IGNORED

How smooth is your venture?

I'm just curious how smooth everyone's venture engine is.my '86 almost feels like it's missing out on a cylinder but I don't think it is it has plenty of power I can reach 90 mile an hour no problem I think it's just the way the engine is tuned or timed. I pulled the front two spark plug wires one at a time since they were easy to get to engine idols down a little bit but not much . I have also have a V 65 magna in the engine is a lot smoother I think it's just the way the 1300 is designed is everyone else's have kind of a vibration to it . Also does anyone know does the transmission have straight cut gears because mine has a really loud wrrrrring noise from 3000 to 4500 RPM .

I'm just curious how smooth everyone's venture engine is.my '86 almost feels like it's missing out on a cylinder but I don't think it is it has plenty of power I can reach 90 mile an hour no problem I think it's just the way the engine is tuned or timed. I pulled the front two spark plug wires one at a time since they were easy to get to engine idols down a little bit but not much . I have also have a V 65 magna in the engine is a lot smoother I think it's just the way the 1300 is designed is everyone else's have kind of a vibration to it . Also does anyone know does the transmission have straight cut gears because mine has a really loud wrrrrring noise from 3000 to 4500 RPM .
The Venture can easily reach 90 mph on 3 cylinders. If you are noticing a vibration it might be an idea to check to see if it is firing on all four. Pulling the plugs is probably a better method of checking than the oft mentioned spit test. If one is sooty then there is a problem. If they are all sooty then it's a bigger problem. While you are at it have a look at the caps. There is a resistor in there that can get corroded and reduce the spark.

All of the Ventures I've owned ran quite smooth. You could require balancing the carbs.

Also, the gears are straight cut and some do tend to whrrrr or whine at certain rpms. My '85 was quite "whiney" between 2900 & 3100 rpm. My '87 was as quiet as a mouse. My '06 had the whine also. It's generally not the tranny though, it's the gears from the main output shaft of the engine and the clutch basket.

Yup!! These bikes run amazingly well on just 3 cylinders! When firing on all 4, if you are too aggressive when hitting 2nd gear you WILL pop a wheelie! You should be getting around 40 MPG if running on all 4.

I would suggest investing in an inexpensive spark gap tester from Auto Zone, etc which will run you less than $10. You should be able to pull close to 1/4 inch spark on each cylinder. Forgot the exact spec but it is just over 0.100". Also, these bikes eat plugs so you should make it an annual event to replace plugs, and make sure you use NGK's, they seem to work the best!

Yes, you can indeed hit 90+ MPH in 3rd on 3 cylinders, the question is how quickly can you get there? Also, a good carb sync is important for proper smooth operation! You should be able to smoke just about any stock Harley out there with the exception of the V-Rod, it should be a pretty even match...

Can't say as there is any significant vibration that I remember with my old '84. It ain't a V-Twin so it should not shake your teeth loose! The vibration suggests you are only running on 3 cylinders or in serious need of a proper carb balance!

Welcome aboard my friend!!

An infrared thermometer is a great tool to have for measuring exhaust pipe temperatures. Also, unscrew the spark plug caps and check for corrosion of the copper wire core. If corroded clip 1/2" or 3/4" off the wire and screw back into the cap. ngk.com has new caps for these bikes that have 5k ohms resistance (about $2.60each)versus the 9k ohms resistance of the OE caps.

I pulled each spark plug boot one at a time and the RPM definitely dropped down it's hitting on all four it's just not the smoothest v4 I've ever had and this is my third one. No way this will keep up with a v-rod, but this is probably the most loaded venture royale you'll ever see in your life every option every aftermarket component is on this bike, very heavy. I have 26 individual clearance lights just on the back alone.Not sure how to put a picture on here

I pulled each spark plug boot one at a time and the RPM definitely dropped down it's hitting on all four it's just not the smoothest v4 I've ever had and this is my third one.
The engine might very well be firing on all four but without looking at the plugs or doing a temp check there is no way to tell if they are all burning the same. Corrosion in the plugs or at the plugs or at the coils can reduce the spark intensity as can improperly gapped plugs.

If everything in the ignition system is good then a carb sync might be what is needed to smooth out the engine.

Not uncommon for a slide diaphragm to detach from the slide, it will idle perfectly but one slide won't lift. Pretty easy to check and fix on an early bike. My 99 RSV was exactly this way a previous mechanic had pinched one diaphragm putting on the cap, got it back where it belonged and vroom vroom. A bit of compressed air in the small top port will lift the slide if all is well.