IGNORED

2018 Star Venture Owners Manual

For those looking for the manual, here is a link.

I found one of the things I was curious of.

MAX Load is only 408 lbs. There are a lot of couples and some solo's that will not fit under that weight, especially if loaded for a "transcontinental" trip.

Google never heard of that rear tire size. you got people like @cowpuc that is on his 3rd rear tire this season, and he lives where there is no riding for half the year.

Edited by Flyinfool

Google never heard of that rear tire size. you got people like @cowpuc that is on his 3rd rear tire this season, and he lives where there is no riding for half the year.

One thing I have seen on the Stratoliner forum I visit every so often is folks talking about how their Stratoliner eats rear tires, they all attribute it to the available torque, I would expect this new bike to do the same.

I am anxious for someone here to buy one, so I can the scoop on what I need to design a break out and trailer harness for them. Who knows for those transcontinental trips you may need to haul a trailer full tires to get you from coast to coast.

Just some interesting tidbits I found while scanning the owners manual.

Now I see that it also REQUIRES premium gas.

Oh fun, you can lock the keys in the trunk, you can not get them back out without another key.

With any luggage on board the max speed is 80 MPH.

cowpuc ain't gonna like this one, the transmission is pressure lubricated, no coasting, or towing of the bike, with the engine off.

WOW lots of maintenance required, Replace brake lines every 4 years replace master and caliper seals every 2 years.

Sync injectors every 4K miles

3 oil drain points 2 fill point and a screw in dip stick and a screw on filter. Dip stick is in the left saddle bag.

The front brake also activates both fronts and the rear brakes, and the rear brake activates the rear and the front right brake. Neither brake system will give full pressure on their own, you MUST use bot front and rear brakes together to get full pressure to either the front or rear brakes.

If the "Smart Key" battery dies or it malfunctions the process for getting home is a pain.

If you do not turn off your smart key and happen to be close enough to the bike for the key and bike to communicate, like in a restaurant where the bike is just on the other side of the wall, someone could jump on the bike start it and take off. once started it no longer needs the key until it is turned off, then it needs to see the key to restart.

Edited by Flyinfool

MAX Load is only 408 lbs. There are a lot of couples and some solo's that will not fit under that weight, especially if loaded for a "transcontinental" trip.

Google never heard of that rear tire size. you got people like cowpuc that is on his 3rd rear tire this season, and he lives where there is no riding for half the year.

I think most bikes on the road riding two up are way overloaded (according to manufacturers figures).

The Goldwing has a max load rating of 417lb. (couldn't find a figure for the Venture)

Many guys are in the 200- 250lb range (or more) their ladies are probably 150lb or more. Already the bike can easily have 400lb load before any luggage! Take the weights of some of the larger riders out there & those figures can easily be surpassed.

MAX Load is only 408 lbs. There are a lot of couples and some solo's that will not fit under that weight, especially if loaded for a "transcontinental trip

Just checked - max load for a 2nd gen is 419 lbs

Maximum load for a Gen 1 is 386lbs according to the owner's manual.

Also from the Gen 1 manual:

"Do not glide for long periods with the engine off, and do not tow the motorcycle a long distance. Even with gears in neutral, the transmission is only properly lubricated unless the engine in running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission."

Yep, bad grammar in the manual. You'd think these things were made in a foreign country or something!

Edited by BlueSky

Just checked - max load for a 2nd gen is 419 lbs

So with a combined weight of 425lb for me & my wife, without any luggage whatsoever the bike is already 6lb over limit! & Many bikes do not have a load limit that high.

Why in the blue blazes would anyone design an engine now days without fully hyd valve train?? That there is just plain stupid. And add insult to injury 15k on the adjustment? Thats gonna end up being a yearly deal for most. Tires, well a lot of that is how an individual rides. Some of the Victory guys get no miles while others get 8k or more. I dont get the premium gas either. Compression ratios have ben low for years so why lately bikes need hi test I dunno. My Victory is suposed to run 91 but Im lucky to remember and put mis grade.

Google never heard of that rear tire size. you got people like cowpuc that is on his 3rd rear tire this season, and he lives where there is no riding for half the year.

@cowpuc gets lost just chasing his wheel out the driveway too..... but someone like him would have heck of time trying to keep treads on. My ol lady would not be able to get on this bike with me then. I alone weigh 270..... we would be about 50lbs over that limit and with nothing in bags and better get the tools out too.....

Why in the blue blazes would anyone design an engine now days without fully hyd valve train?? That there is just plain stupid. And add insult to injury 15k on the adjustment? Thats gonna end up being a yearly deal for most. Tires, well a lot of that is how an individual rides. Some of the Victory guys get no miles while others get 8k or more. I dont get the premium gas either. Compression ratios have ben low for years so why lately bikes need hi test I dunno. My Victory is suposed to run 91 but Im lucky to remember and put mis grade.

Go ahead and file non-hyd lifters under Retro Charm next to air cooling, points and carbs. My guess is cost of manufacture, besides the dealers will make out alright on all the valve adjustments and heavy maintenance schedules. Air cooling is again probably the reason for hi-test fuel, the compression numbers are not high at all for a modern bike but for an air cooled bike it's up there. Compression = heat, gotta give her a drink that wont detonate when it hits the unreasonably hot (by today's standards) pistons and heads. My buggies and bajas with the air cooled flat fours were good with about 7.3 - 7.5:1 tops on pump gas, my Torino was good with 12:1 on premium. When an engine is properly cooled it is far more forgiving in regards to compression and various induction systems. I'm sure they eeked out every last decimal point of compression they could while not having the top end melt right off the deck in 100 deg weather.

I talk like I hate air cooling but I have a place in my heart for air cooled VWs. Even Porsche ditched air cooling almost 20 years ago and that was one of the halmarks of the 911. World class manufacturers know when it's time to put old tech on the shelf which is why Yamaha's choice to go this route defies explanation. The only way this makes sense is the bike was to obese to add the very modest wt and it would cost more to manufacture, cutting into profits.

Just some interesting tidbits I found while scanning the owners manual.

Now I see that it also REQUIRES premium gas.

Oh fun, you can lock the keys in the trunk, you can not get them back out without another key.

With any luggage on board the max speed is 80 MPH.

cowpuc ain't gonna like this one, the transmission is pressure lubricated, no coasting, or towing of the bike, with the engine off.

WOW lots of maintenance required, Replace brake lines every 4 years replace mater and caliper seals every 2 years.

Sync injectors every 4K miles

3 oil drain points 2 fill point and a screw in dip stick and a screw on filter. Dip stick is in the left saddle bag.

The front brake also activates both fronts and the rear brakes, and the rear brake activates the rear and the front right brake. Neither brake system will give full pressure on their own, you MUST use bot front and rear brakes together to get full pressure to either the front or rear brakes.

If the "Smart Key" battery dies or it malfunctions the process for getting home is a pain.

If you do not turn off your smart key and happen to be close enough to the bike for the key and bike to communicate, like in a restaurant where the bike is just on the other side of the wall, someone could jump on the bike start it and take off. once started it no longer needs the key until it is turned off, then it needs to see the key to restart.

I did see on the gas cap cover the premium fuel requirement also when I was checking out the bike.

Also on the FOB dying, there is a key built into the FOB that can be removed and used to activate the bike from the right saddlebag. Demo guys showed me that one but you are right about the FOB being able to start the bike but the FOB only has a 31 inch range on it, so I dont see it being an issue, as long as you dont leave it in a side pod on the bike all the time.

Rick F.

Edited by cimmer

I talk like I hate air cooling but I have a place in my heart for air cooled VWs. Even Porsche ditched air cooling almost 20 years ago and that was one of the halmarks of the 911. World class manufacturers know when it's time to put old tech on the shelf which is why Yamaha's choice to go this route defies explanation. The only way this makes sense is the bike was to obese to add the very modest wt and it would cost more to manufacture, cutting into profits.

From what I understand, autos with air cooling couldn't meet the emission standards and they had to switch to water cooling.

• 1 month later...

Ohio has no emissions test or for that matter, any type of inspections for motorcycles. There have been a number of new bikes introduced over the past few years that are air cooled and I'm sure that the manufacturers have done a lot of research to make sure that they meet the standards. Yamaha is pretty well known to produce their bikes for a 10 year run so I'm sure that they expect this new one to meet any standards for at least the next 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is not in the saddle bag, not sure where you got that info. It is on the frame at the front of the saddle bag. I do believe you have to open the saddle bag to check the oil.