IGNORED

Sturgis 2017 - The Saga Begins!! U comin = read this. Others = read @ ur own risk

cowpuc

Next rear tire mounted and balanced = check

Drive pins greased = check

Oil changed = check

Carbs synced = check

Tips xtra rider pegs on = check

Maggies forks locked and key in pocket = check

Superman suite with cape received from DragonSlayer (WOWZY BOB = AWESOME = THANKS BROTHER = WILL USE ALLL THAT POWER FOR GOOD) and pre-flight inspection done = check

Weather report = check,,,, ahhh ohh,, whats that on radar,,, thunderboomers coming in off the Port side Thursday,, depart schedule upgraded to tomorrow - even Superman's eyeballs are sensitive to rain drops bouncing off em!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Short riders agenda briefing:

Saturday the 5th at NOON at the Yamaha Shop in Sturgis = 1st Rally point for hello's n hugs - sorry no Hot Dogs for this one = Meet Greet n Eat Meat staff refused to risk going near Sturgis at this time of year!!

Sunday the 6th at NOON at Arby's located 1 block south of Interstate 90 on Alt 16. Take Exit 61 off 90 in Rapid City, head south on 16, go one block and Arby's will be on left at North east corner of 16 and Cheyenne. Still no free hot dogs = sissy staff!!

It is rumored that Tip, Tweeksis and Puc/Superman will try to be viewable during the Rally at these Web Cams at 10 A.M and 4 P.M. (Sturgis SD time) both Saturday and Sunday the 5th and the 6th of August. ALL welcome to join them in an effort to disperse large amounts of love, joy, laughter and just general good hearted harrassment to those who might be viewing!! Here are the web cams where this will take place.. They are located somewhere in Sturgis = hopefully Supermans xray vision is operating during the above posted time frames so he can find the camera!!

Sturgis Street Cam:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/webcams/sturgis-street/

and then directly across the road for close ups:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/webcams/sturgis-sidewalk/

The 3 of us, Tip-Tweeks-Puc/Superman, plan to take FULL advantage of the cooler weather now present in the western states - when we traveled to the west coast a few days ago 106 was the average temps from MN to Cali,, EVEN UP INTO MONTANA AND YELLOWSTONE!! - we hope to revisit the Flaming Gorge where Wyoming/Colorado/Utah meet.. If the weather holds (stays reasonably cool) and the extended trip happens there is a VERY good chance we will return back to the Rally on our way back in during the middle of the Rally week.. During our recent travels out to the west coast, our cell phone had NO service (strange too because it had fine service when we toured the East coast during June). Due to this, if you are attending the Rally later during the week and/or cannot make one of the VR family gatherings on the 5th or 6th - PLEASE post here in the Water Hole with some form of meeting plan.. We do carry a small tablet (flippin thing is TINY) with us and will attempt to follow/would LOVE to hook up with folks via that communication line..

Now,, to get started with early Sturgis news reporting:

Reporter: Clark Kent and Lois Lane

All vids/pics property of The Daily Planet

The Super saga begins!

Within minutes of slipping into his suit - Superman is already undertaking his 1st rescue = :scared: = Superman NEVER "yeeehawed" like that when George Reeves wore that suit (start at :32)!!

Edited by cowpuc

Should say View and watch at your OWN RISK... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Well Not what I had in mind for motorcycle Surfing but close enough. Even the Man of steal could break trying to stand on seat... Dang it why does life get in the way of something so Superb that is just something You don't want to miss in your life time..... Maybe I can catch it On Sturgis Cam. Maybe Next year I can go to Sturgis.... you all have fun and do us all a favor whoever is going and FORGET TO BEHAVE!!!! :banana::superman::superman::superman: Hopefully Tippy won't end up with to sore of a stomach, but she may want to take a change of clothes..... just in case she laughs to hard...:crackup:

You guys are Crazy! & lots of FUN. I was laughing so much watching those videos my wife asked what I was watching.

So I had to explain the story & all about the Superman suit, etc, etc & she came over to watch too.

you Guys epitomize that saying "We may all grow older but we don't have to grow up!" Good on ya!

Have a great time in Sturgis, Guys & Ride safe Man of Steel!

I am curious what Superman is gonna do with this *New* (Venture) maybe scratch head with hand gestures around motor then go to Real Venture and compare all the um things the real Venture has... if you catching my drift....

Being a SUPER lover of the sciences and a person in search of truth and honesty = Superman has determined to carry his handy Harbor Freight Infrared Laser Thermometer with him to the Rally.. He has read where Mom Yam has found a way to overcome the hot motor issues associated with all air cooled V-Twin motorcycles when used as a touring bike in climates above 100 degrees. Superman and his best friend have a fair amount of touring experience on board the lovely Tweeks, a watercooled 1st Gen Venture which they will also have onsite to compare tempts with against this 3rd Gen Venture that is suppose to turn the touring world upside down. Superman will inquire, while recording the conversation, whether or not the factory reps from Yamaha will allow the new machine to sit with the motor idling next to the lowly Tweeksis (mimicking being stuck in traffic) while Superman takes multiple temp readings from the sides of the motorcycles.. Tip, Tweeks and Puc have experienced first hand on more then one occasion watching air cooled motorcycles and their riders pull off the roadway in search of a shade tree to allow the over heated bikes and riders a chance to cool down - this action is illegal in some states.

Another issue that Puc and Tip - mostly Tip - have experienced with HOT MOTORS on motorcycles while out seeking touring adventure in the desert regions have to do with high cross winds blowing hot motor air across Tippys precious legs and feet. In these frequent occasions found in far off places like Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, California, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and even in Michigan = had it not been for the plastic Blonde side covers found on Tweeks sides (these sticker covered side covers are deeply adored by Puc, Tip and their children because they have been on all 6 of the family Ventures and are from the 1st 1st Gen Puc purchased back in '87 - they have well over 1 million touring miles on them) those adventures would have been cut short and emergency burn treatment sought. With no way to test this particular ailment associated with previous air cooled exposed V-Twin motors in touring settings that Puc n Tip find themselves in at times - Superman will just have to rely on what he finds by comparing tempts in the parking lot between the two machines.

Superman also plans to ride the new machine and, hopefully the friendly Yamaha people will allow Puc and Tip to test ride the machine together.. If so, Puc plans on doing some recorded speed pulls at various locations and then go back to those same locations and do a recording of Tweeks making the same pulls.. Tweeks will be at a dreadful disadvantage during this process as she will be fully loaded with all the gear that Puc n Tip carry while actually touring. She - Tweeks - has been known to (on a very frequent basis) easily outrun all and any stock Harleys with no gear on them and only 1 rider so she has no fear.. She has also shown the same temperment when dealing with even well tuned air cooled V-Twin motorcycles including Harleys, Indians, Victorys and the like even though they are much larger then her puny 74 inch displacement - a fact that sometimes causes a grimace to appear upon the face of the riders thereof..

Much like Puc, the Man of Steel is a believer in facts proven to him by experience - he rely's very little on propaganda.. His opinion concerning what constitutes a real touring motorcycle seems to be very similar to that of more than one touring motorcycle rider.. This research about to take place is in no way an attempt to discredit the new Yamaha Venture - as a matter of fact, just the opposite is true. It is simply a bold attempt to determine exactly what purpose the new machine will serve the motorcycling community in. If, in fact,, the reps with Yamaha have been totally honest with the touring community and they have actually found a way to control the tempts on the 113 inch air cooled V-twin motor to the extent that the infra temp gauge shows the temps on the engine to be the same or cooler than on Tweeks plastic then Puc and Tippy will jump up and down in the parking lot with TOTAL amazement at Mom Yams accomplishment and they will be in TOTAL agreement that - indeed - Mom Yam has turned the touring world upside down as they claimed..

I am liking the way you are thinking, Supermans Exray vision. CHFF CHFF Infared Gun. I am also very interested in this too. I really wished I could ride one of these because sometimes I have habit of riding with no socks and in shorts. Now mind you in very short distances, Say if I am gonna go any distance I use Blue jeans and leather Jacket, it is actually called leather shirt its lighter weight then a heavy leather coat.... I look forward to the ride reports, You might ask if it is possible to put 20 lb weight in saddles and 40 in the trunk, The only thing that concerns me is the payload limit, if that is understood correctly. I know on Tinker I have had her loaded a time or two with water for roadside rescue for radiators, unfortunatley that time there was no saving that poor little truck. There was another time I went to a friends house just to get some Well Water, and yes I still love spring water and well water. I will take true spring water over well water any day. All i know is that beats City Water any day. Needless to say I am gonna put my faith in you Puc to be the truth Seeker, and if it is all found to be factual I will break my neck to get this bike... and figure out someway to qualify for it, I love the looks just not the Engine..... this is the only downfall that I have really seen, the other problem will be breaking myself of trying to get High revs, Riding dirt bikes, four wheelers, three wheelers I have always went with high revs and trying to keep below 3000 is going to be a challenge for me. Even when I had my sports cars I drove them up to 5000 before shifting most of the time and backed off in 3rd gear....

If, in fact,, the reps with Yamaha have been totally honest with the touring community and they have actually found a way to control the tempts on the 113 inch air cooled V-twin motor to the extent that the infra temp gauge shows the temps on the engine to be the same or cooler than on Tweeks plastic then Puc and Tippy will jump up and down in the parking lot with TOTAL amazement at Mom Yams accomplishment and they will be in TOTAL agreement that - indeed - Mom Yam has turned the touring world upside down as they claimed..

Here's another 3rdGen question that's been bothering me... a little. What did they feed it?? They've got that thing up to 950# and have removed the heavy weight items from the 2ndGen at 850#. They've replaced the water cooled V4 with a lighter V2, and the drive shaft and final. Sounds like it should be lighter?? I didn't know PC boards weighed that much..??? :witch_brew:

Great days!!! All well, superman teest rode new vennny, new r1 YAHOOO n vanderhall 3 wheeler. Google it, amazing trike hand built in provo. Met awesome folks from poland, mexico, argintina,, lots to tell,, awesome time! @jakester showed at yam shop, had great time! Also 1 of our new members showed, cant remember his name,, something bat..... anyway, nice guy w wife. Jakester says hi. Am in upstate wyoming right now. Will not make meeting in rapid city tomorrow at noon. Met new friend from missori, just fixed taillights on his motorhome, n tip n i are staying with him, will be nice to sleep off ground says tippy. Soooooo much fun!! Get out n ride!

Puc

Here's another 3rdGen question that's been bothering me... a little. What did they feed it?? They've got that thing up to 950# and have removed the heavy weight items from the 2ndGen at 850#. They've replaced the water cooled V4 with a lighter V2, and the drive shaft and final. Sounds like it should be lighter?? I didn't know PC boards weighed that much..??? :witch_brew:

they added a frame mounted fairing, bigger trunk and side saddles, bigger rear tire thus bigger rim....I'm sure the size of the twin motor and pistons are the same weight or damn near close to the V4. I'm sure there is more.... I test rode it at star days, its lower to the ground and a tad longer than the Gen2. You don't even feel the extra weight, and its much easier to handle at low speed than the gen 2.

Stat

they added a frame mounted fairing, bigger trunk and side saddles, bigger rear tire thus bigger rim....I'm sure the size of the twin motor and pistons are the same weight or damn near close to the V4. I'm sure there is more.... I test rode it at star days, its lower to the ground and a tad longer than the Gen2. You don't even feel the extra weight, and its much easier to handle at low speed than the gen 2.

Stat

Whether the plastic is mounted on the frame or on the triple shouldn't make that much difference in weight...if any. The frame mount will be more responsive due to the weigh removed from the forks.. Like a 1stGen. The larger bags will add a few extra pounds, but not enough to make that big of a difference. I also think you'll find that an air cooled V2 is lighter than a water cooled, drive shaft/final V4. I'm sure with the lower center of gravity it handles much nicer, but I bet it would be even livelier if it came in at around 800# I might also be interesting to check the front rake compared to that of a 2ndGen's..

And one more thing... Sorry Puc for hi-jacking your thread... Should have made the comments somewhere else...

Whether the plastic is mounted on the frame or on the triple shouldn't make that much difference in weight...if any. The frame mount will be more responsive due to the weigh removed from the forks.. Like a 1stGen. The larger bags will add a few extra pounds, but not enough to make that big of a difference. I also think you'll find that an air cooled V2 is lighter than a water cooled, drive shaft/final V4. I'm sure with the lower center of gravity it handles much nicer, but I bet it would be even livelier if it came in at around 800# I might also be interesting to check the front rake compared to that of a 2ndGen's..

And one more thing... Sorry Puc for hi-jacking your thread... Should have made the comments somewhere else...

absolutely no problem jack! Hi JACK away brother,, i ejoy it! Just posted a lil info over in the 3rd gen thread, still out ctfw here, 4th back tire is gettin right down there! Wowzy wow wow wow,,, u varmints who aint toured the flaming gorge have gotta go! We redid it n was able 2 get all the way around this time,,, it is amaz>ng,, equal 2 the canyon but no,, i mean no tourist in mtr homes slwing ya down! Wyoming is gorgesous! @Dragonslayer ,, place went crazy over superman! Was told absolutely no standiing on pegs but pulled it off any wavy. Matter of fact, tip said she saw the cops taking my pic too while standing up, holding one hand up like i was flying wbhile putttin down main thru the crowds..

Also finally got to ride boss hosses and met montys friend who works for boss hoss! Great guy! Even got em to sign the boss hoss koozy cup ya gave me at dons md @Monty! I love those grat big chevy powered scoots! Me n tip rode a red trike with a 57 chevy rear end,, wayyy purdy! Still thinking no way would even that 383 stroker touch my r1 thou but it sure would be fun to find out!

Still think afrlen ness went to work for mom yam,, those new ones sure look sispicially like a victory,,, probably sounds nuts but i know you varmints consider the source here n forgive my opinions..

Speakin of bling,, wow did ee get really nice shirts for riding the new one,, definitely worth the trip lol. Also, speakin bling,, tip wanted a spin in a sling shot so away we went. Wasnt spose to squeek the tires but,,,, well,,,, you know me.

Weathers been weird,, hot, cold.. even got nailed with a bunch of hail. Tent is shot! Rear tire almost gone! Sunburned head! Tweeks ki ked some hd butt! Tip wore out a couple dryers in kadoka and in white wood drying wet sleepin bags so far! All n all,, all is normal n great!

Hey you lop-eared varmit @cowpuc, where the heck is you? Still in S. Dak. til

friday then heading for home. So inspired by your needles ride vid, gonna do it tomorrow. Did Sturgis today but spent most time on HD exhibits, imagine that. [emoji1] Ride safe my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey you lop-eared varmit cowpuc, where the heck is you? Still in S. Dak. til

friday then heading for home. So inspired by your needles ride vid, gonna do it tomorrow. Did Sturgis today but spent most time on HD exhibits, imagine that. [emoji1] Ride safe my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWESOME!! Hope you 2 lop eared driften varmints are able to find a clear path up the hill brother - it is GORGEOUS up there!!. Sorry we aint crossed paths - its not my fault bro - its those dad burned heathens on those potato mashin V-Twins that keep goin round n round n round the block = theys to blame - ol desert rats like us dont stand a chance of even findin dinner - LOL..

fyi,, actually tip, tweeks and I done got caught in another one of those high falutin stiff western cross winds,, over n over again = that just keeps happenin = RETIREMENT = GOOD STUFF!!

A real deal south dakotian gentleman bout our age comes walkin over to Tweeksis while she was lappin up 85 octane out in a little cowtown - after takin the last sip of soda from his pop bottle - he looked at me and said "I can see you r not the "normal" rally rider". Then he mentioned somethin about wondering why we were not chasin "the wall".. Of course,, I hadda ask.. He said the Vietnam War Wall was headed across South Dakota!!!!

Having lost friends in that one and havin a tender heart for all who served = Tweeks n i stared at each other,,, then at Tip.. Tips thumbs went up and away we went = caught in another cross wind.... FINALLY FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On your way home - right after you cross the missuri rivr at chamberlin, look up to ur right and u will see the Dignity sculpt overlookin the rivr = we chased em into this spot - my understanding is "the wall" will be there a few days,, the openin excerizes with the small entourage of Vietnam Vets who followed the wall is over (got it on Vid thou for anyone interested) but def worth a pull in there to pay respects imho...

Glad all is wll,, tks 4 checkin in..

luv Tip, Tweeks n Puc

AWESOME!! Hope you 2 lop eared driften varmints are able to find a clear path up the hill brother - it is GORGEOUS up there!!. Sorry we aint crossed paths - its not my fault bro - its those dad burned heathens on those potato mashin V-Twins that keep goin round n round n round the block = theys to blame - ol desert rats like us dont stand a chance of even findin dinner - LOL..

fyi,, actually tip, tweeks and I done got caught in another one of those high falutin stiff western cross winds,, over n over again = that just keeps happenin = RETIREMENT = GOOD STUFF!!

A real deal south dakotian gentleman bout our age comes walkin over to Tweeksis while she was lappin up 85 octane out in a little cowtown - after takin the last sip of soda from his pop bottle - he looked at me and said "I can see you r not the "normal" rally rider". Then he mentioned somethin about wondering why we were not chasin "the wall".. Of course,, I hadda ask.. He said the Vietnam War Wall was headed across South Dakota!!!!

Having lost friends in that one and havin a tender heart for all who served = Tweeks n i stared at each other,,, then at Tip.. Tips thumbs went up and away we went = caught in another cross wind.... FINALLY FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On your way home - right after you cross the missuri rivr at chamberlin, look up to ur right and u will see the Dignity sculpt overlookin the rivr = we chased em into this spot - my understanding is "the wall" will be there a few days,, the openin excerizes with the small entourage of Vietnam Vets who followed the wall is over (got it on Vid thou for anyone interested) but def worth a pull in there to pay respects imho...

luv Tip, Tweeks n Puc

I stopped at the Vietnam Memorial in Angel Fire, NM on 08 Sturgis adventure and ended up spending the whole day there. If You ever get back down to Taos Canyon area of N M it is well worth the stop.

I stopped at the Vietnam Memorial in Angel Fire, NM on 08 Sturgis adventure and ended up spending the whole day there. If You ever get back down to Taos Canyon area of N M it is well worth the stop.

back at cha bro,,, have done the DC Wall several times = will bring tears the eyes.. This one is diff,, its called "The Healing Wall" and is in constant motion.. One can only hope it serves its intended purpose. Definitely speaks to the heart

I am liking the way you are thinking, Supermans Exray vision. CHFF CHFF Infared Gun. I am also very interested in this too. I really wished I could ride one of these because sometimes I have habit of riding with no socks and in shorts. Now mind you in very short distances, Say if I am gonna go any distance I use Blue jeans and leather Jacket, it is actually called leather shirt its lighter weight then a heavy leather coat.... I look forward to the ride reports, You might ask if it is possible to put 20 lb weight in saddles and 40 in the trunk, The only thing that concerns me is the payload limit, if that is understood correctly. I know on Tinker I have had her loaded a time or two with water for roadside rescue for radiators, unfortunatley that time there was no saving that poor little truck. There was another time I went to a friends house just to get some Well Water, and yes I still love spring water and well water. I will take true spring water over well water any day. All i know is that beats City Water any day. Needless to say I am gonna put my faith in you Puc to be the truth Seeker, and if it is all found to be factual I will break my neck to get this bike... and figure out someway to qualify for it, I love the looks just not the Engine..... this is the only downfall that I have really seen, the other problem will be breaking myself of trying to get High revs, Riding dirt bikes, four wheelers, three wheelers I have always went with high revs and trying to keep below 3000 is going to be a challenge for me. Even when I had my sports cars I drove them up to 5000 before shifting most of the time and backed off in 3rd gear....

Sounds like youse folks are having a great time. Did you get to take a few temps of that cool running V-twin?? Also that Vanderhall looks interesting, but built for someone a bit skinnier and with deep pockets... :whistling:

Stat

AND WE MADE IT!!!! Tweeks is lickin her sore paws (especially her hind legs - that 4th new tire is wayyyy gone!! = time for number 5!!), Tip is takin a well deserved snooze and I am jumping right in here with info hot off the press just cause I love you guys!! @Dragonslayer - the Superman vids are brewing as we speak.. First to pop up here as accepted and upload completed is found below. This will serve as PROOF that I did try to get recorded answers for the questions gang.. The tech guys would NOT allow video taping and would NOT allow temp checking.. I tried.. I should have just done it the first day when one of the demo guys pulled a new bike out just for me to video and take pics of the new one next to Tweeks but I didnt so..

In answers to your questions:

Pay load is under 414 pounds, there is a rack available for the trunk with a 4 pound limit on it - not unlike the original 1st Gen trunk rack- that mounts to a bracket - all available from Mom Yam. I know we use our 1st Gen rack A LOT for hauling two heavy jackets (leather) and sweat shirts - over 4 pounds and never an issue - cant see where this would change with the new one. The techy said its limited because of the added weight "up high" causing handling issues.

No trailer hitch available from Mom Yam. I do have video of the under carriage for @Flyinfool and others who are interested. Will have to wait till I can find that Vid for you guys.

Their answer for being heavy is because of all the new electronics = thats what they said. My own summation is that it has more to do with the xtra charging system (maybe thats what they were trying to say) + the parking assist system.

Had no idea of what rake it was BUT I can say upon riding it that it is definitely plenty - it has that heavy to turn when not moving and very very stable at speed = screams lots of trail and plenty of rake at the neck - rock solid on the open road highway..

There were questions somewhere about the vents on the front - those vents are NOT functional EXCEPT for the bottom two. One of the techs who would not let me record removed the cover on the rights side leggin for me and showed me some of the components encapsulated behind those fake vents. ONLY the bottom two vent holes are operational. There is no hidden pathway for air flow and, as seen in the vids below - the jugs are walled (like a watercooled scoot) for oil cooling - this is a true air cooled engine.

also may wanna note the straight cut gears on the tranny in these vids.. May be noisy BUT - gotta LOVE the strength of a straight cut gear - like the rest of life = its give n take...

and @Dragonslayer,, here is a really good start at those Superman Vids we were talking about!! Deals a deal brother and looky looky = WE DID IT!!! IT"S SUPERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - the ride down Main Street is 15 minutes in length - gonna be a bit for its finished uploading but I will post it up as soon as its done..

luv Tip, Tweeks n Puc

Actually Puc, before I even saw this post tonite, we stopped at that rest area you mentioned 53904bcce76ad0b3359f8988dbd039ef.jpgb425b150a51b2d5425cc66c1f2ac65db.jpg and saw Dignity and the traveling Vietnam tribute. How bout them coincidences [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually Puc, before I even saw this post tonite, we stopped at that rest area you mentioned https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/53904bcce76ad0b3359f8988dbd039ef.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/b425b150a51b2d5425cc66c1f2ac65db.jpg and saw Dignity and the traveling Vietnam tribute. How bout them coincidences [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats no coincident brother,, that there is a simply matter of two great minds,, on two great motorcycles headed in the same great direction and being sharp enough to know to STOP when they see something like that :happy34:

Wasnt that a downright stirring thing to have the privilege to be near? :usa:

and @Dragonslayer,, here is a really good start at those Superman Vids we were talking about!! Deals a deal brother and looky looky = WE DID IT!!! IT"S SUPERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - the ride down Main Street is 15 minutes in length - gonna be a bit for its finished uploading but I will post it up as soon as its done..

Good for subway Sturgis. I'd start using them more around here but all of them are owned by foreigners that don't speak English. :) I hate placing food orders that require so many decisions with someone who doesn't understand what you're saying. That's just me.

Great reporting on the tech things.

Ride on main street was fun. Looks like you Tip and Tweeksis are having a great time.

Still haven't been able to watch all the vids. My phone keeps running out of juice.

Where is the suit traveling next? Any ideas?