IGNORED

Slip On Mufflers for Venture

Trash Man

Fixing to purchase a 2000 Royal Star Venture LE. Definitely want to upgrade Mufflers. I Love the sound of Monster Ovals from V&H but the price is quite staggering. Suggestions on a slip on that really changes the tone like the Monsters but much more affordable. LA Choppers sound good and look good, would like to hear what ya done. Are any modifications needed, what size, tuning needed, etc. Please let me know, Thanks

Just about any HD muffler will work you just need a set of hanger brackets and clamps. I have seen a few use (P) clamps as hangers off the saddlebag rail. I have a set of pipes here but they are obnoxiously loud that my brother made for mine before I bought it from him.

Don't give up on your search for the Ovals. I found a used pair on ebay last year that I got for $250.00 including shipping. The only thing wrong with them was the chrome on the tail caps was peeling. A quick sand blast and black heat paint solved the issue.

If you find a pair, just note that in stock form, the Ovals create a harmonic tone at certain rpms that is very annoying to the point that they will create headaches on a day long ride. It's kind of like a tuning fork that hurts your ears. That being said, I discovered some baffles from SmartParts that take 10 minutes to install that take care of problem. My pipes sound better now than anything else I have tried.

Here's a link to the baffles. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html

If you are not going to go to the Ovals, LA Choppers is the next best option......... but they are not Ovals sound.

I have DNA fish tail slip on mufflers. I like the sound but maybe a bit loud for some. They are made for HD so I did have to fabricate a L bracket (I used stainless flat bar) to hang them under the bags.

They aren't obnoxiously loud when cruising and idle sounds badass. They sure do bark when you give it heaps.

$198.95 USD for the pair.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have DNA fish tail slip on mufflers. I like the sound but maybe a bit loud for some. They are made for HD so I did have to fabricate a L bracket (I used stainless flat bar) to hang them under the bags.

They aren't obnoxiously loud when cruising and idle sounds badass. They sure do bark when you give it heaps.

$198.95 USD for the pair.

c10c7b9ecdb9de77679437263a178a3a.jpg

I have LA Choppers on my RSTD, look ok & sound good without being too raucous, my wife who rides pillion says she doesn't find them overly loud. They do change the tone & are more growly than stock. I did put the baffles (perforated tubes) in & wrapped them with the correct muffler insulation. Very easy to put on too.

A common swap are the HD Road King mufflers which can be had for anywhere from free to $100. Do a search here for RK muffler or Road King as there as certain serial numbers on them that are preferred.

There's also a link to brackets that you can either buy or make yourself (very easy) as well as clamp types that work well.

A common swap are the HD Road King mufflers which can be had for anywhere from free to $100. Do a search here for RK muffler or Road King as there as certain serial numbers on them that are preferred.

There are certain years where one of the HD mufflers (right side) contains a catalytic converter. It is best to avoid them. I ran into that (I think mine are from a 2010 model) and ended up using two left side mufflers. The pair I had were free and I purchased the second left muffler for maybe $25.00 on ebay. Possibly 2007 - 2010 but I am not sure. As mentioned, you will need to fabricate a bracket for each side and purchase clamps for the front connection to the header pipes.

Don't give up on your search for the Ovals. I found a used pair on ebay last year that I got for $250.00 including shipping. The only thing wrong with them was the chrome on the tail caps was peeling. A quick sand blast and black heat paint solved the issue.

If you find a pair, just note that in stock form, the Ovals create a harmonic tone at certain rpms that is very annoying to the point that they will create headaches on a day long ride. It's kind of like a tuning fork that hurts your ears. That being said, I discovered some baffles from SmartParts that take 10 minutes to install that take care of problem. My pipes sound better now than anything else I have tried.

Here's a link to the baffles. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html

If you are not going to go to the Ovals, LA Choppers is the next best option......... but they are not Ovals sound.

I'll 2nd this...

I watched ebay for probably 3 years before I found a set of lightly-used Ovals that I felt were reasonable ($300 shipped). Absolutely loved the sound, but only took 15 minutes on the 1st ride for the wife and I to discover the harmonic issue. Ordered up the baffles from smartpartz which took care of the harmonic issue without changing the sound. Absolutely love them now. No going back for us...

I found a pair of screamin eagles locally for $40, can't beat the sound. At 80 mph they are a touch loud, but any other speed they sound great.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Same here, local HD shop was having a swap meet and found a set of OEM S.E. touring pipes for $30 in very good shape. They were factory installed on a SE Street Glide and the guy went to itty-bitty short shots (why you'd go drag pipes on a Touring rig I'll never know) but it worked out well for me. And again, at 80mph they drone but are sweet at the 40-65 mph backroads roll on.

Fixing to purchase a 2000 Royal Star Venture LE. Definitely want to upgrade Mufflers. I Love the sound of Monster Ovals from V&H but the price is quite staggering. Suggestions on a slip on that really changes the tone like the Monsters but much more affordable. LA Choppers sound good and look good, would like to hear what ya done. Are any modifications needed, what size, tuning needed, etc. Please let me know, Thanks

With the Monster Ovals or LA Slup Ons, are there any tuning that needs to be done or will I be good to ride after swapping out!?!? Thanks

With the Monster Ovals or LA Slup Ons, are there any tuning that needs to be done or will I be good to ride after swapping out!?!? Thanks

Can't speak for the Ovals but I didn't do any mods when I fitted the LA Choppers. Bike runs great, occasional popping on the overrun when cold, doesn't seem to be any worse than any other bike I ride with & doesn't bother me. No saying I'm right of course, I bow to greater minds!

Hope that helps

Generally you wont have to rejet or worry about any tuning issues when you instal slip on mufflers. If you were to change the header pipes then you will have to rejet.

Slip on mufflers are pretty much just a case of instal and ride.

I did the same thing as Grubsie and many others on this forum. I bought a set of monster ovals for $400 in great shape. But the harmonic tone was deafening, bought a set of baffles and it's got the sound I'm looking for.

I cut the rear baffle in the OEM mufflers and moved it over about half way. Sounded good but not quite there!

Tried the HD mufflers, same thing, nice sound but not quite there.

Watched the Kijiji ads for about three years and found a set close by. Perfect !!

That's what I like about these Ventures, as long as you don't start messing with the air box. You can probably put on any muffler that will fit.

There's also a link to brackets that you can either buy or make yourself (very easy) as well as clamp types that work well.

Do you happen to know which serial # is preferred? How about sound? I don't mind loud but definitely like them to growl.