remember @Monty? He's that varmint from Tennessee - he and I had a RIOT at Don's MD a few years ago.. He brought a Kuzy Cup to nail onto Tweeks that is a Boss Hoss cup holder.. He knows folks who build the Hoss down yonder and he and I were always gonna get together and go down there and stir the pot.. Well,, Tip and I hook up with the Hoss people and rode one - what a RIOT.. Got a vid, will post it up,, keep an eye on the Hole...

You thinkin of grabbin that NY Rally this comin week? Tip n I are thinkin of hoppin on whats left of Tweeks and going over there and spying on that bunch.. Maybe even sleep in the ditch over there, wake up in the late a.m. and go breath on Bongo and Big Tom just to watch em squirm.. This 4th back tire for the season is GONE so I gotta spoon on another before we go if we do.. Also ruined our tent in a wind storm filled out west,, gotta dig up another somewhere - Tip's gotta have a working zip on the tent in order for her to be able to sleep (she's a sissy,, fraid of snakes crawlin in),,, would gladly give you our old tent with a bad zip if ya still aint found ur poles and was gonna use that as an excuse to not go and we did end up CTFW back to NY again this year..

Anyway,,,,, yea,, ya gotta ride this new one but I bet if ya do yo will find it as lazy as I did.. Your to burned out on the 1st Gens too :Bunny:

I cain't seem to git up Want to to go in cage. Been pushing chest last few weeks and its finally showing improvement. Legs not so much but don't count me out yet. Yeah I've rode a few things with a little Spunk but those 1st Gens will run. I rode a few 650s and 750s. Liked the way you could throw them around. My last Hardley (I've proballly told ya this one) was a 56 Pan. Complete hardtail, raked 47 degrees, extended 16 inches, drilled frame and fished all wires thru frame. No exposed wiring ta look at. Headlight & taillight didn't take much. No front Brake!! What was I thinking?? Twisted Tube Grundy Front. Candy Apple Red with gold Flake. I rode it to Daytona in 70s!! Didn't think I would ever walk again!! Strap a 12 Pac to that 16 inch Sissy Bar and RIDE!! Learned to use Canvas, sleeping bag and bungie cords. Lived like King!!! 18 inch pipes on that Pan played some Sweet music. Old Scoot was a pain to keep up but what a ride. I've seen "Ladies" fight for the back seat!! :Avatars_Gee_George: Had a King Queen pad that ran about 1/2 way up that sissy. Tail was a lot tougher then!!

What did Tip think of the ride, was it comfortable, did she have plenty of room? Just some thoughts from the brides perspective please.:Venture:

Really good question.. Of course Her and I talked a lot about this and I could give ya some cheap shots at what I can remember she said BUT - instead of doing that I think I will interview her and stick up a vid of her answers.. Tip aint one to pull no punches,, she and I talked about the "heat" issue and, comparing to her experiences on my Harleys (she spent a LOT of time on my Shovel and other newer ones) and on demoing the Indians - her thoughts on this one really surprised me... She also brought up some points about the rider backrest I hadnt thought of - also wind buffeting from shield up and down ,,,,, no detail here,, will do an interview for ya Ed.. Got any ??'s ya want me to include? Anyone else got ??'s.. Be glad to run em by her in the interview!!

Dont think anyone has commented on this? Did they get rid of the George Jetson "chirp" out of the tranny? Or is it less of an issue with the low revs of the V-Twin?

Craig

Ya know,, I really am not sure why/how they did it cause its ALL still straight cut gears - maybe in the design of the clutch support - new clutch system is on the opposite side of the old ones and directly inline with the end of the crank.. At any rate - absolutely dead quiet from what I experienced.. Has straight cut tranny gears too and WOW does it have a sweet tranny.. If you got to my vids you can see in cut aways on the motor they had under glass all of which I speak.. Bottom line,, DEFINITELY a lot quieter drive train..

Really good question.. Of course Her and I talked a lot about this and I could give ya some cheap shots at what I can remember she said BUT - instead of doing that I think I will interview her and stick up a vid of her answers.. Tip aint one to pull no punches,, she and I talked about the "heat" issue and, comparing to her experiences on my Harleys (she spent a LOT of time on my Shovel and other newer ones) and on demoing the Indians - her thoughts on this one really surprised me... She also brought up some points about the rider backrest I hadnt thought of - also wind buffeting from shield up and down ,,,,, no detail here,, will do an interview for ya Ed.. Got any ??'s ya want me to include? Anyone else got ??'s.. Be glad to run em by her in the interview!!

Some some questions that would help is, how hard/easy is it to get on or off of, do you feel enclosed or is there ample room to slid around a little in your seat, how far away are you from your riding buddy, is the seat comfortable, or is it hard, can you see over your riding buddy's head or do you have to look around him to see, can you sit back and relax, did you feel heat from the engine. That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for the info that you will be providing.:Venture:

Sure now I think of a critical question to ask.

And Puc would be the perfect person to ask it.

Where can one get tires for this new beast?

I checked all of the popular bike parts places and none of them list a 200/55R16 tire.

I looked on the Bridgestone website and even they do not list the tire that is on this bike.

Even google could not find this tire size any where other than the bike spec sheet on the Yamaha website.

I was just reading that you are about to spoon on your 5th(?) tire for this year, you would have been dead and stranded if you had this new bike with NO tires available. That is like a new tire every 3 weeks.

Supposedly they will be shipping these bikes next month, not everyone lives in the great white north and parks their bike for half of the year, to some September is the beginning of the riding season.

Sure now I think of a critical question to ask.

And Puc would be the perfect person to ask it.

Where can one get tires for this new beast?

I checked all of the popular bike parts places and none of them list a 200/55R16 tire.

I looked on the Bridgestone website and even they do not list the tire that is on this bike.

Even google could not find this tire size any where other than the bike spec sheet on the Yamaha website.

I was just reading that you are about to spoon on your 5th(?) tire for this year, you would have been dead and stranded if you had this new bike with NO tires available. That is like a new tire every 3 weeks.

Supposedly they will be shipping these bikes next month, not everyone lives in the great white north and parks their bike for half of the year, to some September is the beginning of the riding season.

GOOD POINT BROTHER!!! I have no idea where one would get rubber for one but I do know I am GLAD it aint me standing in line at the service desk out in Moab Utah with a worn out tire on my Venture - out there, they wanted just under 200 bucks for a 404 Dunlop (exact tire that I payed less then 80 bucks for and spooned on Tweeks before we headed out - also the WORST of the WORST mileage = got way less the 4k miles out of the bloody thing). I know my buddy just paid 300 bucks for a new rear tire for his Harley (tire got old,, dont think it had over 1000 miles on it - poor thing just sat there and aged out) - probably a 500 dollar tire in Moab if its the ONLY one produced :scratchchin:... Something to think about..

Ya know Jeff,, was looking at the new Polaris Indians at Sturgis.. This topic came up with one of their sales folks about the lack of dealerships nation wide and especially in Canada.. Apparently, those Indian riding Canucks only have 1 dealership per Province up there.. Cant help but wonder if any of them are owned by scammers who wouldnt be afraid to jack up some prices on parts if a person decided to tour their lovely country up there and got stranded...

Yea,,, tire every three weeks,,, used one up touring the east coast back in June (you EVER get out there = ride "8" thru the Adirondacks = WOW!!), one going to California in July, one coming back from same and one on the Sturgis run we just got back from - could probably have saved some on that Sturgis run cause it aint that far from home to the Rally BUT - those dog gone mountains (FLaming Gorge) of Wyoming/Utah/Colorado got talking to my heart as long as we were half way there and POOF - there went another tire... I gotta slow down,,,,,,,,,,,,, :sign thanks but no,,,,NOT

Hi Scott, thank you for the great reports on the new Venture. I may have missed it but wondering if you noticed or paid attention to the engine guards? From your pictures it looks like there is one under the front fairing but it looks like the fairing would be damaged in a minor fall. I don't see anything to protect the saddle bags.

Just got thru reading down this thread... again.... and noticed a few things that I hadn't before. Kinda like watching Battle Ship for the 4th time.. Always something new I hadn't seen before.. :-) Anywho... I noticed your demo bike was already registered in California. Wonder if it will be the same one they'll use for demo's at Roseville Yamaha next weekend?? And I gotta ask. Have you tried E3's on tweek's?? And if you have what kind on milage did you get?? I have E3's on all my RSV's, but the only one that has a few miles on them is the '99. To Cody and back towing a trailer plus day trips.. About 4000 miles total and they still look like they're new. I'm wondering if buying the el cheapo 404's, Kenda's, etc. for $80 bucks it's a false economy. By the time you buy 4 of them in one year you've spent more on them... plus the spoonin'... then you woulda for E3's ... I even got some serious milage on my '83VR with Avon Venoms. When I sold the bike they still had 50% wear left and probably 12,000 on them. And yep a carved a lot of canyons with 'm.... Still a great thread and when I read it again I'm sure I'll find something else. BTW.. That one piece side cover on the V2... I wonder how much that gasket is gonna cost?? :-)

Hi Scott, thank you for the great reports on the new Venture. I may have missed it but wondering if you noticed or paid attention to the engine guards? From your pictures it looks like there is one under the front fairing but it looks like the fairing would be damaged in a minor fall. I don't see anything to protect the saddle bags.

Heyyy,, hi Gary!! Wassup my friend - you n the misses getting in ride time in?? Hope so,, Tip, Tweeks n I are firing a few shots while we can brother!!

You make a VERY good observation there on the new one Gary,, IMHO = A VERY IMPORTANT ONE TOO!! Yep,, I noticed the lack of protection right away and did indeed ask about it at Sturgis.. Was told = ya aint suppose to crash em = good enough? If your like me,, NOT so much!

Frankly,,,, I was never impressed with Mom Yam sticking all that stuff under the lowers on the 2nd Gens like they did.. I know,, I know I know - having the stuff under the fairing on all these 1st Gens I have had has been a royal pain in the butt BUT - at least when I did go over and bend a crash bar or two (you can tell I dont agree with the Yamaha Tech at Sturgis - maybe we aint suppose to fall over/crash em BUT - sooner or later,, we ALL do - dont we?) I like to be able to bend my crash bars back out and at least make it home - you go destroying those electrical or brake components out in the mountains of Utah and its a longgg walk to anything...

Like you,, I was shocked at no protection Gary,,, makes no sense to me either.. Of course,, I am just as much in SHOCK about Mom Yam going after HD (with whom they can in NO way compete with and they should know it after the poor sales of the Strat/Roadliner/Raider) with this whole Air Cooled V-Twin belt drive business instead of chasing the real serious touring shaft drive, 6 cylinder, water cooled, fully covered Honda Goldwing - sorry,, headed off the deep end again :240:

In case anyone is wondering what Gary and I are talking about,,, below are a couple quick shots of the new one compared to an old 83 Venture.. Notice the lack of protective bars around the engine and the saddle bags between the two - if you look closely you can see the extra pegs I placed on the rear crash bars on Tweeks for Tip to be able to move her feet back during those long ride days (works great). Another point for the REAL observant - also notice the HD sitting next to Tweeks (its owner is signing our bike) - notice that even HD at least offers this vital option for their scoots,, perhaps they too know that a few of their riders have a tendency of tipping over occasionally like I do and they should have the choice to be able to protect their investment in such an event...

Even though Mom Yam didnt listen to our advice on building this thing,, maybe they will see this and those crash bars will appear in next years accessory catalog?

Just got thru reading down this thread... again.... and noticed a few things that I hadn't before. Kinda like watching Battle Ship for the 4th time.. Always something new I hadn't seen before.. :-) Anywho... I noticed your demo bike was already registered in California. Wonder if it will be the same one they'll use for demo's at Roseville Yamaha next weekend?? And I gotta ask. Have you tried E3's on tweek's?? And if you have what kind on milage did you get?? I have E3's on all my RSV's, but the only one that has a few miles on them is the '99. To Cody and back towing a trailer plus day trips.. About 4000 miles total and they still look like they're new. I'm wondering if buying the el cheapo 404's, Kenda's, etc. for $80 bucks it's a false economy. By the time you buy 4 of them in one year you've spent more on them... plus the spoonin'... then you woulda for E3's ... I even got some serious milage on my '83VR with Avon Venoms. When I sold the bike they still had 50% wear left and probably 12,000 on them. And yep a carved a lot of canyons with 'm.... Still a great thread and when I read it again I'm sure I'll find something else. BTW.. That one piece side cover on the V2... I wonder how much that gasket is gonna cost?? :-)

Ok,,, lets see,, I ran Venoms = 6k in our ride style,, didnt care for their odd tread pattern - once they "squared" and lost their radious they became really strange in the sound on hard corners AND they also developed a strange "feel" in the same. Spent the big bucks on a Michelin Commander 2 a while back. I am good friends with a local bike tire sales guy who has been in the business MANY years. He sold me the expensive Michilin with the advice - "its my best high milage tire Scott BUT - be warned - its hard rubber makes it iffy in the corners if your aggressive like I know you are - just be careful and let me know how it works in the 110 degree desert tempts - should be awesome". It was just under 200 bucks.. When Tip n I finally arrived out there Jack we had just under 6k on the tire - it had some left in it but DEFINITELY not enough to make it home = THAT is always a problem - if the tire cant complete a 12 thousand miles round trip (that has been our longest for a western journey) then paying the big bucks for a high end tire is pointless.. Ended up swapping out the Commander out there and went back to low end..

Still havent tried the E3's and probably wont unless I can get a really swinging good deal on one.. After my experience with the Michilin - I would be TICKED if I spent close to 300 bucks for a rear tire and it ended up with not enough rubber on it after chasing around the desert and arriving at my daughters house in California and I had to swap it out.. Ya gotta understand something here,,, first of all (and I KNOW you know this,, you have a LOT more experience in the deserts than I do) that hot tarmac EATS rubber,, all one has to do is put their foot down at an intersection in a place like Vegas, Death Valley, Bakersfield, Phoenix (where lots of riders like videoarizona wont even ride during the summer - it does get that hot out there) and you will slide as the rubber on your shoes/boots is being melted.. That rubber WILL end up all over the back of your saddle bags, like it has mine many many times, and that hot tarmac could care less what the compound seems to be IMHO.. Then,, if you trust the high end tires to make the trip the rest of the way around and they dont,,, guess what - 99% of the bike shops where you end up looking for a new tire while your on the road and at their mercy will no more match internet pricing than the man in the moon,, doesnt work like that... Plus,,, because Murph respects no statelines (in my experience) - you will end up standing in a smokin hot uncovered parking lot in 110 degree weather laying on that HOT tarmac trying to remove the cotter key from that nut on the end of the axle so you can remove the rear tire to spoon off that 300 dollar high mileage tire cause that dealer with the air conditioned shop will want 400 bucks to do it in there where its cool... :big-grin-emoticon:

It's whole lot easier and wayyyy less expensive to just stick with lower end, less mileage tires and KNOW one in and one out...

Now,, that all said,,,, I have looked FOREVER for a car tire to try.. Reason being,, may sound simple but car tires do not have the radius on the tread that all bike tires do - in my line of thinking and experience its a simple matter of loosing that radius and the center of the tire having to carry the load and bear the heat damage.. Makes sense to my pea brain that the wider contact patch of a car tire would really help.. I would LOVE to test one and would gladly pay the higher cost of doing so just to find out.. That said,, I still do question the feasibilty of swapping out a car tire on the highway with my spoons should I cut a sidewall (I gotta hunch Murph even knows how to handle car tires).. If I could find one that would fit - I think I would spoon it on instead of having it installed just to answer those questions..

DSCN5306.JPG

DSCN5427.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

Puc, you have waaayyy more experience dealing with the heat and murphy. The only long distance riding has been to the Ft.Collins International in 100°+ temps. 105° for 10 hrs on the way back to the barn with the '83 and Venoms across Nevada, and 100°++ to Cody and back with the '99. They were the exception, but didn't have any problems. Oh yeah, and at the Venture West in Yreka in 2015 with the '07.. On the ride up to Happy Camp and back, I made it... the tires made it, but 7of9 had heat stroke and barfed in the parking lot of the motel. Coming out of the canyon my temp gauge registered 112°.., and my seat was so hot I had to sit back on the passenger seat. Very happy it was only a 160 mi round trip..

My general rule of thumb is I only ride when the temp is between 40° - 85° I hate Nevada and I-80 in the summer.

Boring and hot... :draming:..:scorched:

And this summer around here it hasn't been the greatest. Usually we get 7-8 days of plus 100. This year we pushed it up to around 20?? and I can't remember a day when it's been below 90... You know the old mexican expression.. I'm getting too old for this chit.... :-) :backinmyday:

Puc, you have waaayyy more experience dealing with the heat and murphy. The only long distance riding has been to the Ft.Collins International in 100°+ temps. 105° for 10 hrs on the way back to the barn with the '83 and Venoms across Nevada, and 100°++ to Cody and back with the '99. They were the exception, but didn't have any problems. Oh yeah, and at the Venture West in Yreka in 2015 with the '07.. On the ride up to Happy Camp and back, I made it... the tires made it, but 7of9 had heat stroke and barfed in the parking lot of the motel. Coming out of the canyon my temp gauge registered 112°.., and my seat was so hot I had to sit back on the passenger seat. Very happy it was only a 160 mi round trip..

My general rule of thumb is I only ride when the temp is between 40° - 85° I hate Nevada and I-80 in the summer.

Boring and hot... :draming:..:scorched:

And this summer around here it hasn't been the greatest. Usually we get 7-8 days of plus 100. This year we pushed it up to around 20?? and I can't remember a day when it's been below 90... You know the old mexican expression.. I'm getting too old for this chit.... :-) :backinmyday: