IGNORED

1990 Royale air questions

Hello all

Traded my 83 for a 90 Royale. I love it so far. Ijust installed a new back tire and while I was there new brake pads. I noticed the front air suspension was not holding air. Pump it up and within a minute or 2 it would be down to zero . The rear holds fine. Well I basically stripped it down so I could start removing the front air lines so I can replace them. My question is where can I get replacements? Or who can make this style if I can't get an oem or similar? I honestly just wanna put a short line and Schrader valve and manually pump it up as desired . The class system needs some work and I'm happy with out it

Thanks!

When I rebuilt my front end I used Progressive brand springs.....haven't had to put sit in there since.

Im not sure if there are any NOS, you can try partzilla.com . Almost any competent hydraulic shop should be able to make something that'll work.

Take a spray bottle with soapy water and wet down the fork seals and all the hose joints while pressurized. Bubbles will show you where your leak is, and it should be fairly large to loose pressure in 2 minutes...

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Progressive Springs and you won't need air in front!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Progressive Springs and you won't need air in front!!

Many of us have a little more heft in our caboose and still need the air. MOF I even kept the AD's functional on the '83. I had all three cooking and it was the best riding bike I've ever owned. The only thing I did change were to go to Avon Venoms. That bike rode like it was on rails. Coming across Nevada I'd ride for long miles and never touch the grips.... The dumbest thing I ever did was to sell it to my son. I loved that bike... :bang head:

+3 on the Progressive springs. I recently put them in my83 and it is the single biggest improvement I have done to the bike. On another note I had a broken line on my fronts and could not find anywhere that could make me something to work with the system. I ended up finding one at a local bike recyclers yard as they are not available new from the dealer any longer (for a mk1) they may be for a mk2 I'm not sure of that. Good luck

+3 on the Progressive springs. I recently put them in my83 and it is the single biggest improvement I have done to the bike. On another note I had a broken line on my fronts and could not find anywhere that could make me something to work with the system. I ended up finding one at a local bike recyclers yard as they are not available new from the dealer any longer (for a mk1) they may be for a mk2 I'm not sure of that. Good luck

You might reconsider about it being the best improvement to an '83, and drop it to #2 after installing a set of R1 calipers and MKII rotors... Those 2 piston OEM's on the MKI's are a joke. Braking control is unbelievable with the R1's....'specially if you like to carve the twisties...

Yup! Even with progressives, you need just a little air pressure in the shocks to help keep the hydraulic fluid from foaming and affecting performance once heated up and moving...

I'd never thought of that but dang Bob that makes a lot of sense....:thumbsup2:

The most probable place for a front fork air leaK are the Orings inside of the "air joint"

p/n 26H-2319A-00-00,front fork parts fische #68

[TABLE]

[TR=class: ariPartInfo ari_row_odd]

[TD=class: listTD ariPLTag, align: center](

[/TD]

[TABLE]

[TD=class: listTD ariPLTag, align: center][/TD]

[TD=class: listTD ariPLDesc],

These Orings are item 70 and their part number is

26H-23188-00-00

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You'll have to loosen the fork clamps and slide the forks down so you can get the air joints off and replace the Orings. You probably won't be able to use soak to look for bubbles on the air joints because of their location and the fact that it could be the lower orings that wouldn't collect any soap.

[TABLE]

[TD=class: listTD ariPLTag, align: center][/TD]

[TD=class: listTD ariPLDesc][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 8 months later...

I tip the scales at 220-ish without gear. Probably another 50lbs for gear and cargo and run no air up front with Progressives. When wifey is onboard (100lbs lighter than me) I may put an additional PSI in the rear. When I converted to Progressives I also replaced the bushings, seals and dust covers with OEM parts. I used synthetic import ATF instead of conventional fork oil. IIRC it sets between 7.5-10 wt. Love it. Did same to my Vmax and love that too. No air even needed in either. On a side note, when I did tear into the Venture I found some air lines had dry rot and were no longer air tight. I found the fork air collars and a jumble of air hoses on Ebay for some stupid cheap price but have never needed air up front since forks done.