IGNORED

Custom Route on Google Maps To Your Phone

I hope this information isn't redundant. I tried searching first so I think this might be unique. I found this web site this morning which explains how to build a custom route on google maps with your computer which is then accessible with the Google Maps app on your phone. A convenient method for those of us who may use their phones as a GPS while riding. I usually stream Pandora with the phone to the speakers and the app chimes in at the appropriate time with directions. You can put in multiple destinations, drag the route to modify, etc. and build a library of rides for later use. Those with restricted data plans may not be interested in something like this though.

https://www.lifewire.com/make-custom-route-on-google-maps-4126536

Joe

That is handy. Im afraid to use my phone, its an old S3 and not waterproof, and I dont like to leave the locational services enabled. I found a Garmin 60CSX that is weather proof and works great even if you leave the road and known map systems. The downside is its way easier to do a map by plugging it into a PC. Doing a map without a mouse is a skill I have yet to master, a link like this is good to see.

Does a phone burn data for GPS functions? I didnt think it did but I only tried it once before going to Garmin which I was more comfortable with exposing to the elements and vibration. Also noteworthy that my last touring bike was a KLR650 so functionality beyond known road systems was necessary along with the backtrack feature. I dont see taking the Venture through the trees and fire trails/grasslands :biker:

Do you mount the phone or tuck it into a tank bag map pocket? I got a RAM mount for the Garmin for the KLR and ATV but the Venture bars do not work with that so I see a tankbag in my future or fabbing something up.

Does a phone burn data for GPS functions?

Do you mount the phone or tuck it into a tank bag map pocket?

Hi Casey,

From what I've read, there is no data used for positioning but there is for the maps on the screen to get updated, especially if you use satellite view. Also, I've read that sometimes the phone will use both satellite and triangulate with the towers simultaneously. I'm not sure what happens though if the map app is running in the background and the map is not presented on the screen.

I have my phone in the breast pocket of my riding jacket with an aux cable plugged into the tape deck. I'll stream music and let the app interrupt with voice commands for directions. I'll have to monitor the data used by the app over the next couple of trips to see how intense it is.

Joe

Joe, that sounds like a great idea. I noticed last week when I went down WY, across CO and back up NE into SD I was often outside service areas which would stop data use but presumably nav would still function, presumably haha. When touring I look for BFE, if I'm not frequently falling outside service areas than I'm not far enough away from "it all".

I am really interested in how this will work. I would love to stream Leykis while riding but as data cracks up I will most likely use my FLAC library and bluetooth it through the stereo via a bluetooth reciever inline with the antenna. My newest car is 1996 which predates bluetooth tech so I got familiar with the tranzitBLU devices, cant see why one would not work on a bike. So im left wondering if I could listen to my tunes and use GPS on a modern phone outside data areas. I look forward to your findings.

Hi Casey,

From what I've read, there is no data used for positioning but there is for the maps on the screen to get updated, especially if you use satellite view. Also, I've read that sometimes the phone will use both satellite and triangulate with the towers simultaneously. I'm not sure what happens though if the map app is running in the background and the map is not presented on the screen.

I have my phone in the breast pocket of my riding jacket with an aux cable plugged into the tape deck. I'll stream music and let the app interrupt with voice commands for directions. I'll have to monitor the data used by the app over the next couple of trips to see how intense it is.

Joe

When I was in Italy touring I would set my route on google maps at the hotel with wifi then turn off All data functions and I had tracking on the route the whole way. Only problem is going off track it won't reorient but if you are outside coverage then there aren't a lot of road choices to mistake either

You can try it now in a coverage area to prove it. Set your route to the market in google maps and turn off all data.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look forward to your findings.

Ok Casey. I needed the phone's GPS assistance yesterday for 120 miles and the data used was 10.1 MB. That's not bad at all. Plus, as you may have read from VentureFar, you can turn off all data on the phone and just run with the GPS connection. Either way, not a bad setup to just pump the voice commands from your customized map through the stereo while streaming music.

Joe