IGNORED

2018 Star Venture

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put $500.00 down on a charcoal model at Woods Fun Center in Austin today! First to do so at that location. It'll be my 6th Venture and can't wait to feel that fuel injected horsepower (torque in this case, actually). Taking the '07 Venture to the ROT rally tomorrow with my son on his Harley.... Not sure if I'll trade or keep 'er. Been such a great bike, but it's that time.

Put $500.00 down on a charcoal model at Woods Fun Center in Austin today! First to do so at that location. It'll be my 6th Venture and can't wait to feel that fuel injected horsepower (torque in this case, actually). Taking the '07 Venture to the ROT rally tomorrow with my son on his Harley.... Not sure if I'll trade or keep 'er. Been such a great bike, but it's that time.

:scared: 100% TOTALLY awesome TD!!!:thumbsup: Cant wait to read the reports and see the pics come rolling in when you get her!! Gonna be wayy exciting = thanks for sharing the excitement with us!!

PS - what is an ROT?

Okay....so I stopped at Woods to have my '07 appraised for trade-in for the '18 on the way to the ROT rally yesterday and they offered me 4k for it. They said they "need to make money on it" and it would sell for probably 7k in the showroom?

It has EVERY bell, whistle, and aftermarket product you can possibly think of as well as the Dyna controller. The bike has never been down and only has 39k on it. Perfect paint (blue on black) and only 200 miles on new tires.

Thoughts, anyone???? Different dealer?

Okay....so I stopped at Woods to have my '07 appraised for trade-in for the '18 on the way to the ROT rally yesterday and they offered me 4k for it. They said they "need to make money on it" and it would sell for probably 7k in the showroom?

It has EVERY bell, whistle, and aftermarket product you can possibly think of as well as the Dyna controller. The bike has never been down and only has 39k on it. Perfect paint (blue on black) and only 200 miles on new tires.

Forget trade-ins, sell it yourself. Should be able to get almost what the dealer can sell it for. Even if you had to take $6000 for it you would be better off.

Something else some forget to factor in. I do not know how the taxes work in your state, but in Wisconsin you do not pay any sales tax on the trade in portion of a deal. So if you are paying 27K for the new bike and you get a 4K trade in then you only pay sales tax on 23K. If you sell the bike yourself for 5K and then go buy the new bike for 27K you will pay the sales tax on all 27K. Something to look into and do the math to see just how much more you need to sell your bike for to break even with the cost of trading in, in your state.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like a step backwards to me. V-twin with a belt drive. Why imitate HD? Aren't we past that?

Good looking bike but I wonder why they didn't use a shaft drive.

I'm ok with the Belt drive, they are so much lighter and better. Plus you hardly ever hear of someone breaking a belt these days. I'm kinda ok with V-Twin, but I would have liked for it to be water cooled. I don't like the 200mm rear tire. I wish they would have kept the 150mm or no bigger than a 180mm. 200mm and bigger tires are a pain in wet conditions. Harley Davidson learned that on their touring bikes.

Edited by samklr650

I would keep it and ride it, it's a darn fine bike. If you do ride an 18 and decide you want one then sell yours privately outright. I'm sure there are still quite a few guys that would rather have yours than a twin. Shop around for the first guy that buys an 18 and figures out that it's just to heavy and sells it at a huge loss with almost no miles on it. It will happen, someone else can eat the depreciation for you.

If the 18 does turn out to be worthy of all the hype than the value and sale-ability of your current steed might come down. I'm more thinking that the 2nd gens will be known as the last true ventures and regarded as such. It's early to tell before the 18s start hitting the streets and we see what they really are. Also the used ones will start popping up within a year or two. Food for thought anyway.

I am also thinking about the trade or keep my '07. I really enjoy my current Venture and it only had 51K miles and climbing. Perhaps I should first test ride the new Venture and find a place in the garage to park it someday. Have you test ridden the '18 Venture?

I would keep it and ride it, it's a darn fine bike. If you do ride an 18 and decide you want one then sell yours privately outright. I'm sure there are still quite a few guys that would rather have yours than a twin. Shop around for the first guy that buys an 18 and figures out that it's just to heavy and sells it at a huge loss with almost no miles on it. It will happen, someone else can eat the depreciation for you.

If the 18 does turn out to be worthy of all the hype than the value and sale-ability of your current steed might come down. I'm more thinking that the 2nd gens will be known as the last true ventures and regarded as such. It's early to tell before the 18s start hitting the streets and we see what they really are. Also the used ones will start popping up within a year or two. Food for thought anyway.

Yep. The '18 is a new model. As for any new models whether it be a car or truck or motorcycle, there has to be something that might need to be recalled or what not....time will tell and hundreds of miles on the road and helpful owner feedback will for sure help me decide what to do next.

I'm ok with the Belt drive, they are so much lighter and better. Plus you hardly ever hear of someone breaking a belt these days. I'm kinda ok with V-Twin, but I would have liked for it to be water cooled. I don't like the 200mm rear tire. I wish they would have kept the 150mm or no bigger than a 180mm. 200mm and bigger tires are a pain in wet conditions. Harley Davidson learned that on their touring bikes.

Throw a car tire on it and you'll never have problems in the rain.

I am also thinking about the trade or keep my '07. I really enjoy my current Venture and it only had 51K miles and climbing. Perhaps I should first test ride the new Venture and find a place in the garage to park it someday. Have you test ridden the '18 Venture?

Nothing to test drive as of yet. I understand there are only 3 of them in the States as of last week? I got the $500.00 back from the dealer and probably going to wait 'til a used one comes up down the road. My '07 suits me just fine as well and I can certainly wait to find out of folks like it as much as Yamaha says they will.

Throw a car tire on it and you'll never have problems in the rain.

No way!! I enjoy a motorcycles handling in corners, usually ride ride crooked roads more than straight. My Brother installed a car tire on his Honda Valkrye and I took it for ride. You really had to work to wrestle that bike through the corners and a Valkrye is one of the best handling cruisers on the market. I'll stick with motorcycle tires.

Forget trade-ins, sell it yourself. Should be able to get almost what the dealer can sell it for. Even if you had to take $6000 for it you would be better off.

That is what I did with my 06 and got about 500 dollars less than what the dealer was going to sell it for six months later when I decided to keep the new bike.

No way!! I enjoy a motorcycles handling in corners, usually ride ride crooked roads more than straight. My Brother installed a car tire on his Honda Valkrye and I took it for ride. You really had to work to wrestle that bike through the corners and a Valkrye is one of the best handling cruisers on the market. I'll stick with motorcycle tires.

To each their own. Some bikes simply don't take well to a car tire. On the other hand, some car tires work better than others. Air pressure is also of importance and plays a big part in a C/T's handling. I had a C/T on my '03 Wing and on my Victory and I can tell you from my experience that I could run the twisties as good or better as I could with the M/T, especially much better in the rain.

But like I said, to each their own.

I just saw and sat on 1 of these 2018s at Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, PA., 2 days ago. I even got to start it up; but no test rides yet. The rep. said that it is only 1 of 3 at this point. The first ones should be available from dealers at the end of August. It did sound nice and has a lower center of gravity. I am not sold on it being a 2 cylinder and being air cooled but he said that in their track record, these engines don't overheat. I didn't research or ask, but I think that this is the same engine that they have been using on of the other RS models, so hopefully they have the bugs worked out of it. I did notice the extra wide rear tire, but it makes sense for keeping traction with the torque that it will put out.

It does have park-assist forward and reverse (which is long overdue), a little more cargo space, and driver's seat backrest adjustment. The heal/toe shifter is an upgrade/option. Still no arm rests for the passenger though. The rear shock is hydraulic (not air) and is adjustable, and the front shocks/forks are not air and not adjustable (without changing springs). And it's back to the fixed fairing as the first gens had.

I'll be curious to find out if it has provisions to bolt on a trailer hitch.

Someone going to one of these showings try to get a pic of the back end underneath to see what kind of frame is there.

I am sure that the official response will be that it is not designed or able to pull a trailer, just like all bikes.

I was looking at the trunk rack for the new Venture. Looks like a really nice rack. Then I read that it is only rated for 4.4 pounds. The top trunk lid must be made pretty flimsy to only support 4 pounds. Kind of surprised. Makes it almost useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same issue with mine mine looks showroom and has lots of extras. I got offered $5K and they were going to take and addition $1000 of the raider if i bought that day. in cycle trader locally (200 miles) between 5 and 6 for the few left out there worth having. Got to remember its a 10 year old carberated bike. Everyone wants EFI.