IGNORED

Been holding back all day, but I just gotta tell it now.

grubsie

Before any judgement is taken. this is not a bashing session. Just an experience.

I have the luxury of riding any one of my bikes most everyday, all day long depending on the weather getting my work done. Sometimes if local I switch up bikes. I am in construction sales and that means appointments all over New England. Mostly in New Hampshire and Mass, with the occasional trip to Maine, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Anyway, I had a fairly local appointment today on my 08 RSV. I had time to kill afterwards so I decided to go to the nearby Harley Dealer to get the badly needed rubber muffler mounts for my 97 Road King.

Of course, when I pulled in the parking lot, I was the only Yamaha there. As I approached the entrance, there were a couple of salesman outside. One of them asked me what my bike was and the year. He said it was in really nice shape. (Should be, only 7K miles on it.) Anyway, I told him it was an 08 RSV with 7k on it.

He then asked me if was coming in to get a better ride.:rotf: I looked at him and asked " You got something here that rides better than that bike? I don't see anything here." The look on his face was like a deer in headlights. He asked me if I have ever ridden a Harley cause nothing rides like them. Told him I have a Road King it doesn't ride anywhere as nice as my RSV. Then I walked past him and went inside.

Got to the parts counter and told the sales person what I was looking for. he said, "You have a Road King? You need to see something." Then proceeded to walk me over to a kind of Road King that had a (I don't know) street glide rear end with a Road King front end in a yucky olive green paint scheme that was blah blah this, on special at only 18K, blah blah that. I stopped him dead in his tracks and asked him why he was showing me this bike if I was only there to get some muffler mounts.

I told him unless he was giving me the bike for free, I wasn't interested, especially seeing that the first thing I would have to do is repaint it. Told him the only bikes I buy are the ones I can pay cash for.

I hate auto and bike salesman more than any other profession. No, I mean really do. Now it was time for some fun. Told him I had something to show him. Dragged him outside to my RSV. Told him when I bought it, it had under 4K miles on it. Paid $4300.00 for it. Told him that the only money I put into it was for new tires and a battery and changed the fluids. Even offered him a test ride which he refused. Then asked him, now why would I want to invest 18K in a bike that doesn't even compare to the ride in what I have that is fully paid for. Total blank on his face.

Anyway, got back to the parts counter with this parts/bike sales person and they didn't have the $6.00 parts in total I needed which is a very common part that needs to be replaced on these bikes regularily. Figures.

It was one thing listening to the sales person outside when I was walking into the building, but I was really shocked that the parts people were sales people also. I know HD is all about sales but really? I walk into my local Yamaha dealers building and nobody bothers me. Course, they see me so often, they know I am only going to the parts desk anyway.

When my hubby was thinking of taking up riding a few yrs ago he wanted to give all bikes a fair shake. The Harley dealer is next door to the Not Harley dealer (they sell almost everything else) so we went to HD 1st and looked at bikes and sat a few. And after the 4th or 5th bike a sales guy told us we weren't their type of ppl and to get off the bikes and leave and come back when we were ready to be real Harley people. Mike said some choice words and told the sales guy if he never bought a bike he'd be ok with knowing he didn't own an HD based on the level of customer service they showed him.

He ultimately bought the Volusia from a private owner, but he refuses to buy HD.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

We just had a new employee hired were I work. I walked in to work one day after parking my 1st gen beside this guys new Harley (now I have nothing against Harley, never rode one so can't judge.) When I walked in a couple of my non-biker co-workers commented about this guys Harley and would I not sooner ride a big Harley than a little Yamaha. I said to them walk out with me and let me show you something. They did not know what to say when I pointed out the Harley which was was clearly smaller in size than my 1st gen MKII. and asked, how do see that bike as being bigger than mine? SILENCE was the answer. It is amazing how the word Harley seems to mean Bigger and better even to the non-riding folks.

Edited by saddlebum

You've got to hand it to HD, they did one helluva brainwashing (sorry "marketing") job on the public.

Even though they were using 40 year old technology they still managed to brainwash (sorry, convince) people that they were somehow "the best" (they also played a lot imo on patriotism) & keeping things American. People bought into it in a big way.

I agree that some HD Stealerships are arrogant as are some car/truck stealerships. I know I could easily afford a HD, but why? when I can have the same fun on a bike costing less than half the price? Just so I can say I ride a HD?... I don't think so!

Did anyone happen to notice that they (Harley Davidson) are preparing a bid to buy Ducati? (which is currently owned by Audi & VW) One has to wonder why as the Ducati & HD bike lines/ models would seem to have very little in common.

Edited by Kretz

We just had a new employee hired were I work. I walked in to work one day after parking my 1st gen beside this guys new Harley (now I have nothing against Harley, never rode one so can't judge.) When I walked in a couple of my non-biker co-workers commented about this guys Harley and would I not sooner ride a big Harley than a little Yamaha. I said to them walk out with me and let me show you something. They did not know what to say when I pointed out the Harley which was smaller than my 1st gen MKII. and asked, how do see that bike as being bigger than mine? SILENCE was the answer. It is amazing how the word Harley seems to mean Bigger and better even to the non-riding folks.

You should have pointed out that yours is a 4 cylinder liquid cooled bike.

Did anyone happen to notice that they (Harley Davidson) are preparing a bid to buy Ducati? (which is currently owned by Audi & VW) One has to wonder why as the Ducati & HD bike lines/ models would seem to have very little in common.

For the same reason they owned MV Agusta a few years back? The Duc partnership makes more sense though as they have the same "religious" following, marketing & merchandise scheme going as The Motor Company.

I was next to Harley at stop light and I just don't see how the motors don't jump off the frame the way they shake.... Back to topic I am so sick of being asked when am I going to buy a real bike. I just give them same answer I have one and she gets and goes. Why would I want anything else.... Right now she is mad at me because I haven't put her cleaned and rebuilt carbs on her. She just a back talked away today so had to put her up but before I did I had 10 people tell me that they liked my bike, either nice bike, cool bike etc.... So stick that in your exaust pipes Harley. Think the guy on the harley at the pump behind me was peturbed when a kid said how awesome my bike was and he said something along the lines of its not Harley. The kid told him those are all the same lmao...:rotf::rotfl: This is true story kid even asked what I paid for mine... told him I didn't even know no more but it was well worth it

Over the past 12 years I'd say I've visited the same Harley shop at least 3 times on average. sometimes to buy something, at least once each year to attend 'Demo Days', and other times just to drop in and see what's happening.

Some of the sales guys and parts guys have been there from day one 12 years ago so I'm a familiar face to some of them. While I had my '06 RSMV they were always trying to get me to 'buy a real bike' .... Then I got my Victory and guess what .... all of a sudden I was invisible!

Dunno what that implies but I sure find it interesting.

You've got to hand it to HD, they did one helluva brainwashing (sorry "marketing") job on the public.

Even though they were using 40 year old technology they still managed to brainwash (sorry, convince) people that they were somehow "the best" (they also played a lot imo on patriotism) & keeping things American. People bought into it in a big way.

I agree that some HD Stealerships are arrogant as are some car/truck stealerships. I know I could easily afford a HD, but why? when I can have the same fun on a bike costing less than half the price? Just so I can say I ride a HD?... I don't think so!

I may be wrong but i was under the impression or at least heard somewhere that the Honda shadow had more American content than the Harley :think:

I may be wrong but i was under the impression or at least heard somewhere that the Honda shadow had more American content than the Harley :think:

Well I was going to say something along those lines (I had heard that a lot of HD stuff now comes from "outside of the USA") but I don't have the details or any hard facts so thought I'd :ignore: just stay quiet on that score

It's an ages old battle. Going back to the 90's. At poker runs and shows people always stop and look at my bikes (whichever i happen to own at the time, alway big Yamahas) I get oh's and ah's and nice bike from most folks, then some look it over and see the Yamaha on the case covers and the refrain is always the same, " Oh its just a Harley wanna be" Usually I ignore it, but every once in a while I can't let it go. So my first question is what do your ride? 90% of the time "Oh I don't have a bike" or " I used to have a Honda-BSA-Dirt bike" When the response is "i'd rather not ride japanese junk" I uncork on that sucker. Give him both barrels so to speak. Performance the edge is to the bigger Yamaha, handling again the Yamaha, cost blows 'em out of the box. Then I talk reliability and 5 year warranty with unlimited milage versus 1 year with a deductible and a max milage unless you pay extra.

One time a guy got back on my case about overseas jobs. Oh boy, I hit him back with Yamaha America employs more people than Harley, the dealer network is wider and employees more folks at better wages. That's the only time I really got angry at a knuckle head, he raised his voice and stepped up!! So did I! 6 foot tall and 280#'s with a 56 inch chest right in his face. He turned and walked away muttering something about Jap lover or whatever. Since then I don't let it bother me.

Just my thoughts on this, as a bunch of you know I ride a lot of miles. I have put 170,000 miles on 2 different Ventures over the last 7 years and love the bikes. That being said after I totaled mine in May I decided I wanted to try something else. I bought a 2012 Vulcan 1700 Nomad and I gotta tell you it rides better and handles better than either of my ventures did. Not knocking the RSV because I love them and probably will own another one at some point. This is just an Obsevation on my part. Atually I was a liittle surprised at this

vulcan1.jpg

Just my thoughts on this, as a bunch of you know I ride a lot of miles. I have put 170,000 miles on 2 different Ventures over the last 7 years and love the bikes. That being said after I totaled mine in May I decided I wanted to try something else. I bought a 2012 Vulcan 1700 Nomad and I gotta tell you it rides better and handles better than either of my ventures did. Not knocking the RSV because I love them and probably will own another one at some point. This is just an Obsevation on my part. Atually I was a liittle surprised at this

Love that Nomad, that's what I was looking for one when my RSTD fell into my lap. I've only ridden an older 1500 (the 1600 is similar) & it was a great bike to ride & didn't feel top heavy (which can't be said about an RSTD)

But Vulcan your's isn't stock is it? Up here the 1700 Nomad doesn't have the "armchair" for the passenger, or the front fairing, just a big padded backrest & stock plastic screen.

Love that Nomad, that's what I was looking for one when my RSTD fell into my lap. I've only ridden an older 1500 (the 1600 is similar) & it was a great bike to ride & didn't feel top heavy (which can't be said about an RSTD)

But Vulcan your's isn't stock is it? Up here the 1700 Nomad doesn't have the "armchair" for the passenger, or the front fairing, just a big padded backrest & stock plastic screen.

No it isn't stock... The previous owner added the Batwing Fairing, The Voyagers Trunk and Backrest, He also added a 200 watt Bluetooth stereo system, Vance and Hines Exhaust and a Dynajet Cmmander ECM controller.

You said you paid $4300 for an 08 Venture remarkable, and it had only 4K on it when you bought it double remarkable. Now it has only 7k. Want your $4300 back?:whistling:

Reading back through this thread I realized my mistake in the mileage. It had just under 5K miles when I bought it. After today, it's now got 7500 miles on it. It was such a great riding day. A little cool in the AM then the high was around 70. Best riding weather ever. Even got all my appointments accomplished!

Like I tell people all the time "I don't make mistakes. I am the mistake. That covers everything."

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109525

Kawasaki hit a home run with the Vulcan. Not the Vulcan Voyager, which is still more reliable than any hardley. My 2000 Vulcan 1500 is fuel injected with add on LED lights, air horn, VH long shots, kuryakyn waterproof speakers and more. I would challenge any HD rider, on any HD bike to go toe to toe, mile for mile with me. Those liquid cooled Vulcans ride smooth, have great response, good power and will run forever without losing any of the fillings in your teeth as well as not losing any nuts, bolts and parts along the way. Oh...no oil leaking either.

image.jpg

PS: great looking Nomad ya have there

I have been looking at the Vulcan Nomads for a little bit now. I ride my 08 RSV almost exclusively now but have been looking for something for around town/quick jaunts, hence the Nomads. Finally sold my 02 RSV last night, WooHoo! and hoping to sell my 97 Harley Road King that I bought this early spring for in town/ quick jaunts that I am not liking at all. Wish I never bought it.

So hopefully I can sell the Road king soon. With the cash from the 02 RSV and from the Road King, I am hoping to pay cash for a Vulcan Nomad. I never own any motorcycle that I can't pay cash for so I have to sell that damn Road King.

Glad to see such good reviews for a Vulcan on a Yamaha forum.

I really like the Nomad, one thing to watch... a friend had a 1999 model 1500cc, not sure when they changed the design (I'm thinking early 2000's) but some (including his) had a plastic oil pump gear, this eventually wears out or breaks & is an engine out/ split to replace. There is a guy in the US that makes a revised oil pump gear but it's a lot of $$$ but less than an engine rebuild. My buddy fixed his with this solution & it seems to have worked. Like I say not sure of the year bikes it affected. Annoying thing is in the USA the repair was done by Kawasaki regardless of the bikes age, but here in Canada nix, nothing, nada it's sadly up to the owner.

I was actually looking to buy a vulcan myself when the venture got between me and the vulcan so I taught it a lesson and took possession of it. 12 years later still clinging on to it.

Geez you'd think I was talking about my wife wouldn't you. But that's another, longer story. Come November 25th she will have had possession of me for 40 years.

I enjoy watching people when I stop somewhere. If there happens to be a chance of others catching me and getting there first! People will go around and look at the bikes, except the Spyder. Well some actually come and take a closer look, but most will give constant sideways glances at the Spyder, like as if they are not supposed to look at it, but if nobody was watching they might actually go over to it and give it a real close look. And when they do ask? I tell them it's the greatest thing going and I would never go back to 2 wheels, and I should have done this a long time ago, but then they didn't make them when I was young.