IGNORED

06 royal star venture

Pictures would help us understand what parts broke.

If it is the plastic where the latches attach, maybe reattaching broken sections with ABS glue.

I think it is DEVCON that makes a product called plastic weld, I have used it in the past with good results.

One thing is that it sets quickly so be ready to work quickly and surely.

Edited by M61A1MECH
correct spelling

Pictures would help us understand what parts broke.

If it is the plastic where the latches attach, maybe reattaching broken sections with ABS glue.

I think it is DEVVON that makes a product called plastic weld, I have used it in the past with good results.

One thing is that it sets quickly so be ready to work quickly and surely.

will have to see the auto supply stores around kitchener area here thx for the tip

I added pics of the problem i have with the saddle bag for your imput thx in advance
That repair could be a little awkward to get properly aligned before the tabs get permanently attached. Once you get the correct position, making a solid repair won't be very difficult.

Perhaps you could try taping the tabs in position using a couple of layers of masking tape on each side, inside and out, might make them solid enough to test fit the trunk lid part. If that works and as long as the plastic on the tabs is touching the plastic on the support structure then drizzle some MEK solvent at those points to bond the pieces together. The MEK will wick into the joint and stick the pieces together enough to be able to gently remove the tape after waiting long enough for it to set up. How long it will take to set will depend on the weather. It will be evaporating inside the tape so it's hard to predict.

Once the tabs have been solidly positioned the connection areas will need to be built up to make it permanent. There are a number of ways that can be done. After removing the tape on the outside of the tabs, my preference would be to make up a paste of MEK and ABS and press it into any voids in where the tabs touch the support structure. Once that has been done the repair should be solid enough to test fit again. If it still fits remove the tape from the inside of the tabs and apply more MEK/ABS paste to build up the corners.

To strengthen the whole structure, remove the metal parts and lay a piece of glass fiber cloth around the outside of the structure, sticking down with a thin paste on each side. After it all sets add some more to completely fill the weave of the cloth. Clean up any dribbles or pointy things with a sharp chisel and sandpaper.

Clear out the mounting holes and remount the metal parts.

That repair could be a little awkward to get properly aligned before the tabs get permanently attached. Once you get the correct position, making a solid repair won't be very difficult.

Perhaps you could try taping the tabs in position using a couple of layers of masking tape on each side, inside and out, might make them solid enough to test fit the trunk lid part. If that works and as long as the plastic on the tabs is touching the plastic on the support structure then drizzle some MEK solvent at those points to bond the pieces together. The MEK will wick into the joint and stick the pieces together enough to be able to gently remove the tape after waiting long enough for it to set up. How long it will take to set will depend on the weather. It will be evaporating inside the tape so it's hard to predict.

Once the tabs have been solidly positioned the connection areas will need to be built up to make it permanent. There are a number of ways that can be done. After removing the tape on the outside of the tabs, my preference would be to make up a paste of MEK and ABS and press it into any voids in where the tabs touch the support structure. Once that has been done the repair should be solid enough to test fit again. If it still fits remove the tape from the inside of the tabs and apply more MEK/ABS paste to build up the corners.

To strengthen the whole structure, remove the metal parts and lay a piece of glass fiber cloth around the outside of the structure, sticking down with a thin paste on each side. After it all sets add some more to completely fill the weave of the cloth. Clean up any dribbles or pointy things with a sharp chisel and sandpaper.

Clear out the mounting holes and remount the metal parts.

Thx i apprecate the info will have to look for the MEK PASTE OR ABS STUFF SINCE IM FROM CANADA I DO GET TO THE STATES SO GOING TO A AUTO PLACE SHOULDNT BE TO HARD TO GET AT

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thx i apprecate the info will have to look for the MEK PASTE OR ABS STUFF SINCE IM FROM CANADA I DO GET TO THE STATES SO GOING TO A AUTO PLACE SHOULDNT BE TO HARD TO GET AT

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Guess you didn't notice, I'm a Canadian too. Essentially you make your own paste by mixing Methyl Ethyl Keytone Solvent with ABS plastic. MEK is relatively cheap and can be gotten from many hardware stores or a plastics store. That's where I got mine along with a application syringe. It's a fairly easy process and I've written a few posts about it.

I can tell you more if you are interested.

If it were mine I would get Tip to get out the hot glue gun and, while I carefully held the latch in exactly the position it belongs, I would have her "tack" it in position with hot glue like a welder tacks a piece in when fabbing up a job. Then I would take some of this new product I recently discovered called E6000 and let it run over the whole area where the breakage is. I repaired the gas fill cover on my Bike and an open hole in my right saddle bag with the stuff before a recent brief trip out west and WOW did it work awesome. E6000 is an adhesive that sets up like a very strong rubber - almost like the rubber on a car tire.

Of course, as in all things including actual welding, prep is manditory = clean the area real good before doing anything - get rid of even oil from touching the parts.