IGNORED

'86 Water Leak - Need the Gurus

IMG_0728.jpg

I noticed a small puddle a while back under the bike a little bit in front of the side stand.

I haven't been riding the '86 much so it's been sitting. I pulled it out yesterday so I could figure out where the leak is and she was kind enough to leave me a clue.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks

Dave

Thats a fun job, pull fake tank cover, both side covers, drain coolant, remove battery and tray, pull air filter and box, removed carburetors, and a oil line on top of that cover that is leaking, has a few o-rings and 2 rubber gaskets if i remember right, lots of beer and cigarettes if you smoke, your gonna need them. and take your time.

Water Leak 1.jpgIs this the oil line you are talking about? Which end? Or do I need to remove the line and replace o-rings and gaskets at both ends?

The water stain starts in the valley underneath the line. I'm wondering if it's leaking from the upper end and dripping off of the line or from the lower end and running down what I think is called the twinkie.

Dave

Yes remove the line and pull that twinkie housing, i think the line has reusable copper washers, the cover has 2 rubber gaskets and there is a stand pipe that has some o-rings under the housing, the housing is the easy part,its just getting the rest of the stuff out of the way to do it, when i did mine, i also got rid of the pvc vent line that runs up to the air filter box and installed a filter that skydoc 17 sells here in the classifieds http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=427&title=first-gen-crankcase-vent-filter-upgrade&cat=17

Yes remove the line and pull that twinkie housing, i think the line has reusable copper washers, the cover has 2 rubber gaskets and there is a stand pipe that has some o-rings under the housing, the housing is the easy part,its just getting the rest of the stuff out of the way to do it, when i did mine, i also got rid of the pvc vent line that runs up to the air filter box and installed a filter that skydoc 17 sells here in the classifieds http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=427&title=first-gen-crankcase-vent-filter-upgrade&cat=17

Thanks!

I find the twinkie gaskets online in the Radiator page but don't find the o-rings for the standpipe.

Any idea where the o-rings are on the parts lists?

Dave

Thanks!

I find the twinkie gaskets online in the Radiator page but don't find the o-rings for the standpipe.

Any idea where the o-rings are on the parts lists?

Dave

I have a assortment of metric o-rings big box that i used, its a good thing to buy when u have one of these bike, i got mine from ebay, make sure you clean all that dirt out of there before you take it apart, dont want that down in the engine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/419pc-Universal-O-Ring-Assortment-Set-Metric-Kit-Automotive-Seal-Rubber-Gasket-/361481546482?hash=item5429faaaf2:g:-HUAAOSwoydWr7Tn

correct me if I am wrong. The twinkie you call it with fittings. That's an oil line. .. not Coolant. I do know coolant travel in the same general area. thank you for making me read slower

Edited by jasonm.

Thanks for the help all!!!

I got everything pulled out and apart a few days ago and ordered the replacement parts, including Skydoc's vent hose replacement filter.

SANY0005.jpg

After disassembling the "twinkie", I got all of the parts cleaned up while I waited for the parts to come in.

SANY0006.jpg

Once the new gaskets for the twinkie and the o-rings for the oil standpipe came in, I reassembled the twinkie on the bench and put the lower gasket in place and let the warmth of the day warm it up and relax it while in place (facing up). This morning the gasket was ready and I reinstalled the twinkie and oil standpipe back on the bike.

SANY0007.jpg

Next was to replace the oil lines.

SANY0008.jpg

Instead of the oil vapor line that goes to the bottom of the air box, I decided to upgrade to the air filter. Also the water line.

SANY0009.jpgSANY0010.jpg

Next, put the carbs back on.

SANY0011.jpgSANY0012.jpg

Finally the air box, filter and battery.

SANY0013.jpg

The bike even fired up and no signs of the leak!!! Success!!

She's running a little rough so I'll double check the carb sync in the morning.