IGNORED

Showing appreciation for our vets.

uncledj

I finally moved Dad in with us a couple of weeks ago. He's a WWII Vet, served in Italy.

He wears his WWII Vet hat most of the time and often gets comments from folks, thanking him for his service.

A few weeks back at a restaurant a gentleman thanked him for his service and payed for his meal.

Yesterday I took Dad for a haircut, and a young man thanked him for his service and payed for his haircut.

When the opportunity presents itself, I do the same for vets. I want to let them know that what they've done is appreciated, and I get the added benefit of feeling good about doing a good thing.

As far as dad goes, he deeply appreciates it when someone thanks him, and it makes his day when someone goes the extra mile and offer a gesture such as a meal, or haircut, or whatever.

SO

If you're able, and if the opportunity presents itself, make such a gesture to a vet of any age. It'll be much appreciated, and it's a great way of paying it forward.:2cents:

A sincere THANKS to all our Vets !!!:usa:

Seen this kind of attitude several times and I have done it several times my self but for some reason when I see it happen to another vet it gives me a better feeling than if, I had done it myself or had it happen to me. It is also even sweeter when it happens to our older vets. If you want to bring a smile and possibly a tear to a vet let a younger person such as a grandchild or child do it, with your money of course. It shows the vet that we appreciate them and teaches the young person to appreciate. Thanks for posting and letting me ramble I must be feeling a little grateful this morning. :2cents:

I was out over by Lakeland where the Victory dealer is. I stopped in on the way home to Stake N Wait. Fellow sitting alone in booth across from me was finishing up his burger. I noticed a Viet Nam vet hat on the table with a USAF pin on it. I saw his bike out in the lot too. I said hi and some small talk. Told him thank and he was modest about it. I said let me get that brother, he said thats OK. I told him I was retired USAF and showed him my name badge I wear on my Hi Vis vest. He had a good chuckle and said only if I can buy yours. So we just passed checks. But I am said to say I dont do it enough. The Viet Nam guys got a raw deal in my book, the way they were treated by the public back then. It all seemed to turn around after Desert Storm. Oh well enough rambling.

On Sunday (Fathers Day), I went to the local airport as a member of the local PGR group to welcome home a Group of WWII and Korea veterans. They had spent the weekend in Washington DC seeing the memorials and other sites as part of the Honor Flight program. I have attended may of these Honor Flights in the last few years and I must say it was the highlight of my Fathers Day. I always look forward to attending these homecomings. Many of these veterans never had a welcome home gala and now they are getting what is rightfully theirs. As a Vietnam vet, I came home in civilian clothes and arrived in the middle of the night to avoid any problems or confrontations.

Thank you, John, for doing what you are to honor heroes like your father.

Jim