IGNORED

A different take on the new Venture

baylensman

$26K? I haven't spent that much on all of my bikes added together over 46 years of riding. Ok - I might be cheap, but I've owned quite a few nice bikes. That is nearly twice what my newest car cost - and it has a roof and windshield wipers! And four wheels.

zag

:rotf:

I found a Cycleworld article with a pointer to a Youtube of the Kawasaki being talked about above. It would be hard for me to imagine they were talking about a touring bike from the Utube.

https://www.cycleworld.com/kawasaki-has-supercharged-sport-tourer-set-to-debut

I have been saying for what seems like EVER.. Years ago, after my first encounter with a turbo boosted system I always wondered why we didnt see turbo's on every gas engine made. I have always looked at exhaust gases that spin a turbo as wasted energy,, just something that always bugged me.. Then, years ago, after purchasing our first Korean made car and taking in for a recall on its fuel tank straps = there in the new car show room sat factory, little motored, twin turbo auto's.. I called Tippy over and showed her them and said FINALLY someone is taking turbo charging seriously = LOOK AT THIS!! Now,, years later,, turboing is FINALLY catching on!!

Quite frankly,, I was really really hoping it I was going to be immensely surprised and able to jump up and down out at Americade when Mom Yam introduced the new V-Max motored Venture as their first shot at doing a twin turbo boosted touring bike capable of 55 mpg while also capable of 170 ft pd and 185 horses.. A real deal game changer!!

Fact is, I seriously dont think going toe to toe with Harley on their design at their pricing is even possible = I still think it is a fool's errand to even try.. IMHO, Mom Yam of all corporations should know this = they and the other Japanese manufacturers (and some Domestic too) have been trying it for years with Shadow's, VTX's, Vulcan's, Raider's, Strat's, XCT's, Vision's, Indian's, Intruders and on and on and it never works = even when those clones are priced wayyyyy below those of the Motor Company's line.. When ya think about what I am trying to say,, even the folks at Harley have no clue why what they have works so well = ever notice how every time they (HD) go outside of their archiac play box and try something new it fails for them too (think Buell, think V-Rod, think their 70's Dirt bikes, Armechi 350's,snowmobiles, bicycles, golf carts and on and on)..

I still think it's innovation like this turboing idea that Kawasaki is now talking about is where the future is for anything outside the HD box. Goodness,, think about it = build a precision Tourer that can deliver Yamaha R1 (I like to use the R1 cause I got one, know first hand what they are and wow is it impressive = WOW) like canyon carving and white knuckle producing peppiness to boot along with extreme frugalness in MPG's that only precisionly effecient motors can deliver. IMHO, this is the zone that HD can not play in (all though they had a fairly good start with the V-Rod - wayyyy impressive motor for a V-Twin but NO BODY wanted em so they are no more). A zone completely unknown and not accessible to the long stroke of a big twin air cooled HD = by the law's of physics they cannot go there..

Personally,, I have been back to my normal self with :fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo waiting to see what Honda is going to introduce in a day or so with this new Wing = could be VERY interesting when you think about it because their closest competitor, now that Mom Yam decided to chase HD, for a real deal performance oriented long rider bike is that 160 HP Beemer = I REALLY got my :fingers-crossed-emo that Mom Honda does what Mom Yam chose not to do and actually does take a shot at the title..

Now,, reading and seeing this stuff about where Kawasaki may be headed with their H2 technology = brothers, ol Puc has once again got it happening from ear to ear = :big-grin-emoticon: = happier then a Road Runner on an open desert New Mexico roadway = MEEP MEEP!!

Edited by cowpuc

Puk,

I hear ya, and think you're right on.

However, many motorcyclists are also wrenchers, by inclination or necessity. I will admit that all things otherwise equal, I'll always chose a machine that I can work on, without it requiring a tool set and computer that costs more than the vehicle.

But, I'll be closely watching both Honda and Kawa for what their new bikes deliver.

Our little Chevy Trax has a 1400 cc motor with a little turbo. My demented little brain keeps looking at that little turbo and trying to figure out just where it might fit on my 1st gen. It is pretty close to the correct size. The Trax is slightly more displacement but the V4 can rev higher, so total airflow requirement is pretty close.

Puc I still have to disagree with you on the "physics" of max RPM. There are engines out there that have a bigger bore and a longer stroke than the Yamaharley that will spin well over 5K.

Our little Chevy Trax has a 1400 cc motor with a little turbo. My demented little brain keeps looking at that little turbo and trying to figure out just where it might fit on my 1st gen. It is pretty close to the correct size. The Trax is slightly more displacement but the V4 can rev higher, so total airflow requirement is pretty close.

Puc I still have to disagree with you on the "physics" of max RPM. There are engines out there that have a bigger bore and a longer stroke than the Yamaharley that will spin well over 5K.

WOWZY how I wish we didnt have this pond between us Fool cause you and I could have SOOOOOO much fun putting to test some of our :stirthepot:,, :stickpoke:... Taking it all from campfire debates to out and out man cave exploits would be nothing short of dangerous :rasberry:... Oh well,, it is what it is so we gotta stick with the perverbial hot dog roast banter..

In an effort to support my side of this very interesting, yet formitable debate, I would like to present some background into the testing of my theory and what led me into a deeper understanding of the laws of physics that apply here..

When I was a very young torturer of internal combustion engines mounted on two whe,,,,,,, hey,, wait a second,, I think we are both about to cross into major :hijacked::hijacked: land.. A place that can lead to club probation and I am not sure that you and I could tolerate being locked up together cause I never heard you sing and anyone who gets locked up with me really needs to be able to sing Folsom Prison blues :sign bring it on:... Think we should start a new thread so as to be not rude to Bay...

In the spirit of good form and in accordance with The Code,, I will put forth an effort to start such a thread,, maybe even make it a Poll thread so others can join in and participate with at least a vote of confidence if they dont feel confident enough in their own thoughts on the subject to actually participate in the debate...

What say you? Sound like fun?

Hey Bay,,,, sorry for the hi-jack to this point.. It's a flaw in my character :sign03: