IGNORED

Are there any symptoms before you lose 2nd gear?

My headline sums it up....I have an '84 Venture Royale with about 24k, my case DOES have the marking, but from what I've read, that doesn't always mean 2nd gear was fixed ( sometimes it means the stator oiler was added).

So, are there any symptoms before 2nd gear drops? Or does it just happen one day?

When mine first started, I noticed that when the bike was partially warmed up and at medium throttle, I could feel it go out and back into gear. This was at 77,000 miles. By the time it got to 82K, 2nd was pretty well unusable.

If you really want to make your bike a better accelerating and a better cruising bike, get a complete trans from a 2nd gen bike and a early V-Max final drive, This gives you a 10% lower 1st gear, 5% lower 2nd, 3rd and 4th are the same and about a 5% higher 5th gear. This is a great combination for the early Venture, whether it is for a second gear fix, or just improving the later 1st gens. I did this on mine and love the combination.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have some good tools and a place to do it, this is not a really hard job. I still have a complete 2nd gen setup out in the garage.

Randy

If you really want to make your bike a better accelerating and a better cruising bike, get a complete trans from a 2nd gen bike and a early V-Max final drive, This gives you a 10% lower 1st gear, 5% lower 2nd, 3rd and 4th are the same and about a 5% higher 5th gear. This is a great combination for the early Venture, whether it is for a second gear fix, or just improving the later 1st gens. I did this on mine and love the combination.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have some good tools and a place to do it, this is not a really hard job. I still have a complete 2nd gen setup out in the garage.

Randy

Will this combo work on the XVZ12 or only on the later 13 engines?