IGNORED

Stereo never did work well

uncledj

The stereo on my 06 Royal Star never did work very well.....The problems I've had with it over the years have pretty much caused me to pretend it's not there, and wear earphones when I ride, and listen to music from my phone, Ipod or GPS.

The biggest issue is that it cuts in / out every few seconds to the point where it's pointless to have it on.

The second issue is that I can't play my GPS through it as the engine noise through the stereo is as loud as the music.

I checked all connections, would've cleaned if I'd found any corrosion, applied a dab of dielectric grease and reassembled....made no difference.

I replaced the stereo unit with a used one from e-bay....made no difference...

Just yesterday I replaced the handlebar mounted control unit....(Boy was that a PITA to route the cable)....made no difference.

As far as the engine noise goes, I put a quality "choke" in the power wire to the GPS.....no difference.

I get the feeling like it has to be a loose connection, because it's definitely worse when moving, but I can't figure out where that connection may be.

Any ideas?

I'd sure like to be able to use the stereo as intended, but am at my wits' end and am tired of splitting this fairing trying to track this down.

Anyone have any ideas?:confused24:

The stereo on my 06 Royal Star never did work very well.....The problems I've had with it over the years have pretty much caused me to pretend it's not there, and wear earphones when I ride, and listen to music from my phone, Ipod or GPS.

The biggest issue is that it cuts in / out every few seconds to the point where it's pointless to have it on.

The second issue is that I can't play my GPS through it as the engine noise through the stereo is as loud as the music.

I checked all connections, would've cleaned if I'd found any corrosion, applied a dab of dielectric grease and reassembled....made no difference.

I replaced the stereo unit with a used one from e-bay....made no difference...

Just yesterday I replaced the handlebar mounted control unit....(Boy was that a PITA to route the cable)....made no difference.

As far as the engine noise goes, I put a quality "choke" in the power wire to the GPS.....no difference.

I get the feeling like it has to be a loose connection, because it's definitely worse when moving, but I can't figure out where that connection may be.

Any ideas?

I'd sure like to be able to use the stereo as intended, but am at my wits' end and am tired of splitting this fairing trying to track this down.

Anyone have any ideas?:confused24:

John, From your description, you've been through about everything I would check for.

Questions:

1: Is the GPS connected through the aux circuit?

2: cuts in and out? Power or signal?

3: Choke in power wire. Good. But. Did you also look into the signal wire? The aux circuit is an unbalanced circuit, so it will pass ignition noise on through the circuit.

Thought: Did you look into re-routing some of the wires or wrapping them with aluminum foil or a metal mesh that you can ground>

More thoughts:

1: Make sure the audio amp ground is good. IE, take it off, use a wire brush to clean both the wire contact and the frame area, put back together.

2: Using an ohm meter, check to see if the signal ground is also the chassis ground. On the OHM setting, put the meter leads on a good known chassis ground, then use like a spare mini plug without wires, or one with a broken off wire (headphones) and check for resistance between the chassis ground and the shield ground...usually the part of the plug closest to the wire end (3rd contact area closest to wire). Do so with the system off. The tip and ring are for left/right signal. Today, and since the beginning of transistorized circuits, some manufacturers tie the signal and chassis grounds together....while others "float" the signal grounds. The latter solution isn't really kosher but works well for the most part. On Motorcycles, where ignition systems/wires run very close to audio, this really isn't a good idea. However, due to circuit design on the amps, etc., you probably shouldn't try to tie the systems together as damage may occur. We simply have no idea how the amp is designed...and no schematics so we could check it out. If we could, the solution could be simple.

Most noise on an unbalanced audio input...ie...the aux circuit on the RSV...is coming/traveling along the shield of the cable and not being grounded before it enters the amp system. The problem is how to stop the noise or at least lower the noise floor so the signal is loud enough to be heard without the noise being a bother. Cranking your GPS volume up would work if you could do that. You added a choke to the power of the GPS, so we know that's not the whole problem.

If you have an adapter system that adds the GPS signal to the 5 pin cable, then the noise problem is within the adapter as the 5 pin system seems to be pretty well built/routed/shielded. Within the adapter is going to be the circuit that mates the two signals and supposedly does so with the proper impedance (level matching) as well as filters the audio from the GPS AND is a grounded/shielded box to protect from stray RF from getting into the adapter circuit board.

That's as far as I can go for now. Awaiting your responses.

david

Edited by videoarizona
clarify

Going to chime in on this one...the dielectric grease... from previous reading does NOT go on the metal connector. It's intention is to go on the rubber "boot" of the connection to prevent moisture getting to the contacts and corroding them.

Thanks for the input. Some good info there.

Since I have it back together, and will be leaving with it Thursday night, I don't think I'll have time to revisit this issue right now.

In a couple of weeks, when things slow down a bit for me, I'll jump back in.

As far as cutting in / out.

It seems to be only the audio. I don't lose any display on the handlebar controller. It happens with all inputs.... Radio, cd, cassette, and aux. Never stays off, but sound goes off on off on off at no consistent time interval and really doesn't seem any worse when going over bumps. When parked, with engine off, the stereo works and sounds great.

I have a short cable that I connect from the GPS audio out (headphone jack) ....(Garmin Zumo fancy schmancy GPS)....Wife paid big $$$ for it as a Christmas gift two years ago. Anyhoo, I connect the GPS to the aux jack next to the cassette. Sounds great when parked with motor off, but fire that beast up and it all goes to hell.

The odd thing is that I can listen to the GPS through earbuds and it sounds fine with the motor running or not.

I thought I had it pinned down last year when I noticed that it seemed to be coming from the volume control of the handlebar controller.

I could get a crackle when changing volume, and it SEEMED like fiddling with the volume knob could get it to stop for a while.

I figured I had a dirty / bad rheostat in the volume control.

That's why I opted to replace it, with no difference in operation.

So after replacing the ? head unit and handlebar controller with USED parts, I've no difference. I'd think that if the used parts I'd installed were bad, I'd at least notice some change in the symptoms of the failure. No change.

As I said, when I get a chance I'll split the fairing AGAIN and check continuity / resistance to ground as suggested. I can do the aluminum foil thing to create a shield, but have to wonder why everyone else isn't having this problem without the need for the shielding......

So for now, it's back to the earbuds and Ipod for this trip I'll be taking up to the Camp with friends.

To be continued.........:680:

Have you checked the antennas and wires.

I'm not sure which wires I should be checking....Do you mean to check for poor connections / shorts / cuts...?

Could any wiring to the antenna affect any other components besides radio ?

If wiring was the problem, why does it work well when the motor isn't running, then crap out when I start the motor?

Wiring and connections look great in the fairing, and I believe last year I checked wiring under the gas tank, and don't know where else I should be looking.

Questions...Questions....Questions....

Have to say, John, you've come up with a good one.

Unless the aux input cable coming into the amp is bad....oh...there is a connector between the two. Dam....just remembered. The aux jack by the cassette door wire runs about 6 inches or so to a female connector that is the wire from the amp. The connector is located about midway between the two. Did you see that and check it?

Regardless...see you when you revisit this after your trip. Have a good one and be safe!

20160827_084613.jpg

My pinkie is touching the aux connector that goes from the amp to the aux plug by cassette.

Have to say, John, you've come up with a good one.

Unless the aux input cable coming into the amp is bad....oh...there is a connector between the two. Dam....just remembered. The aux jack by the cassette door wire runs about 6 inches or so to a female connector that is the wire from the amp. The connector is located about midway between the two. Did you see that and check it?

Regardless...see you when you revisit this after your trip. Have a good one and be safe!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109674

My pinkie is touching the aux connector that goes from the amp to the aux plug by cassette.

Nope, I never noticed the plug, and hence did not check it.

Still don't understand how it can work well with the engine off, then, once running, the stereo cuts out and the GPS sounds like crap when hooked to the aux input.

I'm thinking maybe this IS some sort of grounding or wiring problem.

I seem to remember that the handlebar controller would get warm when I would try to play the stereo, and that didn't seem right.

Like I said, I'll tear back into it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks all :hurts:

Nope, I never noticed the plug, and hence did not check it.

Still don't understand how it can work well with the engine off, then, once running, the stereo cuts out and the GPS sounds like crap when hooked to the aux input.

I'm thinking maybe this IS some sort of grounding or wiring problem.

I seem to remember that the handlebar controller would get warm when I would try to play the stereo, and that didn't seem right.

Like I said, I'll tear back into it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks all :hurts:

Easy answer, with no ignition noise, the audio will be clear as a bell.

You are right....grounding or wiring.

See you when you get back...be safe

...and that place is the best place to install a "Y" connector so you can plug in your GPS or MP3 or satellite receiver, etc into the AUX circuit!!

That is correct. My XM is sitting on that connector. Leaving me the Aux connector by the cassette to use....if I ever need it.

20160827_083045.jpg

I second what OutKast said: Make sure your CB is off. I just had this problem. It was on and caused audio to cut out randomly and often. Acted like a looks connection. Turned off CB.... all better.

AH...good one! The CB squelch will cut the audio signal as signal strength from the CB receiver changes. Never would have thought of that....since I only use CB when with a group.

Good catch!

About a month ago I left W.Ky with a friend on a road trip,me on my Venture and him on a Goldwing. We went thru Tenn. Al. N.Ga and my stereo and CB worked perfectly. When we headed towards Maggie Valley my radio and CB started acting up and I thought the wires under the fairing were loose again. It acted up off and on while we were in the mountains,but when we got back into the flatter parts of Ky it started acting fine and has been fine ever since. We were running the CB's the whole time,I wonder if that's what was going on with mine! It sounded just like a loose wire making connections an then loosing it. Also I run my squelch all the way up to keep from picking up high power line noise.

Could be. The squelch on the cb is set up to override the stereo audio so you don't miss a call. Even with cb volume down, the squelch will cut out audio... You just won't hear anyone calling you.

I always set my squelch pretty tight. ie, you have to be real close before the cb will cut off the audio and I hear you calling me.

Got back from Camp. Had a great weekend, had some great rides, did a little too much drinkin' last nite. (Opened up a jar of real shine and passed it around until it was gone)

Anyhoo.

When I left last Thursday, I was resigned to listening to music from my GPS or phone. I did that for the first hour and a half or so, then figured I'd try the stereo again for the heck of it, and IT WORKED.

I figured it'd work for a short bit then start acting up, but it worked consistently whenever I wanted it throughout the weekend.

As it stands, it appears to have fixed itself, which tells me that whatever the problem was, it'll show up again.

The last thing I did was to replace the handlebar control unit and check wire / plug connections, afterwhich it still had the same problem cutting out. That's how it stood until I tried it again after some time on the road.

I will say I didn't try to hook the GPS into the aux jack, so I don't know the status of that.

Go figure.:confused24:

350 mile ride to get home today, barely dodging the bad weather. I got home, put the bike in the shed, and it was raining before I got in the house.

When I get a minute, I'll try the GPS through the aux jack again.