IGNORED

Only get spark on one coil

I have a 1983 Yamaha Venture 1200 gen 1 it sat fore 7 yrs or so not runniit only fires on 1 cylinder fires sometimes on 2 so I changed out some coils did some testing figured my pick up coils are bad but can't find any parts been looking around for a while any help would be great full

The most likely cause of your problem is that the carbs are gummed up with crud from old gasoline. You're message heading says only spark to 1 cylinder, and then in the body of the message you say that it's only hitting on 1 or 2 cylinders. Did you check for spark on all 4 cylinders? Take an old sparkplug, and put it in each plug wire and make sure the base is grounded to the engine. Crank it over for a couple of seconds and see if you do have spark. Check this on all 4 cylinders. If you really only have spark on 1 cylinder, you probably have a TCI (Transistor controlled ignition) module that bit the dust.

Frank D.

Yes I checked spark on all 4cylinders everything ohms out what's weired when it hits on number 2 cylinder the starter makes a clunk nois then back to normal I had the carbs gone through fresh gas no cloggs or gummbed up the pick up coils check out all connections are clean and tight the only thing I can think of is the cdi box is bad

well its a bear to get too but you need to move it anyway. Take tci unscrew the box open it and see if its wet or green or burnt spots. then relocate it to top of air box. I just Velcro mine to air box lid. Clean as many connections as possible. Check ground locations.

Oh I know what u mean I had it out today looking at it and it's all corroded up and stuff on the inside this box is a mess think I'm going to order one I've read that dingy sells aftermarket cdi boxes does he still sell them and how do I get ahold of him