IGNORED

Adding oil cooler to stator on '83 XVS12

s.tyler58

While my bike is with my mechanic, should I have an oil cooler added to my stator? He seemed concerned about drilling the cover but says it would definitely help the stator last longer. I know I've seen conversation in here about this upgrade but does anyone have a parts list or Video available?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Drilling the cover?

My understanding is that it is just replacing the bolt in the center of the flywheel with one that comes with a hole in the center, and then sticking a specially bent piece of wire into that hole. No drilling required. The hole in the bolt allows oil under pressure to come out of the crankshaft and the spinning of the flywheel flings the oil outward to cool the stator.

I have not looked but you might even be able to do this mod without taking the cover off, just pull out the center part that is held by 2 screws and sealed with a reusable rubber O-ring.

If you do not have this mod then you should do it.

While my bike is with my mechanic, should I have an oil cooler added to my stator? He seemed concerned about drilling the cover but says it would definitely help the stator last longer. I know I've seen conversation in here about this upgrade but does anyone have a parts list or Video available?

Ty,, here is a little vid from a few years ago that you may or may not find helpful.. Might want to take a moment and watch it in its entirety.. The way the splash plate works is oil is forced from the orfice in the bolt holding the rotor on and hits the added splash plate and it showers those coils on the stator with oil.. It was an update from Yamaha.. I remember when a good buddy of mine who used to own the Yamaha shop in our area threw out BOXES of those update parts - not sure where you would find them now,,, maybe someone here has a setup sitting on a shelf.. Another familiar update was the water pump impellar.. The 83's had plastic impellars that would disengrate fairly quickly.. The updated impellar is still purchasable cause they used it all the up to the 93's (maybe even the Gen 2's) as far as I know..

Edited by cowpuc

It's funny to see you call me Ty after spending my whole life with EVERYONE, EVERY TIME that I introduce myself to making a Rock Star reference. I've always been grateful that I wasn't named Jeffrey Dahmer! Don't think I haven't used that to my advantage in getting in to see doctors with my goods and services! I'm glad that when most people think of Steven Tyler a smile comes to their face. Of course, from that initial greeting on I make myself memorable in myriad other ways...

Perfect! I'm still puzzled about inserting a wire to throw the oil though. Is this wire an actual part or does a guy make one? What keeps it in there?

There was no wire involved with the actual Yamaha Update for the Stator that I know of - what you see in that video is what Yamaha came up with and sent to their shops for doing the update.. I have done several of the updates thru the years myself and have not used a wire splash BUT - not saying it isnt common around here.. There are many engineers and very intellegent folks and such who may have came up with their own remedy for what was a disastor on those early stators where they simply burned up from lack of proper cooling..

It's funny to see you call me Ty after spending my whole life with EVERYONE, EVERY TIME that I introduce myself to making a Rock Star reference. I've always been grateful that I wasn't named Jeffrey Dahmer! Don't think I haven't used that to my advantage in getting in to see doctors with my goods and services! I'm glad that when most people think of Steven Tyler a smile comes to their face. Of course, from that initial greeting on I make myself memorable in myriad other ways...

WAYYYY COOL TY!!!!! You should be thankful your little daughter didnt give you the biker name of Cowpuc cause she didnt want to swear and say cow poop after watching her daddy always step in the stuff when stepping out of the tent.... Having to explain that one is always something I do with pride though,,, but still,,, cow manure???

My guy is gonna do it while he's got it. We discussed Yamaha upgrade parts so I'm certain he'll have me covered. I tell you when you have an old bike, a mechanic you've just gotten to know but who knows this motorcycle and you're sharing videos and information from " experts on the web" it can be like walking a razors edge. I think we've established balance of my respect for his expertise and his appreciation for my enthusiasm and teachability. Great guy.

My little daughter with my second grandson and 7th grandchildhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170817/a4f43ea47b119f1044d721b1a619eca6.jpg

ROCK ON!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

NOW we're cookin with hot grease brother!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

YOU done got BLESSED beyond measure - WHAT A GORGEOUS FAMILY!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3 weeks out of surgery to remove a grapefruit sized tumor from my abdomen and BINGO - LOOKY LOOKY TY - ol Pucster done got blessed too!!!! Me and that Grandson of mine are BOTH wearing diapers in this video!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

LIFE IS GRAND!!!

WAYYYY COOL TY!!!!! You should be thankful your little daughter didnt give you the biker name of Cowpuc cause she didnt want to swear and say cow poop after watching her daddy always step in the stuff when stepping out of the tent.... Having to explain that one is always something I do with pride though,,, but still,,, cow manure???

Now If that AIN'T SUM BS!!!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

You're gonna whine about cow pies to a Nebraskan? Have you seen the brown lines down the center line and outside of every curve in our state? Cattle waste in NE, Pig in IA. My little grandkids call me Papa. Lots better than puc ! Hahaha, but then again, after 16 hours ripening in the saddle...

Now If that AIN'T SUM BS!!!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

Taint no BS,, here's a vid with the one who gave me that name as a little girl (she earned the biker name "Cappy" on that same trip wayyyy back when) after we arrived safely out at her place in California..

Taint no BS,, here's a vid with the one who gave me that name as a little girl (she earned the biker name "Cappy" on that same trip wayyyy back when) after we arrived safely out at her place in California..

You know I'm just BS'n ya right[emoji23]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

You know I'm just BS'n ya right[emoji23]

Absolutely, positively no doubt about it,, I KNEW that Snype BUT - ya gotta admit,,, it was pretty dog gone crafty how I spun your comment into a perfect opportunity to show off one of my kids :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Absolutely, positively no doubt about it,, I KNEW that Snype BUT - ya gotta admit,,, it was pretty dog gone crafty how I spun your comment into a perfect opportunity to show off one of my kids :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:
Crap I thought you were trying to show off your skills on how to make the dogs howl... So showing off daughter ahhh I can match it0a666188a0e10de84b3799e526ae4e5a.jpg

Drilling the cover?

My understanding is that it is just replacing the bolt in the center of the flywheel with one that comes with a hole in the center, and then sticking a specially bent piece of wire into that hole. No drilling required. The hole in the bolt allows oil under pressure to come out of the crankshaft and the spinning of the flywheel flings the oil outward to cool the stator.

I have not looked but you might even be able to do this mod without taking the cover off, just pull out the center part that is held by 2 screws and sealed with a reusable rubber O-ring.

If you do not have this mod then you should do it.

****** Any one following this thread is gonna wanna read this AND follow thru by clicking on the link here and READ post 6 by Condor in that link!! Seems my good buddy @Flyinfool knew EXACTLY what he was talking about here = I had NO idea that a "wire" of any form was involved in Mom's Yam's update on the stator - I have been living on her "1st" update apparently and - as @Condor shows in Post 6 - I was wrong! I strongly advise that anyone wanting to update the stator on their early 1st Gen (MK1) READ and heed Jeff's/Condor's advice herein!!

Here is the link - take a close look at Post 6 folks: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?131876-5-tire-spooned-on-beads-inside-Tip-n-I-take-Tweeks-for-test-drive-and-ahhh-ohhh

Learn something new everyday!!

I'm so dumb I can't even call my bike by it's proper ID!

:lightbulb:,, name it "Carbine",,, short for "M-1",, short for Mark 1 :missingtooth: :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Then walk into a bike shop and tell em ya need a wire for the rotor bolt on your Carbine and let me know what they say...