IGNORED

05 RSV quit on me, any suggestions?

Went out on Saturday for about 350 miles everything was good. Got on it this morning to go to work and it started right up. As soon as I put it in 1st gear it quit. Turns over real good, battery full charge, all fuses good, all lights, radio, horn, etc. work. Seems like it's not getting any spark, any suggestions on what would give out instantly like that would be greatly appreciated. Thx

With the kill switch on it will not turn over, but it turns over very strong with the kill switch off. Kickstand up or down, in neutral it still turns over. Turn the ignition switch on and everything works like it should. Seems like it's not getting a spark at the plugs. :confused:

Tomorrows another day

Thx guys

I was thinking kill switch in the first part of your post when you mentioned putting it in gear, but now thinking fuel pump. Do you hear the pump running when you first turn the key? Symptoms sound like mine. Sometimes would start right up, put it in gear to go and die. Other times, engine would spin and spin and nothing. Then sometimes fire up again. They just up and quit at a moments notice. You could try disconnecting the hoses at the pump and coupling them together with a piece of tubing to see if the bike will start without the pump. You will need a fairly full tank of gas to allow gravitational pressure to feed the carbs. If it starts and stays running, the pump is bad.

There's 2 current threads on fuel pumps going on right now.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?123606-Fuel-Pump-Issue

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?130145-Mystery-fuel-issue

Edited by grubsie

My first guess is the kickstand switch being defective...

Usual suspects when the motor dies when going into gear are the kickstand switch, ignition switch and the two kill switches.... One on handlebar and the other for roll over. They are all tied together electrically to stop the motor. But the way some of our circuits are wired, that's the process I would use to trace the problem.

The handlebar switch gets dirty, the kickstand switch gets dirty(1st choice) or has a bad connection, the roll over switch dies, the ignition switch gets burned contacts because to much current goes through there.

The rest I mentioned are for you to check the connections and clean.

If the starter motor is turning the engine over then it is not any of the kill switches, not the side stand switch, not the clutch kill switch, not the kill switch on the right handle bar, all of those inhibit the starter motor from turning over.

If the starter is spinning the engine and it is not starting there are 4 possibilities.

1) No fuel getting to the cylinders, very possible.

2) No spark at the plugs, very possible.

3) No compression in the cylinders, highly unlikely.

4) No air getting into the cylinders, highly unlikely.

As the bike was running at first then quit , I would suspect no fuel first then look at the possibility of no spark.

Fuel pumps on these bikes go bad as has been evidenced on this forum many times.

Those are my thoughts hopefully helpful.

Well, the fuel pump runs when the key is turned on and I can smell gas from all the attempts to start it. I am not getting a spark at the plugs. What could possibly kill all 4 plugs at once? Have not yet removed the tank or seat, but went through all the connections under the side covers and the lower cowling.:confused24:

Well, the fuel pump runs when the key is turned on and I can smell gas from all the attempts to start it. I am not getting a spark at the plugs. What could possibly kill all 4 plugs at once? Have not yet removed the tank or seat, but went through all the connections under the side covers and the lower cowling.:confused24:

In your first post, you said the motor turns over but doesn't start. If that is still the case, go back to the switches mentioned. They will kill all four cylinders. Not much else can take out the entire ignition system unless the TCI computer went out or a fuse/connection is out to lunch in the ignition circuit.

If that is not the case now, then Steve is right....look elsewhere..

Still nothing, fuel pump runs, just did the points on it last year. took the kickstand switch apart, cleaned reassembled, tested ok, kickstand down bike turns over, put it in gear, nothing, pull clutch in and it turns over. Kickstand up, in neutral, turns over, still no spark. Kill switch on handle bars seems to be functioning properly. Is there a way to check the TCI computer? And thanks for all the suggestions guys, really appreciate that.

I can't remember exactly what the symptoms of a bad ignition switch were... heck I can barely remember what I did yesterday... but a while back someone came up with an emergency by-pass wire that will get a bike running again. A search on here might bring up the posts.. A few guys just went ahead and left the wire in permanently, and others have them squirreled away in a saddle bag. Cheaper than popping for a new switch.. Basicall the ignition switch has 12vdc running through it and they wear out. :backinmyday:

OK, I kind of doubt your issue is with the Ignitor unit seeing as the bike does run. Based on the symptoms you are listing, the next thing to look at is a rather expensive unit called the Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay Assembly and it is located in the same area as the fuel pump and gas filter area, and is mounted via a rubber strap on a metal hanger, and has been known to fall off its mount and lay on the engine and melt the plastic housing! It tends to give some strange symptoms a little different from yours, but it is something to look at! If you take off the two false battery covers and the plastic front cover under the seat and pull out your overflow canister for the cooling system and a few other things you may be able to finally see it! The unit itself could be defective from one or more of the internal diodes being bad, but that is not a common failure.

When you checked the side stand switch for continuity did you see as close to zero ohms on the lowest scale as possible?? Even a small resistance like 4 ohms can mean the circuit will not function properly and give you the symptom where as soon as you let the clutch out with the bike in gear even though the kickstand is physically up, it will kill the ignition because it sees that low resistance as an open circuit. This is a fairly common failure with many Yamaha systems. What you can do as a troubleshooting technique is to directly short out the switch but be warned that this WILL enable you to start the bike in gear with the clutch engaged from what I remember!!!

Maybe there is someone on the board that has an ignition module left over from when then put a DYNA 3K in that they would loan you to verify if it is the ignition control module or not. It could be as BongoBob said the starting circuit cutoff relay, there are about 6 diodes in there and it is possible it went bad, but that failure is rare in my recollection, as is a failed ignition module.

On my '07, I was already 4 miles away from home and then the engine died. Lights were there, battery in good health but the engine just died for no reason. I coasted on the side of the road and waited for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what happened. I really thought I may have hit the kill switch accidentally, but that was not the case. After cranking the engine for about 5 times, the engine went back to life and off I go to my destination. The following day, I decided to replace my fuel filter and it has never occurred ever since. Just wanted to share...

• 2 weeks later...

Could a bad pick up coil be affecting the igniter unit? Had my son(Audi Mechanic) helping me check things yesterday and he said the pick up coil is showing that it's open and that it shouldn't be. Still not getting any spark at the plugs. What next? Electrical is my weak point. :confused07:

Well, if he is absolutely certain that the pickup coil is open then, of course, that could be the cause! Without timing signals from the pickup coil, the ignitor never knows when to generate a spark so it doesn't!!

Just in case your son needs it, here's a link to the wiring diagram from this site!

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

Well, I am late to this game, and I only quickly scanned all the posts after the OP - but just based on the initial information (started fine and died when put into gear), it seems to me to be almost certainly an issue with one of the interlock switches (clutch, sidestand, neutral), or the starter relay (which actually contains three relays related to the interplay of those three interlock switches). There are also a couple of diodes in those circuits. One big disclaimer here - all this is just from faded memory - I have not pulled out the schematics to refresh anything!

I have never seen one of those diodes go bad, and it is very rare for the relay to go out. Smart money here is on either the sidestand or neutral switch.

Goose

Well after checking switches and relays numerous times, my son and I decided to go after the pick up coil. What a project, and now that I have that out I might as well replace the stator now that I'm in there. 13 years old, 66,000 miles, for a couple hundred bucks I would hate to have to go through this again. Definitely a winter project, loosing a lot of riding time. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out, waiting on parts.

i have several spare parts if you want to test anything? i am just down the road.

Thanks for offering parts for testing. Right now bike is all apart waiting for pick up coil and stator to arrive, hopefully by tomorrow. If I still have problems after I get it back together I might take you up on that offer.