IGNORED

Roadside: 1990 no response from started button

Stopped for gas, no problems whatsoever prior to stopping and now when I try to start the bike there is no response when I press the start button. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Stand is up, transmission in neutral, key is all the way over to on (right). Gear indicator is showing N, clutch is pulled in. When I put the kill switch to run position I hear a click from the dash but no clicking from the fuel pump.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by suds

When you press the start button, does the headlight go out? It is supposed to, so if it isn't then the switch is to blame. When you turn the key from off to run, do you hear anything at all from the fuel pump?? It should click for less than 5 seconds and then turn off. If it was running fine when you shut the bike off to gas up, I kind of doubt you have any sort of blown fuse, but then again anything is possible. As long as the bike is in neutral AND the clutch is depressed, it should crank even if the kickstand switch has gone bad...

If your headlight goes out when you press the start button, maybe your solenoid took a dump. What does your battery measure with a voltmeter with ignition off, ignition on, and with the start switch pressed? Maybe your battery has gone south. You should see around 13 volts with the bike turned off, at least 12.5 volts with the key on, and maybe 11 volts with the start switch pressed. If your battery is diving to under 9 volts with the start switch pressed, your battery probably is weak and does not have enough power to turn the starter motor over...

When you press the start button, does the headlight go out? It is supposed to, so if it isn't then the switch is to blame. When you turn the key from off to run, do you hear anything at all from the fuel pump?? It should click for less than 5 seconds and then turn off. If it was running fine when you shut the bike off to gas up, I kind of doubt you have any sort of blown fuse, but then again anything is possible. As long as the bike is in neutral AND the clutch is depressed, it should crank even if the kickstand switch has gone bad...

If your headlight goes out when you press the start button, maybe your solenoid took a dump. What does your battery measure with a voltmeter with ignition off, ignition on, and with the start switch pressed? Maybe your battery has gone south. You should see around 13 volts with the bike turned off, at least 12.5 volts with the key on, and maybe 11 volts with the start switch pressed. If your battery is diving to under 9 volts with the start switch pressed, your battery probably is weak and does not have enough power to turn the starter motor over...

Headlight is not on when: key is on, in neutral, stand is up, kill switch is in run position. Push the start button=nothing happens

The headlight is not on at any time??? Well then, most likely a weak battery!! Either the battery is toast or you have a bad connection. So, when you turn the key on, do you have a lit up neutral light?? Does anything work at all like turn signal, horn, radio, or is it like the headlight and is dead??

You really need to put a voltmeter across the battery and read some voltages like I suggested...

Sorry, had to run kids around and such... Ok, voltages are all good. It seems the start switch is messed up. It's sticking or catching on something. I got the bike started and the headlight was behaving properly once I figured out how to jiggle the switch the right way.

Now the question I have is: is there a trick to getting the assembly off so I can get at the start switch and find out what's going on inside. I'm starting my search but if anyone can point me in the right direction to help me cut down on the time it'll take me to figure out how to get this off, I'd be grateful for the help. 😊

I had the same thing happen on my 92--carefully took switch apart and found the switch had stuck and melted the contacts,and the return spring got so hot it lost all it`s tension,found a spring that would work cleaned the contacts reassembled and it has been working ever since,as a precaution I installed a remote push button switch next to my air filter that I can reach through the gas door.

I had the same thing happen on my 92--carefully took switch apart and found the switch had stuck and melted the contacts,and the return spring got so hot it lost all it`s tension,found a spring that would work cleaned the contacts reassembled and it has been working ever since,as a precaution I installed a remote push button switch next to my air filter that I can reach through the gas door.

Edited by suds

I managed to get the throttle cables off the grip... trick seemed to be to remove the rear cable first. Took the entire unit apart, cleaned up everything, used some dielectric grease on reassembly and everything seems to be functioning properly. Yay!

Thanks to everyone that offered assistance to me, I appreciate everything the members here do to help each other out, especially the less experienced people like myself.

Ride on!