IGNORED

Real stiff front shocks on a Mk2 89

Hi all,

I picked up a 89 venture about a month ago got most of the little stuff worked out but can not get the front forks to work right for me they are real stiff as in almost rock hard, when riding the bike the front will bounce up and down.

I changed the oil to 10w no change in the handling, took out the progressive springs put in stock springs still wrong just weaker.

I also disconnected the anti dive, no change.

So I wanted to know the effect on a bike if the "cups" that hold the wave washers were installed wrong if that would make the forks stiff. Not sure where else to go with this, I ride a 83 venture every day with progressive springs so I know what the 89 should feel like.

Thanks Mike.

If CLASS is working then you can add up to about 12 psi of air to them.

On a 1.2 like your 89, capping the anti-dive means it's full-time anti-dive mode, opposite from the 83.

Of course you can leave the anti-dive unit on and just unplug the electrics, that way it can still circulate fluid to the lower chamber.

Hi all,

I picked up a 89 venture about a month ago got most of the little stuff worked out but can not get the front forks to work right for me they are real stiff as in almost rock hard, when riding the bike the front will bounce up and down.

I changed the oil to 10w no change in the handling, took out the progressive springs put in stock springs still wrong just weaker.

I also disconnected the anti dive, no change.

So I wanted to know the effect on a bike if the "cups" that hold the wave washers were installed wrong if that would make the forks stiff. Not sure where else to go with this, I ride a 83 venture every day with progressive springs so I know what the 89 should feel like.

Thanks Mike.

The anti dive is still in place I just unpluged them, It's just the super stiff action of the forks I can't understand why they act that way. If I have to pull them apart I will but my hope is that somebody has had the same issue and that way I don't miss something and have the same problem after I do all the work for nothing.

I put in 405 cc in each fork. no air.

This morning I remover the super brace as I read that may cause a problem, still the same.

When you put in the 405 cc's did you happen to check how full the forks were from the top while compressed with no spring installed? That is the most recommended method. The height from the top to the oil is 5.5" with OEM springs and 5.5" - 6" with Progressive springs.

Putting in a fixed amount of oil in each fork is open to uncontrollable variables such as some old oil still in the fork and a possible difference in the thickness of the springs, one side to the other. I would say for proper operation the two forks need to work exactly the same.

I would be interested in knowing how a super brace would affect the shock compression rate. The only thing that comes to mind is a super brace is far less flexible than the OEM brace and might possibly not flex enough to mitigate unequal fork performance.

Oh yah, it's damping not dampening. Hahahahaha.

If I ever get round to pulling the old set apart I will let you all know what I find. the only thing I saw was the set were made by someone called Frank.
That would be Forking by Frank which is a family owned business in Illinois that has been around since 1966. I bought a pair of his forks for my Virago about 12 years ago.