IGNORED

Ignition Switch Removal

OK, I surrender, how the &*$$ do you get those two bolts out?? I tried the old cut a slot into the head trick and used a screwdriver and vice grips to turn them but all I have been successful with is breaking the tips off on two screwdrivers!! Short of literally hacking the old switch into pieces (wanted to save and repair dirty contacts) how do you disassemble the switch from the frame???

Nope, they are some kind of tamper proof bolts. If you look at the first picture in this thread, you can see those "safety" bolts. I'm getting the impression drilling is the only option. I'm waiting for tomorrow to go over to Pioneer Motorsports and ask my Cousin who is the Service Manager there how they do it...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?512-Emergency-Ignition-Switch-Repair

Yup, well, three Dremel tool stones later, the heads are ground off and the studs removed! Found out why the slot and screwdriver trick didn't work, those bolts are blue Loctite'd in!! Yes, the bolts are M8/1.25 Allen head bolts, the exact same bolts used to hold the rotors on, which I happened to have a few spares of! That's how those safety bolts work, they are Allen head screws that when installed the heads are filled in with some kind of metal filler.

So now the new switch assembly is installed and I will rebuild my old one to use as a spare. The new one was rekeyed by a locksmith last fall when my original switch started acting up and I bought a new switch assembly! Now I have to reassemble the bike and install my battery and get the bike fired up for the spring so I can get some riding in before July. I am having toe surgery July 3rd so I will be kind of disabled for pretty much all of July...