IGNORED

Robo calls & text

I'm right there with you. I get so many that it drives me crazy. My phones are on the do not call list and they completely ignore it. That list is completely useless as far as I'm concerned. I add them to my blocked numbers list as I get them but that's a waste of time also because the numbers are usually spoofed and the same people just call from another number. Locations are also spoofed so you never even know where they are originating from.

They are driving me nuts.

Do not call register is little help.

What app do you use to block these a$$holes on your cell?

I'm right there with you. I get so many that it drives me crazy. My phones are on the do not call list and they completely ignore it. That list is completely useless as far as I'm concerned. I add them to my blocked numbers list as I get them but that's a waste of time also because the numbers are usually spoofed and the same people just call from another number. Locations are also spoofed so you never even know where they are originating from.

There is a really good app I use it used to be Whitepages Caller ID and Block, Now it is known as HIYA it works very well. I have been using it for years, However the only down side it blocks people who like to use Private numbers, but there supposed to text there name or something to see if I will allow it. I never get the number but I get the name and the choice whether to allow the call.

I use "Calls Blacklist". I set it so it only rings for my contacts.

It also has white list and black list features. It will do text messages but you have to use it as your texting app (Android). I haven't used the texting feature because I don't have a problem with that.

For live operators on the other end I resorted stopping them in the middle of their pitch and telling them my number was on the do not call list and requesting they remove my number from their list, I also remind them that they are subject to a $10,000.00 fine if they call me back. If they call back I report the number to the web site provided by the do not call list. It does consume my time, but has been pretty effective at reducing the number of calls.

I just hope the FEDs actually fine them after I report them.

Texts, I am note sure what to do about them.

I also use HIYA.

With HIYA when you block the number that goes into their data base so they can block it for the next person that is called by them, so as long as a few users do a spam report then it can be blocked by the time it gets to you. It seems that the scamers only change the number once a day.

As for the do not call list, I took all of my numbers off the DNC list, it means I cet more calls from legit companies but fewer scammers. the legit companies will take you off their list if you ask them to, if you answer a scammer and ask to be taken off the list it only verifies that this is a GOOD number and will add you to even more lists.

I think the scammers are using the DNC lists, but they are using it as a list of active numbers TO call, they are usually calling from outside of the USA so there is absolutely nothing the feds or anyone else can do about it. What would slow scammers down greatly is if the phone companies remove the ability to alter the caller id info displayed. This would mean that the scammers real phone number would be displayed so they could be tracked down and or blocked. They can not change their actual phone number every few hours. Phone companies don't work that fast.

It depends on your phone also. I have a Galaxy phone and I can block calls going to it if they keep calling me. Also anytime you hear clicking when you first answer, just hang up as it is the call being routed to an agent. For my home phone service I have comcast for phone service and I also have a Panasonic answering machine that announces who is calling. If it isnt someone I know or expect to call me it always goes to the answering machine and or course they never leave a message. If I get more then a couple calls from them, I can go into my comcast account and block that number there from calling again.

Now the big issue is that it is very easy to spoof a phone number in a phone system. You can enter just about any number in there you want and that is what is sent out by the outgoing call for caller ID to use. We do it a lot of large businesses that dont want an company extension number to appear but maybe just the company's main phone number. So most of the spammers just change their outgoing phone numbers every so often to get around a lot of the blocks.

Rick F.

At home I use http://www.nomorobo.com on my land line, yea I still got one of those.

It is now available for apple phones and coming soon for android phones. It works so good at home I have to pick up the phone once in a while to see if it still works. If a call does sneak thru, I report it and it is added to their data base so that that scammer can get thru to anyone else. likewise if someone else gets a call before me and reports it then I will never see that call. It is very rare that I have to report calls.

As soon as NoMoRobo is available for android, I will switch from Hiya to NoMoRobo for my cell phone also.

I use the NQ Call Blocker app and it works well. It only allows calls thru that are in your contacts list. It will allow callers whom are not in your contacts list to leave a message or recording so you won't miss messages from say a Doctor's office or your bank that frequently use a private number. It also has a feature to back up your contacts list in case your phone crashes.

I have been using it for about 2 years now and am very pleased with it.

Jim

I use the NQ Call Blocker app and it works well. It only allows calls thru that are in your contacts list. It will allow callers whom are not in your contacts list to leave a message or recording so you won't miss messages from say a Doctor's office or your bank that frequently use a private number. It also has a feature to back up your contacts list in case your phone crashes.

I have been using it for about 2 years now and am very pleased with it.

Jim

Hiya does the same thing sends them directly to voice mail....

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

What am I doing right?? I read about folks having big problems with robo calls, and I get maybe one a month if I'm un-lucky.

When I do I set the phone down and let it play til it ends itself. I think?? it's because I only use the phone for calling and family texting.

It's an Android smart so it'll do a lot more than that, but I don't surf. Play solitare when waiting to see the Doc and no on line games.

The rest of the family have robo problems, but they are more savvy when it comes to these new phones.... Sometimes being old and slow

has it's advantages.... :smash2: :backinmyday:

I've been using Drupe for a while and really like it. The call block currently only sends calls to voicemail but hopefully will add a feature that will totally drop calls that are not on the contact list. Recently put in a request for that feature. Besides call blocking, probably the most useful feature of Drupe is that you can also drag and drop a contact to any app to call or text, such as SMS, What'sApp, Skype etc.

Condor: I use my phone in a similar way to you but have found the phone to be very useful for keeping shopping lists and a to-do list. So far I like Lister the best for that.

I've been using Drupe for a while and really like it. The call block currently only sends calls to voicemail but hopefully will add a feature that will totally drop calls that are not on the contact list. Recently put in a request for that feature. Besides call blocking, probably the most useful feature of Drupe is that you can also drag and drop a contact to any app to call or text, such as SMS, What'sApp, Skype etc.

Condor: I use my phone in a similar way to you but have found the phone to be very useful for keeping shopping lists and a to-do list. So far I like Lister the best for that.

All that other stuff is so much Greek to me.. I have a 5x7 yellow pad next to the computer and a pencil that takes care of shopping lists....and to-do lists.. :)

All that other stuff is so much Greek to me.. I have a 5x7 yellow pad next to the computer and a pencil that takes care of shopping lists....and to-do lists.. :)

Ya, got it. I used to keep my grocery list clipped to the fridge and managed to forget to take it with me close to 50% of the time. Since I always take my phone with me for safety reasons it made a lot of sense to me to use it for something. Installing an app is as simple as going to Google Play and downloading the app to your phone or to iTunes if you have an Apple.

Lister is free and easy to use. There are lots of other apps of course but after trying a bunch I ended up with that one because it was easy enough to use and flexible enough to create a list for each of the stores I shop at.

If, like me, you don't have data then the phone can connect to Google Play over WiFi.

Ya, got it. I used to keep my grocery list clipped to the fridge and managed to forget to take it with me close to 50% of the time. Since I always take my phone with me for safety reasons it made a lot of sense to me to use it for something. Installing an app is as simple as going to Google Play and downloading the app to your phone or to iTunes if you have an Apple.

Lister is free and easy to use. There are lots of other apps of course but after trying a bunch I ended up with that one because it was easy enough to use and flexible enough to create a list for each of the stores I shop at.

If, like me, you don't have data then the phone can connect to Google Play over WiFi.

Don't get me wrong, I do know all about installing apps on a phone. I just don't find a use for lots of them... My kids are a different story... :-) Solitaire, NOAA weather, FOX news, alarm clock and timer, plus a calendar to remind me of birthdays and I'm covered. I just don't live on the thing... However.... getting back to my original post.. I don't get robo or sales calls, and I don't do a thing to block them. So I must not be doing something wrong???

Don't get me wrong, I do know all about installing apps on a phone. I just don't find a use for lots of them... My kids are a different story... :-) Solitaire, NOAA weather, FOX news, alarm clock and timer, plus a calendar to remind me of birthdays and I'm covered. I just don't live on the thing... However.... getting back to my original post.. I don't get robo or sales calls, and I don't do a thing to block them. So I must not be doing something wrong???

Well this is sort of true if you think about it, But with allowing kids to use my account on there phones so they can download minecraft, roblox I guess I can see where maybe my info gets out but the only one I keep getting is about do you experience back pain yadayada wanting me to get some kind of brace and I tell them they dont help an dhang up, but the stuff I got on my cellphone sometimes come out of nowhere and dont make much sense to me... but you may have a valid point here..

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

My "cure" for robo calls has worked well. On my cell phone, I change my voice mail to no message or blank. I did notify my friends of this so they would leave message, but Mr. Robo has no clue and hangs up with no voice response....

I really don't want to say this, it might jinx my luck,,, but I'm with Condor. I only call, receive calls and text on my cell, hardly a spam in my history. When I do get one it goes on my reject list. Now my land line is a whole different story altogether. For $70 a month that thing is going places soon, a very long holiday!!

Im very tight with the # and the phone is off unless I go to town. Very few junk calls. For my home phone I had to change my number and then I only gave the number to friends and associates. I use a burner phone to call those that I dont trust with my real number. Besides if they dont leave a message then it was not important and I dont give it a second thought. Having your number circulating around spammers is nonrefundable, you cant put that **** back in the dog, might as well change your number and be very tight with it. Once you start getting hammered its all over for that number in my experience..

Edited by CaseyJ955