IGNORED

2018 Star Venture

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That’s about the same HP as the RSV and with about 25 moref/lbs of torque.

Throw in the 90 extra pounds that has to be carried with the new model and things in that department start to become quite equal with its predecessor.

I like the design and all the bells and whistles but air cooled?

My wife and I just made a trip to Vancouver BC with a trailer and we were stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on the #1 highway.

Very hot, constantly clutching 5 to 10 feet at a time for hours. Couldn't shut the bike off. Yes, I got the heat from the fan but can't imagine surviving the traffic jam on an air cooled v twin.

Waiting to hear stories of how this bike is in city traffic.

A guy named Bill Matthews runs a group on Facebook called over 50 and still on 2 wheels. His wife and him rode the bike and they said it gives off a fair amount of heat. They also said that bike is for the larger framed person. I love the bells and whistles. But I don't know if I can deal with the air cooled engine especially since we are moving to Florida in the next couple of years.

I just read an article about how the sales of large motorcycles are plummeting and Harley sales are plummeting the most. So, Yamaha decides to compete with Harley. Some things are hard to understand. I think a Gen II with the V4, made lighter, lower center of gravity, and a frame mounted fairing would have made more sense. But, it is what it is. We shall see if it is a success. I hope so.

I think a Gen II with the V4, made lighter, lower center of gravity, and a frame mounted fairing would have made more sense. But, it is what it is. We shall see if it is a success. I hope so.
So basically the new bike with the V4 and shaft drive? Heh, heh, heh. :biker:

I think Yamaha did an awesome job of designing the bodywork. It's way prettier than the Gen II.

So basically the new bike with the V4 and shaft drive? Heh, heh, heh. :biker:

I think Yamaha did an awesome job of designing the bodywork. It's way prettier than the Gen II.

You missed "lighter" which is very important. The new BMW K1600 GTL weighs 767.2 pounds wet, about 200 lbs less than the new Venture. It is smoother, lighter, and much more powerful.

Appearance is subjective to each individual but I think the Gen II with a newly designed frame mounted fairing with redesigned round gauges instead of the 57 Ford speedometer would be better looking.

I just read an article about how the sales of large motorcycles are plummeting and Harley sales are plummeting the most.

I concur with that. There are a growing number of articles on that subject. At what point does a motorcycle become more a chariot to carry the engine than the rider? If a touring motorcycle's engine delivers ample power, does anything beyond that just become about how fast you can give your passenger whiplash? These are touring bikes after all. It's a competitive market and engine prowess is one of the main features they compete with. The manufacturers are in a battle of CC's and how many goodies can be stuffed on your dash in order to get our attention. At some point I think it begins to feel like you're in your Lexus and not on a motorcycle anymore, especially with the price tags. I know however a lot of people go for this stuff but I wonder for how long. Motorcycling to me always seemed to be a way to unplug and relax. Having evermore gizmos on board and carrying around larger gas tanks to feed the beast below may run it's course if it hasn't begun already.

I concur with that. There are a growing number of articles on that subject. At what point does a motorcycle become more a chariot to carry the engine than the rider? If a touring motorcycle's engine delivers ample power, does anything beyond that just become about how fast you can give your passenger whiplash? These are touring bikes after all. It's a competitive market and engine prowess is one of the main features they compete with. The manufacturers are in a battle of CC's and how many goodies can be stuffed on your dash in order to get our attention. At some point I think it begins to feel like you're in your Lexus and not on a motorcycle anymore, especially with the price tags. I know however a lot of people go for this stuff but I wonder for how long. Motorcycling to me always seemed to be a way to unplug and relax. Having evermore gizmos on board and carrying around larger gas tanks to feed the beast below may run it's course if it hasn't begun already.

I think you have said it best, These are all toys we would like, but are they really necessary? I remember after I got my drivers license. I would just go out and drive not really knowing where the road would lead and where I would end up at. Sometimes running out of gas in the most inopportune times. But hell it was fun, with all these gadgets anymore driving has become a chore to me. Well kind of its no longer enjoyable as it used to be. Kind of why I got a bike, loved riding the mini bikes, dirt bikes, and I remember wondering what it would be like to have a street bike. I knew I didn't want those so called bikes I see more then I do Harley's. Well this used to be true anyways till I moved, I have seen some really nice Motorcycles all within blocks of me. I do not give @cowpucs R1 the definition of motorcycle, It is not in my eyes it is nothing but a crotch rocket. Would I like to ride one, Yeah sure but will probably never own one. However that is cowpucs version of my Lamborghini I want I want the ELEMENTO...... love that car. I do love the looks of this new venture and by the time I can afford one I will probably need the gadgets to tell me how to get to Sesame Street.:Avatars_Gee_George: AKA Home lol. Got to love getting old and forgetting where you put your keys.... or remembering where soemthing was so I am sure it will morph into not being able to find my way home.

I think it may be related to the fact that the average cost of living adjusted salary for non-college graduates hasn't increased in over 20 years and many of the potential customers just can't afford an expensive toy like a new Harley.

I think it may be related to the fact that the average cost of living adjusted salary for non-college graduates hasn't increased in over 20 years and many of the potential customers just can't afford an expensive toy like a new Harley.

There's a lot of truth to that. InvestorsInsight has a 2013 article showing the decline of median household income between 1999 and 2013. Yet motorcycles have been adorned with new technology and features bringing prices to new heights. Some models are just way out of the arena of recreational costs. It'll also be interesting though as to how far manufacturers can go with all the goodies until there's a resurgence of simple more cost effective bikes which have their own style of "fun factor" from days gone by. As an example, there were days when there was no substitute for hopping on my '96 Triumph over my high powered/high tech Concours 14. (which I eventually traded for my RSV) :-)

If a touring motorcycle's engine delivers ample power, does anything beyond that just become about how fast you can give your passenger whiplash? These are touring bikes after all. It's a competitive market and engine prowess is one of the main features they compete with. The manufacturers are in a battle of CC's and how many goodies can be stuffed on your dash in order to get our attention. At some point I think it begins to feel like you're in your Lexus and not on a motorcycle anymore, especially with the price tags.
It isn't just the manufacturers it's also the boomer generation. Look at the several wishlist threads on here, they are full of gotta have 1800 cc engines and built in GPS, satellite radio, explosive sound systems or what have you. Many seem to have lost track of what is actually necessary for touring. Seems to be more about one up-man-ship.

Somebody asked about the rake on the front...from https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/yamaha-star-venture-ar176763.html :

"The steering comes raked out quite a bit at 31-degrees with 5.7 inches of trail, so the Venture is going to be quite stable in the straights and comfortable over the long haul. Even though the factory took steps to try to reduce rotational inertia through mass centralization, there’s no arguing with the steering numbers, and this bike is going to feel a little reluctant in the corners.

A pair of 46 mm forks support the front end on 5.1 inches of travel, but offer nothing in the way of adjustment while the rear shock gives up 4.3 inches of travel and only the obligatory preload adjustment. All-in-all, a rather uninspiring suspension system, but one that is, unfortunately, all too common on American-style tourers."

On the motor - "100 mm bores with a 118 mm stroke for a total displacement of 1,854 cc, or 113 cubic-inches." ...9.5:1 compression ratio

Got to spend a little time with one at Sturgis this week. No rides, but did sit on it, start it, played with all the buttons.

its cool, but I'm not sure I'd ever buy one. I've got other things I'd like to do with $25grand.

Somebody asked about the rake on the front...from https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/yamaha-star-venture-ar176763.html :

"The steering comes raked out quite a bit at 31-degrees with 5.7 inches of trail, so the Venture is going to be quite stable in the straights and comfortable over the long haul. Even though the factory took steps to try to reduce rotational inertia through mass centralization, there’s no arguing with the steering numbers, and this bike is going to feel a little reluctant in the corners.

I'm guessing it will drive more like a truck in the parking lot as well. My Virago has 32-degree forks and, while much lighter and therefore easier to control, it isn't as nimble as my Gen 1.

"The steering comes raked out quite a bit at 31-degrees with 5.7 inches of trail, so the Venture is going to be quite stable in the straights and comfortable over the long haul.

Yep, it has the rake and trail of a cruiser more so than a touring bike.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I had the opportunity to ride a 2018 Venture Saturday and was very impressed all the videos I watched talked about how heavy it felt off the kick stand I thought I felt lighter than my Nomad. I road 2 up with my wife and felt very balanced and really agile and light feeling the power was great everything about was smooth as butter. It could be my next bike I want to ride a Indian Roadmaster and compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a step backwards to me. V-twin with a belt drive. Why imitate HD? Aren't we past that?

Good looking bike but I wonder why they didn't use a shaft drive.

Belt translates to more power to the ground and less maintenance [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
The dealership where I buy my stuff is multi-brand. Did Yamaha unwittingly keep the Kawasaki Voyager alive? A Voyager is $16500.00. Kinda hard for Yamaha to justify a $10,000 price difference between the ancient Voyager and the new Venture. $10,000 could really deck out a Voyager that comes with a real 3 year warranty. (Not a 1 year warranty and a 4 year kinda warranty like the Yamaha). Now that the Venture is out Kawasaki may even raise the price on their bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109705

:scared: SPOT ON DUEY!!!! Thanks for pointing this out in that other thread @Du-Rron - no idea where I was when all this was going on but brother = I really missed it here!! Another point = it would REALLY pay to shop right now on Ebay and elsewhere (dealerships) - TONS of sales happening!! Amazing the left over NOS stuff out there at HUGE savings!!

Yep, nobody has more fun on his bike for less money than Cowpuc and he sticks with the 1st Gen Venture. There's something to learn there I think.

BlueSky :big-grin-emoticon:,,, sounds like my underhanded sneaky ways may be finally catching up with me :big-grin-emoticon::mugshot:

Let ya in on a little secret,,,, I have actually paid less for a couple of my 1st Gen's than the quoted price for a rear tire on this new one :big-grin-emoticon: :rotf::happy65::rotfl:! Then chased the remaining 200k+ miles out of em by short shifting them into eternal bliss :rotf:!!! Proofing, amoung other things, positive that doing the same thing over and over again is not only insane but also may be a good test for a persons mental stability:178:..

DSCN4754.JPG

• 4 months later...

Maybe I'm missing it, but I've been searching for a ride review from someone who's purchased and ridden the 2018 Star Venture. (I've read the Rider review.) I live in Southern California, and I've seen temperatures of 113F while stuck in traffic on my FJR on Highway 101 in the summer, so, excited as I am about the new Star Venture TC, I'm afraid to buy one. Are there rider reviews on this forum that I'm missing?

Maybe I'm missing it, but I've been searching for a ride review from someone who's purchased and ridden the 2018 Star Venture. (I've read the Rider review.) I live in Southern California, and I've seen temperatures of 113F while stuck in traffic on my FJR on Highway 101 in the summer, so, excited as I am about the new Star Venture TC, I'm afraid to buy one. Are there rider reviews on this forum that I'm missing?

I purchased the 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental and now have 1,000 miles on it, the handling is fantastic, low speed parking lot maneuvering is very stable and easy to control, this does not feel like a 963 pound bike. Cornering while riding is precise and you can make mid corner correction without upsetting the bike, it just makes the correction and your gone. Those who tried to speculate on how this bike would ride and handle are 180 degree wrong.

This Star Venture handles better than both my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and my 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low. As for temperature I feel no more heat from this Star Venture's 113 CI engine than I did from the Victory's 106 CI engine or the Harley's 103 CI engine and the Harley was a twin cool engine.

I live in Southwest Florida so it gets hot and muggy here, I really do not see engine heat being an issue for me.

I have owned a 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and a 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low before this Yamaha Star Venture and of the four bikes this Star Venture is hands down the best bike of the four, the power, handling and comfort of this bike is just head and shoulders above the others.